VolksFest

My First Diorama - "Occupational Health and Safety" (with 03122, 77143, 77017)

SURPRISE! That is a SPLENDID narrative creation. The composition & the positioning make the piece. Your basing & brushwork are TERRIFIC. I love the way his face appears to be illuminated by the lantern. VERY NICELY DONE!

• Like 2

Thank you all for the encouragement. There are indeed a ton of things I would have done differently such as the OSL but well time to move on.. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cyradis
      The pictures suck but eh, whatever. I'll see about getting better ones when it is done.

This is a "sorry I was a dick to your character" figure because I'm about to be a dick to this player's character. But I'm running a necromancy campaign and he's a priest of death who is scared of dying, and the villains are known to kidnap people who might be useful... too tempting of a backstory to mess with and the player is cool with character deaths. Heh. 

Anyway. Aside from that the character is Super Magicky and has an Aussie magpie as a familiar (making the bird a PITA to paint). 

The figure is the Stephanie Law Male Mage by Dark Sword, and the crow on a rock from the kickstarter. I clipped the staff off the mage, and glued the hand into place facing downward. After removing the bird from the rock, I attached it with much frustration, glue, and greenstuff. I also yanked it off the base and put it on this one from either MicroArtStudio or Secret Weapon (forgot which). 

The character wears black and gray and red and has black hair. And a black and white bird. Great. And he's pale. 

OSL: magic on ground from below - red. Magic in hand - teal. Moonlight from above - white with wee bit of blue. 

Almost done, not quite. Don't tell my IRL friends! No spoilers!

• By Garbosch
      The idea was to build a little diorama with the header "Make peace, not war"

I called the result "Flower Power". I think the mage is from Reaper, but I'm not sure. The orc and the wraith are both from an really old range from GW. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

• By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone! Major post today, I completed the Cat Critters display base. I went for a simple arrangement this time. It’s a thematic chest-like display board. I opted for a Roman style setup; mosaic pavement tiling, marble pillars and royal purple flowers.

It was interesting to work with different product from many companies on this project. The CatCritters are from Darksword Miniatures, they were all sculpted by talented David Summers.

Here’s for the technical information; The marble lions are from Reaper Miniatures, 77341 and were Sculpted by Geoff Valley. The pillars are from Wizkids. I made the pavement texture using a Green Stuff World rolling pin. The background wall was made with a Town Square from Tabletop World. The cavalry base I mounted the lion statues on are from Games Workshop. The synthetic grass and tuft are from the Army Painter, Woodland Scenics and Green Stuff World. Lastly, I made the vine-like tree with real roots. To build the board I also used a pine plank, Masonite hard board, Milliput, Jovi Plastilina, Green Stuff natural stones and sand. To paint the models and the display base I used Reaper Miniatures MSP paint and Citadel inks.

Each model was mounted on a 50mm base.

Black Cat Avenging Thief, DSM7969

Ali Sparrow the Female Cat Pirate, DSM7971

Augustus Tribute the Emperor Cat, DSM7986

King Richard the Lion, DSM7999

Scottish Wildcat Warrior, DSM8006

Pretty Pretty Princess the Victorian Female Cat, DSM8017

Brave Sir Robin the Scaredy Cat, DSM8018

"Bean" the Cthulhu Cat, DSM8028

Ella the Cat Rogue, DSM8077

Archer the Grumpy Cat Warlock, DSM8078

Nom the Cat Paladin, DSM8079

Cat Warrior with Battle Axe, DSM8103

Frankie - Cat Rogue with Dagger, DSM8104

Scottish Fold Cat Cleric with Warhammer, DSM8110

Birman Cat Bard with Ale and Lute, DSM8111

Persian Cat Warrior the Dual Wield, DSM8112

Siamese Cat Wizard with Staff, DSM8113

Asha the Cat Rogue, DSM8114

Sphynx Cat Druid with Staff, DSM8116

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed.
    • By vhaidra
      I decided today is a good day for showing you the truth

Originally my plan was to post my wips up from the very beginning for one reason and that is for you to see that there is no need to fear the paint. This is the most important lesson I`ve learnt through all this years of painting: Don`t fear the paint!!!

You can mess around with acrylics same way like you can do with oil paints. You can put them wet in wet in on the figure and just mess around with them how you like. You just have to take care that your layers of paint are not as thick that the paint obscure some fine details, but apart from that you can simply push and pull it around in a (semitransparent rather opaque consistency) on the miniature in a quite chaotic way and I tell you this is massive fun. This is the most joyful part in painting, because you don`t need to be carefully at all. This is also a very good way for practising and learning highlighting, because you can try out different light scenarios, before you make your final decision.

This is what I call: Making first a very rough sketch.

This is the stage where you can simply try things. If you don`t like it....no problem, just paint it over and try a different sketch of the highlighting. The problem with starting very clean up from the very beginning is: You are not flexible anymore. You fear to damage what you have already painted and you stick to something which is might not the best solution, but you stick to it, because you have already spent a couple of hours with painting it up to this stage and this blocks your creativity.

Unleashed creativity starts always with chaos. The chaos gives you the chance to change your direction again and to try out a couple of things before you make your final decision.

Most of my actual wips are far beyond the chaos stage already, but Gandalf is right now in the absolutely chaos stage and so I have got the chance to post at least one of the wips which are at the very, very beginning. I just spent a very short time with him until now and what you see here is only a very first and rough sketch of the osl. As you see, I ignore all other details and I just mess around with my paints for to find out which way the osl might look good in the end. So this is all in heavy progress/movement. Can be that the next wips look completely different, but the overall direction became gradually clear for me in the meantime.

OSL:
      Well this is a complicated OSL because:
      - There is coming white light from above from his staff
      - There is coming orange light from the Balrog in front of him
      - And for making it finaly complicated there is also coming light from below (he is standing on such a stone bridge) because in the abyss there are a lot of torches at the walls below.

So I have to paint 3 lightsources here. 1 in white and 2 in orange and red (fire colours).

Everything here is just done very rudimentary. This is why all looks very unclean and messy, but this is actually exactly the way my paintjobs all look in the very beginning.

Technique: For the moment I just mix the light colours (white, orange, red) with the grey of his robe and with dark grey at the shadows and I apply it very quickly and combine wet in wet with some very rough and quick layering with more opaque paints for making fast progress. I do absolutely not care about cleanliness. I`m not sure yet about the reflections at the sword and try different things here right now. At the moment the osl looks more like rust than like light, but it is just because it is not workout yet. Later the highlights will be more orange and brighter and then it will work. What you see here are rather the midtones of the osl.

Concept: Simply the movie scene which means that the base will be a piece of this stone bridge he is standing on in the movie. Not a big deal.

The challenge here is not the base, but this complicated OSL, his face will also be challenging. Well here it is, don`t get a shock

• Who's Online   33 Members, 4 Anonymous, 48 Guests (See full list)