Gary Pryor

Learning to paint with Bones Pt2

"finished" a very plain Iron Golem yesterday, and did the townsfolk today. Looking for anything specific tips that might help me, as I am brand new to painting. Really struggling with skin tone today.

IMG-2556.JPG

IMG-2557.JPG

IMG-2560.JPG

IMG-2561.JPG

IMG-2562.JPG

IMG-2563.JPG

• Like 9

Looking good so far! You say you're having issues with your skin tones, some of them are looking a little yellow. Perhaps you could try something with a more peach-like shade?

• Like 1

What are you priming with? If you are priming with a dark color, it will take more layers of your thinned paint to achieve the actual color you are going for. Fun little townsfolk! Off to a nice start taking a dent out of Bones 3!

Nice minis!

Look around for tips.

Start with this and also look on youtube for vids on painting fantasy miniatures.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65355-directory-of-tips-advice-resources/

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/74886-skinflesh-paint-recommendations/#comment-1560229

• Like 1

The first 2 townsfolk look kind of like Zombies. If that is what you wanted, you succeeded. More likely it was not. Reaper has a series of Triads for various Skin tones. I highly recommend getting 2 or 3 of those soon. The Triads have three paints that go well together, including a Highlight, a Mid-Tone and a Shadow tone. they make Skin tones a lot easier in particular!

Otherwise, the Halfling looks good as a Goblin like critter. I may have to do something like that with a couple of mine.

I'll post some more once I'm more awake in the morning.

GF

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Generic Fighter said:

The first 2 townsfolk look kind of like Zombies. If that is what you wanted, you succeeded. More likely it was not. Reaper has a series of Triads for various Skin tones. I highly recommend getting 2 or 3 of those soon. The Triads have three paints that go well together, including a Highlight, a Mid-Tone and a Shadow tone. they make Skin tones a lot easier in particular!

3 hours ago, Cassu said:

Looking good so far! You say you're having issues with your skin tones, some of them are looking a little yellow. Perhaps you could try something with a more peach-like shade?

I hate to think that the solution is buying more paints, but maybe I need something other then the Vallejo "dark flesh" color I have.

2 hours ago, Pochi said:

What are you priming with? If you are priming with a dark color, it will take more layers of your thinned paint to achieve the actual color you are going for. 

I am priming with Vallejo "foundation white" Vallejo "black" or mix the two to get a grey; depending the brightness of what I'm working on. I have mostly been "priming" but putting on a thick solid coat with no water and a little bit of thinner. I think since I am brushing it on anyway I should probably start doing all the base coats of bright sections (like skin) with white, but I have a little difficulty making sure I have total coverage with white in the deep recesses. I already had one complete failure where I missed a spot of white base coat and when I used a paint thinned with water on an area I thought was primed it started beading up.

In this batch I primed the Butcher and cook all white (except the items they are holding, which I primed black) the others were all solid black. Somehow the drinking dwarf looks way better then the blacksmith  (who needed even though I used the same process on both, The same with the butcher looking a lot better then the cook, who I had to redo a ton until he didn't have bug eyes .

Thanks for all the tips. I will keep practicing and reading or watching examples.

• Like 1

If you miss a spot with your primer, there are two things you can do. Since you use brush on primer, dab a tiny bit on your missed spot or use one of Reaper's liners (brown liner) to dab on the spot. Let it dry and keep on painting. OR just keep using your paint. Yes, it will bead up. Just keep smoothing it on layer by layer and it will eventually stick. This is what I do when it is a small spot that isn't going to be really noticeable and it looks fine and you can't even tell.

You hate the thought of buying more paint? I love buying paint! :wub:

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Pochi said:

^^ Pochi speaks the truth. You can never have enough paint. Never

I have around 100 bottles right now and it seriously isn't enough. It is a tiny fraction of what some (darn lucky... ) folks have. 

Mixing paints is fun, and even with hundreds of bottles, people still mix paints to get certain colors and effects. However, the more you have the easier it is to achieve your painting goals. 

• Like 2

Gary,

I specifically mentioned Skin Tones as they are some of the most difficult Color Shades to make from scratch or alter if you only have a couple. And Reaper's Skin Tone Triads are some of the best around, especially if you are new to painting! In addition, Reaper does a couple of cool things when you get a bunch of stuff from their Online shop. Like free shipping or the Anniversary Bonus Minis each month this year. They also do a Trick or Treat thing in October too that includes a couple bonus paints, Candy and usually a free mini(Or a Rock in a blister pack. I have two of those.) Check for these kind of things so you get the best deal for your moneys. Also, check out the Learn to Paint Kits, too. They have several Paints, a pretty good brush or two, a couple minis AND Instructions for painting those very minis WITH the paints included and using the brush/s that are in it too. a pretty good deal, money wise too.

Now, for some help you can use now and with your current items. From the looks of it, You got a Bones 3 Core set, Correct? If so, it contains a couple sets of various Hordes O' Critters. There was a bunch of Orc/Hobgoblins, several Lizard People and some goblins or Kobolds. Pick one of those groups and grab about 5 or 6 of them. In the same pose if you can. Now, you are gonna prime them all and start an assembly Line like process. This will help you learn a new skill by doing it repeatedly in a similar manner. Pick a bit of your chosen minis, such as The Hobgoblins Armor or the lizard peoples Scales. Find a tutorial on whatever technique you want to try learning for that bit and try doing it on each one at a time. The first will most likely look bad, but as you do each new one, you will get better and better until the last one is so much better that comparing it to the first will look as though a different painter did each! This is a method I learned from Tim Gatehouse, the Owner of my FLGS, Gatehouse Games. He has loads of EXP with painting as he is a gamer himself and this is how he learned most of his skills. He says you should learn new skills by doing them on 5 minis. That is supposed to ingrain it in your brain enough that you can repeat it later. I usually add a 6th so I can be sure I got down before going on to something else.

And speaking about Friendly Local Game Stores, you should check if you have one nearby that has a regular Paint Day or would be willing to start one. First hand Help is AMAZING for ones Progress! You will also get to see new sources of Inspiration and most people who paint Minis are cool and willing to help as long as you are polite and patient:) Yes, Even the 40K guys/gals can be chill, too.

Otherwise, check for Lessons at Gaming Conventions, too. I try to get at least one lesson each time I go to GenCon for mini related stuff. A lot of the smaller ones will have a handful of lessons too. Get tickets early if you can, though. They tend to sell out fast.

GF

• Like 5

I completely agree about the flesh colors--if your mix of green for a plant isn't quite right it won't bother you much but skin is something we are all intimately familiar with.  If it's wrong, it's very obvious, and it's not an easy color to mix.  You don't have to have all the skin triads, but at least a fair & tanned skin tone seems crucial.  You can then add bits of red to your skin tone to get lip color or rosy cheeks, yellow and fair skin make a nice blonde color, etc.  

• Like 4

I highly recommend most of the skin tone triads that I've gotten so far. The "Tanned Skin" triad is the weakest of mine; the shadow is very similar to the base, so I end up using Dark Skin highlights for the Tanned Shadow. Outside of that, they're great, especially for new painters. I still use them heavily, but have started adding other colors into painting skin (reds, going into the tops or bottoms of other triads). Golden Skin is a good triad for pales (the fair skin one is good but not as contrasted), Bronzed Skin is going super well for me right now, and the Dark Elf Skin is awesome for the drows. 

• Like 2

Great advice so far.. 

My two cents would be on buying paint..

9 hours ago, Cyradis said:

^^ Pochi speaks the truth. You can never have enough paint. Never

I have around 100 bottles right now and it seriously isn't enough. It is a tiny fraction of what some (darn lucky... ) folks have. 

Mixing paints is fun, and even with hundreds of bottles, people still mix paints to get certain colors and effects. However, the more you have the easier it is to achieve your painting goals. 

I have around 70 I think and need to buy more ^_^ It is true that you can mix primary colors with black and white to get any hue and color you want.. In theory.. I mean I am sure it is possible and believe me I have tried painting with 7 bottles at the start but it is a fruitless endeavor to say the least.

Color theory is something you should catch on but not right away.. Getting the right color takes a lot (I mean A LOT) of trial&error and can be a motivation killer very fast.

So, do buy new paint. I am sure you will appreciate the thrill of standing in front of the paint rack feeling very much like a kid in a candy shop :)

What colors to buy? Well.. Flat colors for sure.. Skin tones (dark-mid-light.. I use Vallejo model color trio and very happy with them)  Some nice grays.. German Grey example.. Some nice browns.. Browns are very hard to mix.. Off whites.. Some blues.. Aaand reds.. Reds are a totally epic level of hard to mix.. White makes red pink.. Yellow makes them orange.. Just buy vermillon and dark reds and all sorts of reds.. If you want to be able to paint red at all.. 

Oh my word.. The list goes on and on.. 

My final advice would be to find the mini you are painting on the net and stick to the color palette of the expert and try to buy the paints used.. This could give you an idea how your final mini should look as well and help you out immensely when you follow the step-by-step instructions of the expert.. 

Edited by VolksFest
  • Like 3

Vallejo has a skin tones set aswell. It doesn't work like the triads but the shades cover pretty much any common skin tone. Things that helped me a lot when I was new:

- A nice detail brush (the smaller, the better)

- adding lots of different colours on a model. I think monochromatic painting is one of the hardest to do. Lots of details with lots of colour keep the eye busy and distract from little mistakes.

- Inks and Washes (I use army painter soft, strong and dark tone) for shading.

- understanding that mixing white or black into colours does not create a shadow or highlight shade necessarily. It took me quite a while to figure out what to mix with to not get a muddy disaster. A colour wheel helps to decide :)

- basing! Even if it's a simple base, it gives the mini an a lot more "finished" look. If you get creative with it, it again distracts from mistakes and just adds a cool touch.

I think everyone has already left a lot more great suggestions and I'm not the best painter out of the bunch but I hope it helps a little!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Glamberry said:

Vallejo has a skin tones set aswell. It doesn't work like the triads but the shades cover pretty much any common skin tone. Things that helped me a lot when I was new:

- A nice detail brush (the smaller, the better)

Sortof, regarding the brush. If you go too small, the paint dries on the brush before it gets to the figure. You need the smallest *point* on a brush :poke: Usually a size 0 will do the majority of the work, even detailing. A size 3/0 is good to have around for finer stuff if really needed. 

I'll have to try some of the non-Reaper skin sets at some point. Good to know that Vallejo's is good. I've been eyeing some Scale 75 sets lately. 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2017 at 3:05 AM, Pochi said:

Must have all the paint!!!  

• Like 3