Since this will be my very first ReaperCon, I thought I'd memorialize the occasion with my first Work In Progress post!  My hope is to have this finished in time to bring it to ReaperCon with me, but I'm sufficiently inexperienced that I'm not sure if that's realistic.  Still, I find all the encouragement and insight you guys offer really inspiring -- so I'm being brave!

59b34dd5abd42_GreyLiner.thumb.jpg.deb6c0883425d11a2a1975f7710b8f16.jpg

The plan is to transform Goremaw into an Arakis sandworm, complete with little Fremen rider.  Haven't decided yet how I'm going to do the riding hooks.  I'll jump that worm when I come to it.  :lol:

Basecoat.thumb.jpg.7d4c47e7109e467bcaa8735cf9a6d42c.jpg

Started with a basecoat of Reaper MSP Ruddy Leather over good ol' Brown Liner.  Teeth and spines are MSP Creamy Ivory.  I've got some other browns lined up for highlighting, with something lighter and more sand-colored for the belly.  I'm hoping to incorporate some orangey tones (maybe as a wash over the brown?).  Nothing stark, just something to tie in to the orange-colored spice that the sandworms are associated with.

I'm admittedly very intimidated by this whole project!  I don't think I have a very good ability to do interesting things with colors, so am a little worried that I'm just going to end up with something that looks like a stale Tootsie Roll.  In an effort to avoid that, I've been using this little guy as a mini-me sandworm to experiment on before putting colors on the big model.

59b34fcbcbf1a_LittleBuddy.jpg.55a88fe60e509e0166b69af95ef5fcb4.jpg

Rawr.jpg.5337e240f1646e0b78a92e5dbbc32e30.jpg

Rawr!

Comments and critiques always welcome.  Shai Hulud!

• Like 19

I am liking your color choice (lol to stale tootsie roll). With shading and highlights, these are both going to look very cool! I haven't decided on color schemes for mine yet. I keep seeing such well painted ones here on the forums and can't decide which colors I like the best!

You're off to a great start!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I'm already liking the subtle stripes on the mini-worm.

Thanks, fellow canid!  That was actually a "happy accident" while experimenting with the colors -- I'm going to try for that kind of striation on the big guy, but more following the existing ridges. 

• Like 2

I got to put in a few hours on my sandworm today, although I'm not sure that's obvious from the results.  :wacko:  The only part of the worm I worked on was the very front rill.  Before this, the only big things I've worked on have been some of the previous Bones dragons -- and I've never been 100% happy with the results.  I don't have a very good track record of getting big pieces to look the way I see them in my head.  So I'm leery of just attacking the whole huge piece until I'm at least a little sure about what I'm doing (and how).

So I did a few layers of building up some highlights using a mixture of the Ruddy Leather base with progressively more Griffon Tan, aiming for eventually getting a final highlight of pure Griffon Tan.  I tried to leave the recesses alone so the Ruddy Leather was still visible.

59b5e31376103_FirstHighlight.jpg.0cc5ecd45fef1e8703622722e5ef2105.jpg

Still, by the time I got to where I wanted, I felt like I'd lost the dark areas.  So I hit everything with a brown ink wash to try and intensify the recesses.

59b5e31f9a998_BrownInk.jpg.ce54fcba63787e273e506dec0516aa9f.jpg

That, of course, dulled down the highlighting!  Which I wasn't confident was enough anyway.  So I put a smaller, brighter, more careful layer of Griffon Tan over the high points.

59b5e324422f3_FinalHighlight.jpg.33215bf10ee6698c650242d907a67483.jpg

I'm actually a little annoyed, because it looks better in the photo than it does in real life!  I don't think I was very successful with blending.  In addition, the lighter parts are very chalky, and I can't seem to knock that back.  Don't know if that's a function of the lighter Griffon Tan, or the way I'm mixing up the paint, but even the ink wash didn't help much with the chalkiness.

In either case, I feel like this is a place where I often fall down.  I'm timid about punching up contrast -- but whenever I try to be brave and go for more contrast / brighter highlights / darker shadows, I don't seem to be able to find the happy middle ground between dull / muddy and a model that looks like somebody painted blotches of lighter color all over it.  ::(:

Don't mean to whine, but I'm feeling very frustrated with today's work.  Thanks for listening.

• Like 14

I think it looks good. I usually thin down whatever my midtone color is and use that as a very thin glaze after shading and highlighting to tie it all back together. I don't go into the shadows much, just where the shadow color meets the midtone. I can always do a little bit of highlight again if needed. Lots of patience and lots of thin layers! I think this looks pretty awesome and I am digging the browns! (No pun intended until after I typed it and now I think it's funny. ::P:)

• Like 1

So much painting, so few pictures.  :lol:

One of the things I'm starting to realize about the Tootsie Roll is that it only has one good side.  Not when you're looking at it in person, but when it comes to photos.  It kind of leans over onto itself (towards the right when you're facing it head on), which means that side ends up looking shadowed and weird in a photo.  Or at least in my phone photos.  ::):  So since I haven't really done anything with the mouth yet (so no "full frontal" pictures), you're all gonna have to get sick of looking at the same basic shot over and over again.

After whining about chalkiness in my highlights last time, I re-acquainted myself with some techniques for dealing with that (including your suggestion to go over it with a midtone glaze, @Pochi).  I'm pretty happy now with the highlights -- including the blends.

59bc524c3193b_GoodbyeChalky.jpg.1e58d5fdd6cafdd9e7a23039081328ae.jpg

Today, then, I spent a bunch of time just going over the entire body and blocking in highlights.  Got very tired of tracing edges and making little lines.  ::D:

59bc52616a863_HighlightBlocks.jpg.6905aacc27b92ba15da44425073dfb00.jpg

The detail of the scale striations kind of peters out toward the bottom, so I got to use the "subtle little lines" technique that I tried out on the little guy in my first post.  I think it ended up OK.

I'm hoping to get the chance to do some more painting this weekend -- since I now have a whole buncha blending of all the edges and scales to do!  And I've got to finally decide on what I want to do with the tummy.  Do you think I can get away with basing it in the same Griffon Tan I'm using for the highlights, then highlighting up from there?

Comments and critiques welcome, as always.  Thanks, everybody!

Edited by Painting Dog
  • Like 9
  • 1 month later...

Hi again, Forumites!  Welcome back from ReaperCon.  ::D:

As some of you had the (dubious) opportunity to learn, I blew out my knee running dog agility not too terribly long after my last post on this thread.  In addition to this taking up a whole bunch of my life with doctor's appointments, MRIs, various other pre-op testing (for surgery that isn't able to happen until the day before Thanksgiving!  Argh!), and a seven-month-old border collie who I'm supposed to be exercising and training regularly, I haven't had a lot of time to focus on things like painting.  I also can't get up to the third floor of my house where my painting space resides.  :down:  My biggest fear throughout this (above and beyond the possibility of said seven-month-old chewing up every expensive thing in the house due to boredom) was that I wouldn't be able / allowed to travel to ReaperCon -- getting anything to enter in the competition was secondary.

As it turned out, I was able to go to ReaperCon (where I gimped around very slowly).  I also turned my attention to a much less ambitious project for the MSP Open -- something I could do on the kitchen counter after sending my wife upstairs to retrieve a limited number of paints, etc.  This turned into the diorama "Golem Pillow Fight," which managed (to my great surprise) to earn a bronze medal at ReaperCon!  ::D:  So all was not completely lost.

Anyway, since post-surgery I'm going to have a good six weeks where I'm not even allowed to walk, much less get up to the third floor, we're setting up a more semi-permanent painting area on the first floor so I can practice all the great stuff I learned at ReaperCon.  I plan to get back to this project during that time, and resume posting WIP updates then.

TL;DR -- Didn't get Shai, Hulud! done in time for ReaperCon 2017, but will hopefully have it ready for ReaperCon 2018.  ::):

Definition of the Day:

Border Collie = so named because their great intelligence means they are perpetually bored-er than other collies.  ::P:

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

I'm back!  Not because I necessarily think anybody is dying to see how I'm progressing with my (now) ReaperCon 2018 diorama, but because I feel really stupid having a WIP hanging out there without a conclusion.  So here we go!

When last we left our hero (i.e., our Giant Sandworm aka The Tootsie Roll), it had some very basic blocking-in of highlights and a base coat on teeth / spines.  I ended up going back and trying to lay in more dark in the areas I expected to be shadowed by its own body, including segments of the tummy.  I also got the first round of color on the interior of the maw, where I was trying to capture the impression of a furnace (fueled by spice!) deep down inside.

2093557210_ShaiHulud(6)(768x1024).thumb.jpg.c57db920599abc62123b28f801cb1744.jpg864023263_ShaiHulud(4)(1024x768).thumb.jpg.62f8e9dcb1f4ab021f31389c8f888823.jpg

From there, I felt like I needed to punch up the highlights more.  Then darken the shadows more.  Then punch up the highlights...

There was a lot of back-and-forth going on.

36946007_ShaiHulud(11)(768x1024).thumb.jpg.8d06746f3ec0305b8dcba1612ea23a23.jpg

Also got some additional glazes / shading on the inside of the mouth.  I ended up pretty happy with the final color.

53628969_ShaiHulud(9)(768x1024).jpg.7f891dfc94192f56762e227d1f91880e.jpg

You can also see here where I started work on staining the teeth.  I did multiple glazes of GW Seraphim Sepia and Agrax Earthshade, with glazes of Reaper Yellowed Bone to soften things together every now and then.  I used pretty much the same technique on the spines down the back.  While I'm really happy with how it turned out, it apparently doesn't photograph particularly clearly!

1562567004_ShaiHulud(13)(768x1024).thumb.jpg.012ee5f208b2bd8f4ca097ea83d224d1.jpg

This is probably the biggest model I've worked on (not having been brave enough to tackle some of the really huge dragons yet), and it was challenging in more ways than one.  Yes, I got tired of working on it.  But it also just felt like no part of it was ever finished!  No matter what I did, I'd come back and look at it, only to find I'd managed to miss / mess-up / overlook something really obvious.  I finally cracked down and committed to finishing the thing over these past couple weeks.  And I'm glad I did.  I told my wife when I showed it to her, "I'm not saying there's nothing more to be done with it -- I'm not even saying I won't touch up stuff between now and ReaperCon.  What I am saying is that it's done."

On to the Fremen!  (He was already mostly painted before last ReaperCon, but there's plenty of touch-up, etc. to do on him yet.)

Now I just have to worry about diorama design...  (Which I'll stick in another threat, in the interest of minimizing clutter.)

Thanks for listening!

P.S.  I'm going to to try to figure out how to hide all the pictures behind a cut, at which point I'll come back and do that.  Just wanted to let anyone who peeked in before that was done know that it was something I was working on.  :)

Edited by Painting Dog
Cleaning up pictures
  • Like 5