Bones You'd Like to See, thread #4

ladystorm

I really like the "build-a-pirate" set, and would love to see more of that sort of "Build-an-NPC" thing, in a variety of genres!

I think something of the sort could be dropped into pretty much any themed expansion, such as a build-a-viking set for a Norse-themed expansion, and it would be a simple, cost-effective way to fill out the expansions, something I think that most gamers could easily make use of and probably buy extras of.

Spoiler

For those who haven't seen it yet, it was three (identical) generic pirate crewman bodies, with a sprue of three different heads, and three different pairs of arms with simple weapons (hand-axe, dagger, black-powder pistol, cutlass....)  They could be assembled mix-and-match style into a random mob of generic pirate crewmen, and for even more variety, they mix really well with the boxes of hard plastic historical and fantasy wargaming minis produced by other companies (which always include a few extra heads and arms that mostly fit really well on the pirate bodies!)

They're perfect for small batches of generic characters in similar costumes or uniforms.  Stuff like labcoat scientists, suit-and-tie-guys, cops, gangsters, soldiers, thugs, bystanders, apocalypse survivors, cowboys, native warriors, astronauts, starship redshirts, biohazard suit guys, mechanic's jumpsuit guys....  

For fantasy gamers, it's a fine way to fill out those elusive non-human townsfolk niches: build-a-halfling, build-an-orc, build-a-dwarf, build-an-elf, build-a-zombie, build-a-henchman....

It might just be me, but I think this sort of thing might work especially well when it includes tools - scanners, wrenches, mobile phones, cameras, flashlights, shovels, lanterns, books, whatever - along with only the commonest of weapons, so that they do dual-purpose as civilians, or as offbeat warbands of militia, goon, etc. (not to mention that the tools would be great for a supply of hard-to-find kitbashing parts for other mini projects!)

With the idea of including a Build-an-NPC kit in themed expansions, I think about what could have been with previous Kickstarters:

Bones III: 

• Mythos Expansion:  build-a-cultist and/or build-an-investigator
  • Graveyard Expansion:  build-a-zombie

Bones IV:

• Dreadmere:  build-a-townsfolk
  • Darkreach:  build-a-darkelf, build-a-duergar, build-a-gnome...

Bones V:

• Dungeon Dwellers:  build-a-skeleton, build-an-orc, build-a-zombie, build-a-goblin, build-a-kobold
  • Daimyo:  build-a-samurai
  • Greek Odyssey:  build-an-Argonaut
  • Brinewind:  build-a-zombie, build-a-zombie

Any:

• any fantasy:  build-an-Anhurian, build-a-townsfolk (dwarf, elf, halfling, orc...)
  • any Chronoscope: 
    • build-a-Novacorp
    • build-an-IMEF
    • build-a-starship-redshirt
    • build-a-spaceman
    • build-a-cop/security
    • build-a-gangster
    • build-a-spy / build-a-corporate-suit
    • build-an-apocalypse-survivor
    • build-a-wasteland-punk-ganger
    • build-a-labcoat-scientist
    • build-an-alien (humanoid sci-fi costume bodies with generic alien heads and hands; build-a-Rach, build-a-Malvernis, buld-an-Andromedan....)
    • build-a-cowboy
    • build-a-soldier
    • build-a-mutant
    • build-a-zombie
    • build-a-biohazard-suit-guy
    • build-a-bystander (suit-and-tie, jeans-and-t-shirt, etc.)
    • build-an-investigator
    • build-a-superhero
    • build-a-mechanic (jumpsuit bodies with arms holding hand tools and power tools)
    • build-a-cyborg (generic sci-fi bodies with cyborg arms and heads with eyepieces and other greeblies - you will be assimilated!)
    • build-a-robot
    • build-a-steampunker
  • CAV:  build-a-battlemech

Sure, I think some of those ideas might be over-played (there are plenty of skeletons, zombies, orcs, and goblins already, is there a market for build-an-NPC versions?  I don't know), and some of those ideas might not be for everyone (seems like Chronoscope is a hard sell to fantasy gamers), but that's just the inspiration I got from scanning over the last three Kickstarters!

• Like 7

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/17/2021 at 5:09 AM, YronimosW said:

I really like the "build-a-pirate" set, and would love to see more of that sort of "Build-an-NPC" thing, in a variety of genres!

I think something of the sort could be dropped into pretty much any themed expansion, such as a build-a-viking set for a Norse-themed expansion, and it would be a simple, cost-effective way to fill out the expansions, something I think that most gamers could easily make use of and probably buy extras of.

Reveal hidden contents

For those who haven't seen it yet, it was three (identical) generic pirate crewman bodies, with a sprue of three different heads, and three different pairs of arms with simple weapons (hand-axe, dagger, black-powder pistol, cutlass....)  They could be assembled mix-and-match style into a random mob of generic pirate crewmen, and for even more variety, they mix really well with the boxes of hard plastic historical and fantasy wargaming minis produced by other companies (which always include a few extra heads and arms that mostly fit really well on the pirate bodies!)

They're perfect for small batches of generic characters in similar costumes or uniforms.  Stuff like labcoat scientists, suit-and-tie-guys, cops, gangsters, soldiers, thugs, bystanders, apocalypse survivors, cowboys, native warriors, astronauts, starship redshirts, biohazard suit guys, mechanic's jumpsuit guys....  

For fantasy gamers, it's a fine way to fill out those elusive non-human townsfolk niches: build-a-halfling, build-an-orc, build-a-dwarf, build-an-elf, build-a-zombie, build-a-henchman....

It might just be me, but I think this sort of thing might work especially well when it includes tools - scanners, wrenches, mobile phones, cameras, flashlights, shovels, lanterns, books, whatever - along with only the commonest of weapons, so that they do dual-purpose as civilians, or as offbeat warbands of militia, goon, etc. (not to mention that the tools would be great for a supply of hard-to-find kitbashing parts for other mini projects!)

With the idea of including a Build-an-NPC kit in themed expansions, I think about what could have been with previous Kickstarters:

Bones III: 

• Mythos Expansion:  build-a-cultist and/or build-an-investigator
  • Graveyard Expansion:  build-a-zombie

Bones IV:

• Dreadmere:  build-a-townsfolk
  • Darkreach:  build-a-darkelf, build-a-duergar, build-a-gnome...

Bones V:

• Dungeon Dwellers:  build-a-skeleton, build-an-orc, build-a-zombie, build-a-goblin, build-a-kobold
  • Daimyo:  build-a-samurai
  • Greek Odyssey:  build-an-Argonaut
  • Brinewind:  build-a-zombie, build-a-zombie

Any:

• any fantasy:  build-an-Anhurian, build-a-townsfolk (dwarf, elf, halfling, orc...)
  • any Chronoscope: 
    • build-a-Novacorp
    • build-an-IMEF
    • build-a-starship-redshirt
    • build-a-spaceman
    • build-a-cop/security
    • build-a-gangster
    • build-a-spy / build-a-corporate-suit
    • build-an-apocalypse-survivor
    • build-a-wasteland-punk-ganger
    • build-a-labcoat-scientist
    • build-an-alien (humanoid sci-fi costume bodies with generic alien heads and hands; build-a-Rach, build-a-Malvernis, buld-an-Andromedan....)
    • build-a-cowboy
    • build-a-soldier
    • build-a-mutant
    • build-a-zombie
    • build-a-biohazard-suit-guy
    • build-a-bystander (suit-and-tie, jeans-and-t-shirt, etc.)
    • build-an-investigator
    • build-a-superhero
    • build-a-mechanic (jumpsuit bodies with arms holding hand tools and power tools)
    • build-a-cyborg (generic sci-fi bodies with cyborg arms and heads with eyepieces and other greeblies - you will be assimilated!)
    • build-a-robot
    • build-a-steampunker
  • CAV:  build-a-battlemech

Sure, I think some of those ideas might be over-played (there are plenty of skeletons, zombies, orcs, and goblins already, is there a market for build-an-NPC versions?  I don't know), and some of those ideas might not be for everyone (seems like Chronoscope is a hard sell to fantasy gamers), but that's just the inspiration I got from scanning over the last three Kickstarters!

I agree with this one.  I would like to see more variety in the bodies, though. 

I know Build-a-Guards were shown off a while ago but never released.  I don't think BonesUSA or BonesBlack were out yet, which seem like the best material for these kind of kits.

• Like 4

As a new figure painter that also has tremors (both essential tremors and tardive dyskinesia) I would like to see a line of less intricate minis. That would allow for ease of painting and miniatures to practice with for developing techniques.

Also, can we get a line of orcs without armor, or very little armor. Most orcs produced recently by all companies are as well armored as knights and better armed and armored than the lower level adventuring companies that are likely to encounter them.

Thanks!

Edited by Jim R
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Jim R said:

As a new figure painter that also has tremors (both essential tremors and tardive dyskinesia) I would like to see a line of less intricate minis. That would allow for ease of painting and miniatures to practice with for developing techniques.

As a long time figure painter who's just getting older, I second this request.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to see a few dollies for different body sizes for species. Perhaps sold in a male/female pack with human, halfling/goblin/child, orc, and some other more general body types (Elves and humans tend to be close enough to work for both.

A multipack of a skeleton without arms or equipment (or integral base) similar to the one with Professor Laura Pringle, but different enough that it could be shifted in pose. It's hard to find just plain skeletons that can be used for things in scenarios.

A bones version of the bones pack would also be nice.

• Like 2

I'd love to see more feywild type stuff. 

Fairies, pixies sprites, fairydragons, wisps, boggles, quicklings, dryads, korreds etc

There are also a few Metal figures that would be great in bones, especially with the worldwide cost of metal increasing. Hopefully some of these are lined up for Bones 6 as there were a number of metal figures in Bones 5, and some have made it into Bones USA.

14623 - Spirit Wolf
03581 - Kieron, Ranger
03484 - Karlov Diedrich, Wizard
03294 - Tobias Winterhorn, Druid
02888 - Trathus Varr, Wizard
04013 - Amari, Adventuring Wizard
04010 - Hanei, Female Warrior

04011 - Maskarr Stoneskin, Half Giant Warrior
04009 - Vodelis Winterhand

03836 - Jakob Jansen, Monk

04006 - Arik Axereaver, Barbarian

60174 - Jirelle, Iconic Swashbuckler

60162 - Nolevniss Azrinae

03667 - Nonalla Ellinad, Elf Wizard

03654 - Esmeria, Half Elf Monk

60147 - Druid and Familiar

60138 - Sheila Heidmarch, Venture Captain

60109 - Styrian Kindler

03606 - Ellus Mann, Wizard

14630 - Dramorion, Dark Elf Sorcerer

60073 - The Stag Lord

60064 - Nature Warden

02552 - Elisha Lights Edge

02344 - Catherine O'Mannon

Familiars in Bones instead of metal would also be great.

• Like 7

Upon seeing Zenfis Zadar, the wizard with a pseudo dragon - I suddenly remembered I want a thief/assassin/generally shady character with a familiar like that. My ideal candidate is a human male and would look like a mixup of Kurff the swift and Romag Davl. He does wear a short cape and a mustache. He carries a rapier and a length of chain wrapped around his wrist.                ...and of course the winged reptilian familiar

• Like 2

In the last Kickstarter I got a giant pumpkin headed scarecrow and an Overgourd which screamed "Halloween-themed Adventure!"  I got a Krampus, which screams "Christmas-themed Adventure!"  Well, I am looking for a Thanksgiving-themed Adventure to pass the time in between.  How about Gobbler the Turkeybear? He would look mostly like a standard Owlbear, but he would have a rounder, more wrinkled head, be a bit plumper, have a snood on his beak, and a magnificent fan of tailfeathers.  I would use him in an adventure that would combine the story of the Pilgrims and Wampanoag sharing a feast with the tale of Beowulf and the nocturnal raids of Grendel.  The characters would join a group of locals in a feast of friendship and gratitude.  After the meal, as they sit around the fire sharing a warming drink, a haunting gobble comes warbling though the nearby forests.  Then, the nervous natives tell the tale of a viscous beast that only comes during the harvest celebration, carrying off the tribes warriors who have succumbed to long naps after the huge meal ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Propaganda said:

In the last Kickstarter I got a giant pumpkin headed scarecrow and an Overgourd which screamed "Halloween-themed Adventure!"  I got a Krampus, which screams "Christmas-themed Adventure!"  Well, I am looking for a Thanksgiving-themed Adventure to pass the time in between.  How about Gobbler the Turkeybear? He would look mostly like a standard Owlbear, but he would have a rounder, more wrinkled head, be a bit plumper, have a snood on his beak, and a magnificent fan of tailfeathers.  I would use him in an adventure that would combine the story of the Pilgrims and Wampanoag sharing a feast with the tale of Beowulf and the nocturnal raids of Grendel.  The characters would join a group of locals in a feast of friendship and gratitude.  After the meal, as they sit around the fire sharing a warming drink, a haunting gobble comes warbling though the nearby forests.  Then, the nervous natives tell the tale of a viscous beast that only comes during the harvest celebration, carrying off the tribes warriors who have succumbed to long naps after the huge meal ...

how about a dire turkey?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1