Bones You'd Like to See, thread #4

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents.  Other monsters and creatures.  There are loads of characters, goblins, orcs, kobalds, daemons, dragons, giants and the like.  With all of the reference material from a variety of games there are tonnes of "monster" or creatures that do not make it into print.  I realise that some of them would not be cost effective as they do not sell but it would be nice to see.  If this was a wish list then I would also add terrain components as mentioned above. 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

undead female warriors.. skeletons, zombies, wights.. etc

I get how female zombies and Wights would be needed, but female skeletons?

Aside from a chainmail bikini*, I don’t think the anatomical differences between male and female skeletons would be noticeable or relevant at 28mm scale.

*I jest

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Re:  more female monsters:

Spoiler

I think there are at least three ways (almost certainly more) to look at monster miniatures: 

One way is to view them as pawns for generically representing monsters for tabletop RPGs and other games, in which case, a single pose of generic male skeleton, zombie, or whatever is plenty.  (I find myself mostly in this camp:  I'm happy with cool sets of related or identical pawns to fill generic roles - such as a warband of guys who work just as well as orcs or hobgoblins - with a little variety, like female examples - being a bonus.)

Another way is to view the miniatures as individual works of art, to own and/or paint something that interests and pleases the artist or collector, in which case there's something to be said for cool and evocative individual monsters in a variety of costume, poses, etc., including female monsters:  I believe a lot of the "hero" monsters like female vampire or ghoul queen sculpts fall into this category, as do the Sophies... the competition painting, diorama building, and miniatures collecting markets for these, I think, would certainly welcome more variety for this sort of thing.

And then, there's an RPG market for unusual character miniatures, representing named NPCs such as recurring villains and the like, and unusual kinds of monsters for specific RPG adventures or wargaming factions which might have (for a hypothetical example) specify a warband of female orcs or whatever as part of the lore or story,  Female characters for this sort of thing can be tough to find, when you need them, outside of adapting those few "hero" monsters that fit what the story or GM and group have in mind.  (I also fall partly into this camp:  interesting minis to use as recurring villains or other memorable NPCs, or player-characters, depending on the game, are always welcome.)

It's just a question of how to make it work artistically... female zombies are probably easy, but even female skeletons are certainly do--able, as humorously over-the-top as the chainmail bikini joke might sound:  a skeleton in a wig and a dress isn't far off from a skeleton in a bikini:

• https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/vywAAOSwVR9dk6mV/s-l400.jpg

And of course, the female monster need not look pretty to leave a lasting impression!

I think the real question comes down to whether Reaper's artists and sculptures and developers are interested in the challenge, and whether there's a big enough market for the results.

In short, I think that for those of us who just need a handful of generic skeletons or zombies for our players to throw dice at from time to time, some plain, ordinary skeletons are just fine.  However, if Reaper were to produce unmistakably feminine and suitably evocative or artistic skeleton or zombie characters in the same spirit as Reaper's colourful vampiress, mummy, banshee, and ghoul-queen models, I would bet there's a market for female skeletons and other monsters which might also overlap the RPG market.

• Like 6
On 3/7/2021 at 7:05 PM, SamuraiJack said:

Female zombie warriors.. heck undead female warriors.. skeletons, zombies, wights.. etc

On 3/7/2021 at 10:01 PM, ksbsnowowl said:

Aside from a chainmail bikini*, I don’t think the anatomical differences between male and female skeletons would be noticeable or relevant at 28mm scale.

*I jest

On 3/8/2021 at 11:06 PM, Lidless Eye said:

I'd like to see a set of just Monstresses at this point.  Female Orcs, Bugbears, Ogresses, Hill Giantess, etc.  Could be a fun expansion on its own.

18 hours ago, YronimosW said:

Re:  more female monsters:

Hide contents

I think there are at least three ways (almost certainly more) to look at monster miniatures: 

One way is to view them as pawns for generically representing monsters for tabletop RPGs and other games, in which case, a single pose of generic male skeleton, zombie, or whatever is plenty.  (I find myself mostly in this camp:  I'm happy with cool sets of related or identical pawns to fill generic roles - such as a warband of guys who work just as well as orcs or hobgoblins - with a little variety, like female examples - being a bonus.)

Another way is to view the miniatures as individual works of art, to own and/or paint something that interests and pleases the artist or collector, in which case there's something to be said for cool and evocative individual monsters in a variety of costume, poses, etc., including female monsters:  I believe a lot of the "hero" monsters like female vampire or ghoul queen sculpts fall into this category, as do the Sophies... the competition painting, diorama building, and miniatures collecting markets for these, I think, would certainly welcome more variety for this sort of thing.

And then, there's an RPG market for unusual character miniatures, representing named NPCs such as recurring villains and the like, and unusual kinds of monsters for specific RPG adventures or wargaming factions which might have (for a hypothetical example) specify a warband of female orcs or whatever as part of the lore or story,  Female characters for this sort of thing can be tough to find, when you need them, outside of adapting those few "hero" monsters that fit what the story or GM and group have in mind.  (I also fall partly into this camp:  interesting minis to use as recurring villains or other memorable NPCs, or player-characters, depending on the game, are always welcome.)

It's just a question of how to make it work artistically... female zombies are probably easy, but even female skeletons are certainly do--able, as humorously over-the-top as the chainmail bikini joke might sound:  a skeleton in a wig and a dress isn't far off from a skeleton in a bikini:

• https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/vywAAOSwVR9dk6mV/s-l400.jpg

And of course, the female monster need not look pretty to leave a lasting impression!

I think the real question comes down to whether Reaper's artists and sculptures and developers are interested in the challenge, and whether there's a big enough market for the results.

In short, I think that for those of us who just need a handful of generic skeletons or zombies for our players to throw dice at from time to time, some plain, ordinary skeletons are just fine.  However, if Reaper were to produce unmistakably feminine and suitably evocative or artistic skeleton or zombie characters in the same spirit as Reaper's colourful vampiress, mummy, banshee, and ghoul-queen models, I would bet there's a market for female skeletons and other monsters which might also overlap the RPG market.

We actually started THIS THREAD to promote further discussion of diversity in miniatures.  I personally believe it's a larger issue than just a mini wish list.  And trying to boil it down to simple supply and demand misses the point of equitable representation.

I love how often requests like this show up on the Bones You'd Like to See thread, but if you wanted to take a moment to comment on the Diversity thread, I'm hoping our interests will catch the attention of some of the sculptors in the forums and encourage them to create the minis we're looking for!

• Like 6

Nope, a wish-list and an opportunity to back a Kickstarter for some cool miniatures are good enough for me :)

Bones I'd Like to See:  Please keep those oddball "kitchen sink" Chronoscope miniatures coming!  Doesn't matter what kind, exactly, so long as they are weird and the competition isn't already doing them - surprise me :)

I'm just happy every time a Reaper Kickstarter uneils something a little different from the generic D&D and medieval/dark-ages fantasy wargame-friendly army-men, race/class combos, and monsters:  I know those usual-suspect orcs, goblins, undead, dwarves, elves, beardy wizards, and dragons are crowd-pleasers, but the opportunity to also snag a handful of cowboys, steampunkers, aliens, investigators, or whatever along with them is what keeps me coming back to these Kickstarters!

• Like 4
On 3/7/2021 at 10:01 PM, ksbsnowowl said:

*I jest

No, I think that'd be awesome actually!  :lol:

I'd like to see more space pirates, and more of the space goblin minis.

• Like 3

So this is my idea for Bones VI

"The Dark Forest"

A set of Modular and monolithic trees, that can be used for the majority of campaigns. It would consist of a few smaller trees that can be used as regular scatter terrain on like 2"-3" bases, these could be made to allow the clusters of leaves to be removed. Some larger Landmark trees 3"-4", think the Tree of Despair, small tree houses, nests, hollows, and maybe a fairy town. Then a few large multi part trees that have parts that can be swapped out, such as an elven houses, shrines, wizard towers, or maybe even a nest for a Roc. 

• Like 5

Oh boy, there's no end to the stuff I would love to see in bones.  Every one of these would be terrible for my wallet...

Existing Metal Minis
Master Spy (60087)
Visbaronetess Delour Aulamaxa (60036)
Goblin Wolf (02710)
Merchant & Henchman (02548)
Olav Gunderson, Dwarf Gambler (50319)
Western Desert Dragon (03670...possibly new sculpt?)
First Mate Higgins (50348)
Admiral Gnoph (50345)

Worm Corpse (03023...possibly new sculpt?)

Things that are Legally Distinct from the Following...
Darkmantle
Demon, Dretch
Devil, Barbed  
Devil, Spined
Homunculus
Lamia
Merrow (demon mermaid version)
Modron, Pentadrone
Modron, Quadrone
Modron, Tridrone
Quaggoth
Salamander
Yugoloth, Mezzoloth
Yugoloth, Nycaloth

An Expansion Legally Distinct from Spelljammer with Legally Distinct...
Neogi
Gith
Giff

More Bathalians

Misc Wish List...
Elephant people (specifically one playing multiple instruments...)
Snake swarms
Rhinocerous
Giant vultue (2")
Giant wasp (2")
Giant sea horse (2")
Giant lizard (2")
Giant bat (2")
Giant hyena (2"
Giant goat (2")
Giant ants (...2"?)
Pteranodon
Giant gnoll demon (an updated 02704 in the style of the "Demonic Lasher")
Giant goat demon (an updated 77316 in the style of the "Demonic Lasher")
Elementals with armor (2")
An alternative pose enlarged dark dwarf

Large dragons with wings like the Western Desert Dragon that would look good with metallic colors

...finally seconding the female monsters!

• Like 3

Here are just a few of the models I would like to see Bones versions of:

• Silverhorn Unicorn 2064
  • Greycloud Pegasus 2065
  • Raindancer Pegasus 2150
  • Starmane Unicorn 2151
  • Shawna Wolfsister 2451
  • Amber Dracomancer 2452
  • Alicorn 2951
  • Barros & Tempest 3096 (with a clear flying base)
  • Storm Steed 3124
  • Hippocampus 3172
  • Roderic Ambermead & Glitter 3264
  • More werewolves
  • More things with wings
  • More terrain like the Mystic Circle (77556)
  • Like 5

I've written it in here before, but I'd like to see a Feywild expansion or encounter set. Multiples of the small fey like Pixies, Darklings or Redcaps for encounter building would be great.

But just in general, the imagination and character brought to many of the newer Bones sets would make for amazing seelie/unseelie court Fae and related creatures.

• Like 8