Bones You'd Like to See, thread #4

3 hours ago, SotF said:

A few sets of shields would be nice. Some of the basic "viking" round shields, and perhaps a more "shield" shaped ones if not more types with a sprue each (I'd love to see ones like the Anhurian Cavalry shield). The harder plastic of the Bones USA or the translucent ones would be great with it.

Barricades with spikes that can be used for scatter would be nice.

I think the “shield shape” term you are looking for is Kite Shield. 

Barricades would be cool. Something like a cheval de frise would be awesome. 

I came here today to add KJELL BLOODBEAR, BARBARIAN (SKU: 03362) to the list of mini’s desired in Bones Black. This guy needs to make an appearance in one of my future D&D games. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, vpoirier000 said:

doesn't need to be complicated right?
make it clear and include water
this would be a great piece

Complicated as in for printing. The various fish shapes lead to allot of supports:

(actual free file that is out there right now)

710x528_13965856_8424544_1460723314_1_0.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, haldir said:

Swarm of Quippers (fish).

There is a 3d file for these but it's a very complicated piece & sometimes doesn't print well. It would be nice to see this one & other swarm minis out there.

Now I have a longing for fish swarms... never knew I needed them before!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, haldir said:

Complicated as in for printing. The various fish shapes lead to allot of supports:

(actual free file that is out there right now)

710x528_13965856_8424544_1460723314_1_0.

its a quick sketch, but i was thinking something like this

Sans titre-1.jpg

• Like 3

On the subject of swarms, I too would love a quipper swarm.

I'd also love a swarm of spellbooks, which I recently ran across as a monster for Candlekeep Mysteries, and didn't have a great proxy for.

Snake swarms and grub/maggot swarms would be awesome to have.

Finally, I'd love to see the murder of crows or a raven swarm brought to the bones material. Very useful for Curse of Strahd!

• Like 6
On 6/17/2021 at 10:40 PM, ksbsnowowl said:

I think the “shield shape” term you are looking for is Kite Shield. 

Barricades would be cool. Something like a cheval de frise would be awesome.

The kite shield is one of many with variations on the shape such as the heater shield with it. There's a few others with the same basic shape, but it's the one most think of with a generic shield shape.

For barricades, the ones that I keep trying to think of how to make one of are the basic type that show up in a lot of places in Rohan with LotRO's stuff A triangular frame with long spikes protruding in 3 rows and boards blocking the rest of the frame there.

• Like 1
On 6/18/2021 at 7:36 PM, vpoirier000 said:

its a quick sketch, but i was thinking something like this

Sans titre-1.jpg

Yah that would work. It would eliminate the need for a "flying stand" approach to the mini.

Since my new character tonight is a bugbear rogue (he uses a rapier to use his DEX bonus), but it would be nice if Reaper would put out a no shield bugbear in the current style line up. Almost all of Reaper's uses "board & weapon" style.

• Like 3

I think a dragon plane would be a neat BonesUSA figure. A jet plane with wings, tail, and face of a dragon decorating it.

Possibly with weapons, like a laser cannon or missile ports, maybe both... It could be for Chronoscope, or Roog or Arko use.

And I'd like to vote ixnay on a lighthouse whale. I mean seriously? ::P:

• Like 1
On 6/17/2021 at 7:29 PM, SotF said:

A few sets of shields would be nice. Some of the basic "viking" round shields, and perhaps a more "shield" shaped ones if not more types with a sprue each (I'd love to see ones like the Anhurian Cavalry shield). The harder plastic of the Bones USA or the translucent ones would be great with it.

Barricades with spikes that can be used for scatter would be nice.

If it helps, after dabbling around in various 28mm hard-plastic multi-part historical and fantasy wargame figure kits for a couple years, I've ended up with tons and tons of great basic shields, with the round shields being the most common.  The plastic bonds excellently with Reaper Bones, and they make great conversion bits.

On top of that, these kits also include heads and arms holding various weapons that also make great conversion bits, and frequently include other gear as well (backpacks, pouches, potion bottles, scabbards, quivers, spellbooks, staves, wands, musical instruments, and lots more).

Just the hard plastic swords and spears in those kits are just about worth the price of some of the cheaper kits, for replacing Bonesium "noodle weapons"!  The hard plastic tends to lend itself well to highly detailed faces and so on, too, and the heads can often make fair head-swap replacements for older Bones figures with indistinct faces... not all Bones figures lend themselves well to head swaps, but when they do, these kits usually provide a great variety of heads to work with.

Check around on the usual auction sites for leftover sprues from such kits, or look for online specialty shops that sell loose 28mm miniature bits - if you can get a few cheap sprues, they're great to have around for spare parts.

That said, as always, if Reaper were to try weapons/shields and other accessory sprues again - revive the Bones Armory sprues - I definitely wouldn't hesitate to get more!

• Like 3

A 600 pound panther companion in a dynamic pouncing pose or a sleek stalking pose. Possibly coming out of the mist/figurine. We all know the one 🙂

A giant hermit crab monster with kanjiras skull as a shell

Edited by SandyBFB
  • Like 4

((Editing my post after receiving Bones V and taking its offerings into account. Some were already covered!))

I needed a child mini for a candlekeep adventure, and it made me realize that if you were to do villagers again for bones 6, some children of all the various races would be awesome for storytelling purposes. Not adventurer/adventuring children. Just npc children. Would love to see:

• m/f human children
  • gnome/halfling child
  • elven child
  • dwarven child
  • dragonborn child
  • tiefling child
  • orc child
  • goblin child
  • gnoll child

On the further subject of villagers, would love to see:

• unarmed, but winter garbed northern or forest dwelling npcs.
  • scholar-robed-unarmed elf, human, gnome, dragonborn, kenku, tiefling (candlekeep has many acolytes in the modules as would many libraries or scholarly npc who give you quests)
  • well-to-do merchant
  • potion seller
  • non-human villagers. SO MANY NON HUMAN VILLAGERS
Edited by undel
  • Like 6

Bopping back into this thread (again) to talk about giants. With Bones V coming in and me running Adventurers League and a home game, I've been freshly reacquainted with my collection as well as the modules I run and what they need and I would like to own 😉

Running storm king's thunder for my home game. Wish list for the following additions to the giants:

• Female Hill Giant
  • Boerogg Blackrime, Frost Giant Jarl in a scale more in keeping with the other frost giants and the "huge" size of giants in 5e.
  • Male Cloud Giant
  • Robed Female Storm Giant
  • Warrior Female Storm Giant

And stuff I've run into that I don't have good proxies for:

• Azer (it's an elemental that looks like a fire dwarf)
  • Meenlock (evil fae insect-looking small)
  • Wereraven (they're in curse of strahd and book of the raven, and are flight capable with wings on the back like aarakocra.)
  • Like 3

OK, now that I've seen it, I need more ships like Sophie's Revenge!  I need a high fantasy orc battle barge with which to do battle!  A massive undead cruiser!  A demonic ship of the line, crewed with the devil himself!

But I realize that this baby is probably gonna be unique.  It's HUGE.   I have the undead barge and it's neat, but wouldn't last 30 seconds in a battle with Sophie's Revenge. 

Sure would love to see Reaper make more large models like this - terrain, village houses, ships, what about Chariots for wargames?  Have they ever thought about doing Chariots???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1