Sign in to follow this  
Cassu

Bring on the Darkness! painting my Massive Darkness core set

So I pledged to the Massive Darkness Kickstarter from Cool Mini or Not. Honestly I had forgotten how much swag I was going to get, as evidenced by showing up at the Post Office after work to pick up my box and it was huuuge! I dragged it to the train station somehow and my partner actually met me there so he could carry it home for me. (I swear love is a partner helping you carry your board games and supporting your obsession.) :wub:

md1.jpg

The struggle is real!

md2.jpg

My room mate's cat was very interested in the content of said box. 

md3.jpg

Oh, this is why the box was so dang heavy. It has all of the things.

md4.jpg

I've never painted such a big pile of the same minis before, so I have separated my villains from the main box and am going to paint those first in a factory-line kinda manner so whip them all out fast. I also won't be as pedantic as I can be with my single minis, I want them to look good on the table but I won't get too caught up spending 4 hours painting one face.

Think I may also invest in some spray-on primer, I am using the Reaper brush on primer (after filing down any mold lines, etc) which works well but takes some time to apply.

• Like 20

Once you learn the golden rule you are...erm..golden.  Paint minions/secondary villains/rank-and-file-troopies using the 3 foot rule.  Paint them so they look good at 3 feet away on a game board.  Put extra effort into characters of course, but cannon fodder gets the quickie paint job.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

Once you learn the golden rule you are...erm..golden.  Paint minions/secondary villains/rank-and-file-troopies using the 3 foot rule.  Paint them so they look good at 3 feet away on a game board.  Put extra effort into characters of course, but cannon fodder gets the quickie paint job.

That is such a great tip! And that's the idea, I'll put more time and effort into the PCs but not the mass of spawning bad guys. I have also heard this tip referred to as a 'Monet,' looks great from far away but up close it's a mess! :lol:

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Cassu said:

That is such a great tip! And that's the idea, I'll put more time and effort into the PCs but not the mass of spawning bad guys. I have also heard this tip referred to as a 'Monet,' looks great from far away but up close it's a mess! :lol:

Same with regiments.

Front row gets the best paintjob.

• Like 5

You guys are so amazing for giving me all of these tid-bits of wisdom.

md5.jpg

Spent the evening starting on the skin of my Dwarf Warriors and Defenders. There are 18 in total, so many!

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, Erifnogard said:

I would be so tempted to paint those guys like lawn gnomes. 

Now that would be evil!  I just repacked all my Massive Darkness for a game day...dang there are a lot of minis that need painted. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

I would be so tempted to paint those guys like lawn gnomes. 

Haha that is an epic idea! 

I am a little stuck on colours at the moment. I was going to paint them like the colour scheme on the cards but honestly they seem a little bland. While I want my heroes to stand out a bit more I don't want these guys to be a mass of grey / browns either. 

md6.jpg

I am thinking maybe red beards and blue or purple for the fabrics parts of their outfits.

• Like 7

More progress!

md7.jpg

md8.jpg

Blocking in my colour now to wrap my head around the colour scheme. Pencilled in my gaming day to crack this open with my friends, it will be the 24th of this month so I want to get as much of the core set painted as I can.

• Like 15

Excellent start.  I had to hide my Massive Darkness until I can get to it in November.  If you think 1 Lightbringer was a lot... double it... it came in 2 boxes, one of which was #35.  Originally I was going to do a set in light with full color and follow the cards-ish for colors, and do another set in monochrome for the Darkness.  But somewhere between the Kickstarter and the release, the rules on how Darkness works has changed and now I'm not sure it is worth it for the minions anymore (though I can still do the heroes that way).  

My biggest problem is that some of them are fairly hard to tell apart without the card reference photo when playing the game.  "Which ones are the Dwarven Warriors?  Oh yeah, the lot of guys that have the two-handed hammer, but the boss isn't the one with the two-handed hammer, he's dual-wielding.  The boss with the two-handed hammer goes with the Cleaver Dwarves.  /facepalm

So I sleeved all my cards, because the cards are now much more valuable than I anticipated...

• Like 3

I got in my Massive Darkness pledge as well, but will honestly probably never play it, I just liked the models for painting purposes.

Your dwarves are looking great! I like how you've given them your hair colour! :poke:

• Like 3

On 9/12/2017 at 4:58 AM, Grayfax said:

My biggest problem is that some of them are fairly hard to tell apart without the card reference photo when playing the game.  "Which ones are the Dwarven Warriors?  Oh yeah, the lot of guys that have the two-handed hammer, but the boss isn't the one with the two-handed hammer, he's dual-wielding.  The boss with the two-handed hammer goes with the Cleaver Dwarves.  /facepalm

So I sleeved all my cards, because the cards are now much more valuable than I anticipated...

I played it over the weekend and am finding this as well, even with the cards it's hard to tell which figure is meant to be which when it comes to the Goblins and Dwarves.

Had an epic 3 play-throughs on Sunday! First time playing the game, started with a friend at my local gaming den and we had two play-throughs of the tutorial quest to wrap our had around the rules and all of the components. Then another joined us for a 3-player game of the 1st quest. We super fun and inspired me to apply more paint to my minis!

md9.jpg

Added a wash and just started applying my highlights to the hammer hilts and back pockets. Still need to higlight other areas. And tossing up between using metallic paint for their weapons or just some NMM.

• Like 10

On 9/11/2017 at 3:12 PM, Guindyloo said:

I got in my Massive Darkness pledge as well, but will honestly probably never play it, I just liked the models for painting purposes.

That's really all that stops me from getting into board game KS's - too much stuff that my long suffering wife would have even more cause to complain about.  I have seen some of these models on Evilbay and am hoping to pick up a small handful when I have money again.

The dwarves look really cool~!  Their hair color is really the bees knees!