ladystorm

Bones You'd Like to See, thread #4

I want to see more options for verticality: sections, setpieces, places, scenery, etc. Preferably with built-in 1-inch grid breakouts. ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Skeletal packhorse.

Female steampunk martial artist.

Female martial artist.

More huge dragons.

Breed-specific dogs (an American Akita!).

Breed-specific horses, ie arabians, andulasians, clydesdales, shetland ponies, etc. there are enough generic horses, it would be wonderful to have more specific horses.

• Like 5

GWAR (1), or expies thereof

Large scale figures that work as adventurers (2)

Non-cheesecake Female Adventurers (3)

Some more adventurers in the Dark Haven and Dungeon Dwellers aesthetic

Generally more modern fantasy aesthetic stuff (4)

Aberrations and lovecraftian stuff

"Hero" goblins and kobolds (5)

More Medusa/Gorgon figures, preferably "Hero" type (6)

Tieflings, Half Orcs, and other races that aren't the usual "Fellowship" stuff

(1) It would be really cool to see Reaper and GWAR work together, and I'm sure they'd be interested, at least. If not, you could ape the aesthetic easily enough.

(2) In painting my figures and looking at the detail of the Lords of Hell vs the std scale, I really, really liked the LoH, and could definitely see using them as PC minis if they fit. Of course this means using larger grids, or using them simply as visual representation of each character that "lives" at their seat, while we use something smaller on the grid, but let us gamers worry about that :)

(3) Bones 4 had some really great female adventurers that were less sexualized and more empowered. But a lot still had comically defined breasts. And I get what the market is, but people who aren't so into that are a growing segment of the market. I'm not even saying to drop those sexualized minis altogether, just that it'd be cool to have some options that.... didn't look like fantasy themed strippers. It makes it standout more when you've got a character that actually is a stripper :P Failing that, at least balance things out with some sexualized male figures that aren't purely male power fantasy.

(4) The Dark Haven and Dungeon Dweller minis are a good start, but a lot of minis on the racks at stores still look like they stepped out 2e or off a 70s fantasy novel. Think WoW, The Witcher, Darksiders, and how characters have been illustrated in D&D since 3e.

(5) A lot of the goblins and kobolds I see are ugly/disgusting/weak looking mooks. The people who enjoy playing goblin and kobol PCs are definitely underserved here, and some capable adventurer looking protagonist goblins and kobolds would be really cool

(6) Just, generally, characters with snakes for hair, especially ones that look heroic/empowered, all the kind of points I hit above.

Edited by Korbl
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to see the pantheons of Norse & Greek gods (other cultures would be cool too) & some updated, more dynamically posed versions, both mounted & on foot, of the Four Horsemen. Plus, you couldn't go wrong with more catfolk or an actual cat dragon.

Edited by DavePgh
  • Like 4

Currently working my way through the Darkreach mushroom folk, and it made me think it would be cool to see some regular non-living "mushrooms of usual size".     It would be great to have the makings of a mushroom forest...perhaps in the 2" to 6" range.  

Maybe even a large Mushroom Dwelling; something in the size of the Chicken Shack...

• Like 4

Random thoughts on what I would like to see (and not see) for Bones 5 KS:

• Airship(s) One with balloons/magic system for flying, the other an Ebron (sp?) style airship. Done right they could also be used as sailing ships. I see a lot of people doing water and air encounters, so this seems like it would be good as an add-on continuing on from the barge.
  • Weapons and item sprues. The new stiffer bones black would be great for sprues of items. all weapons, rope, lanterns, backpacks & satchels, bedrolls, shields. There are so many items you can do. Anything that can be used to customize a generic model everyone has is welcome.
  • An expansion set of furniture and scene decoration. Tables, chairs, bookshelves, fireplace, beds, etc. Set dressing for buildings and dungeons where you may have encounters.
  • More monsters, less PCs Would be happy to trade off having 100 PCs for 50-75 medium to large scale monsters.
  • Large scale iron and clay golems
  • mammoth with optional howdah
  • Massive Kraken
  • Some new variety in a PCs (I said less PCs, but some new variants could be really helpful): More female characters that are actual adventurers and not pin-up models
  • More non-standard PC races: half-orcs, Gith, Dragonborn, and other races that aren't normally done. I don't need anymore humans, elves, dwarfs, etc.
  • No more townsfolk in this KS

Thanks!

• Like 5

Dire otter please!  There are not crocodiles or alligators in Western European style RPGs, and druids need a big fresh-water critter to transform into!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Why not break out the translucent bonsium and make a Will O'Wisp?  Fairly basic monster, don't think there is one in the line yet.  Be nice to replace the little led candle I use now.

And while you are making things out of "light", maybe some torches or lanterns or spell effects?  The modular hands on the dragon man from Bones 4 would make a good template for a spruce of custom hands with effects or lit items.  

• Like 6

I see a lot of people in this thread asking for different cultural sets (Mezoamerican, Greek, Egyptian), and in general I think those are good ideas. When I look up the tag "Japanese" in the online store, I see that there are a number of samurai and ronin style minis already available, and one ninja.  That makes me think that this is a popular culture for fantasy gaming, but, that the line could use a number of additions. 

For starters, there is only one female mini in the line, Mika, Female Samurai (SKU 03058).  She has on distinctlively Asian style footwear, but otherwise is not especially samurai-like, with her not-katanas, midriff-baring armor, and non traditional sashimono back banner.  She is a beautiful mini, but, adding a number of more traditional samurai options for female characters would be nice.

Also, there are dozen or so options for guys with swords.  How about some Kyudoka archers?  Maybe some Ashigaru spearmen?  Guns tend to be beyond the scope of my fantasy table, but, perhaps even a man or two armed with the teppo flintlock?  Even more than martial options some spellcasters would be nice, which guess would be men and women with staves, or scrolls, or wands (or fans, magic fans would be a nice touch)  in traditional medieval dress.

As a DM, my primary concern when looking at a line of minis is to have a good selection of bad guys.  Having six players pick out their characters is one thing.  Being able to table a credibly threatening force is another.  The current Japanese line has one obvious bad guy, the Jade Regent (SKU 60097), and one guy who looks bad but could just be in an Oni mask, Hiroku of Okura (SKU 02505).  Obviously the other samurai could be used as bad guys, but, since this is wish list, I would like to see a more sinister looking force developed.  Taking a page from Hiroku, this could easily be accomplished by sculpting a line of samurai in Oni masks.  Say four poses, variety of weapons, all clad in fanged horned masks over their helmets.  Giving them a leader or a caster similarly clad in Oni masks would tie together a group that could be tabled as a cohesive force.

And finally ninjas.  What good is a Japanese fantasy line without a plethora of ninjas?  Edo, Male Ninja (SKU 03081) is a great mini, who would be a great edition to the Bones line up all on his own, but, I don't think you should stop there.  Ninja (SKU 80032) could benifit from being produced in Bones new grey material if not Bones Black.  Reiko, Iconic Ninja (SKU 89036) is a good looking mini, but, why not have more than one?  Ninjas present such a wealth of distinct weaponry and equipment, that there should be any number of options for outfitting them, form swords and bows to chains and blowguns and shuriken.  And what game would not benefit from the occasional ninja attack?  Not just Japanese fantasy environments, but general fantasy, weird west, steampunk, superhero, modern, ... ninjas are like bacon, you can put them on anything.

So, in conclusion, Bones would be a great place to flesh out and fill in the Japanese line.  You could do a whole Bones 5 Expansion based around Japanese fantasy minis, with new characters, bad guys, ninjas and regional monsters and probably do quite well with it.  I know I would buy one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Now that we’ve had the little piggy that went to market (with his pumpkin cart), we need the other little piggy’s to complete the set.

The little piggy that stayed home.

The little piggy that had roast beef.

The little piggy that had none.

The little piggy that cried wee, wee all the way home.

I think it would be interesting to see how creative Reaper could be with their interpretations of the concepts.

Although I suppose the little piggy that the troll is holding up could be the one that cried wee wee wee all the way home... well, as far as the trolls home and cooking pit anyway.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 7/6/2019 at 7:40 AM, Chaoswolf said:

How about some (more) Bones buildings/scenery/terrain?

Was thinking about just this over the weekend. I am actually a little surprised that Reaper hasn't gone big into the terrain market. I can only think of one company that is doing a lot of terrain (I am sure there are others), but with Reaper's size and Bones setup they could do terrain on a massive scale at a price that works for most gamers. The most prohibitive knock on terrain I have seen is the cost, and with Bones and a large scale run they could get around that.

I'm a bit shocked they still don't at minimum have a set of modular dungeon and building walls. Maybe they have done the number crunching and the market isn't big enough for it?

• Like 6

I'll also put a voice in for more terrain, especially scatter terrain.  Would be nice to have inexpensive but high quality walls, buildings, and the like....  

Sure, there are MDF solutions which are relatively inexpensive, but at the same time, there's something to be said about Bones, where you would take it out of the box, do a quick bit of assembly with superglue, scrub it down with a toothbrush and soap, then go at it....  And you can do a lot more unique things with bonesium, compared to MDF ^_^

• Like 6

Lord of the Gnolls (SKU 02704), Pazuzu, (SKU 02206) and Demonic Lasher (SKU 02716)Are all very nice sculpts.  But, like Demon Lord of the Undead (SKU 77316) and Minotaur Demon Lord (SKU 77376), I think it is time for an upgrade.  While you guys are working your way through redesigning all the demons for Bones, don't forge the Big Guys.  Lord of Gnolls is about the same size as the current standard gnolls, he should be at least the size of an Ogre, if not bigger.  Pazuzu might not need to be huge, but, giving him at least a wingspan wide enough to really take off would be good.  And Demonic Lasher had ought to be Frost Giant size to say the least.  I have a regular sized Graz'zt, having an ogre sized one would be nice.  The recent Bones 4 Carnivorous Pudding and Fungal Queen make good stand ins for other famous demon lords, but it would be great to finsih off the Court of the Abyss in true to scale form.  Why should the Outer Gods get all the love?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the bones terrain pieces I have work great. And I would like to see more of them.

buckyball 

• Like 6