The Seers and a Wizard Present a Random Rainbow Dragon Challenge!

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

My Ebonwrath got a bath...in Simple Green.

Now sitting around, waiting for me to come up with a good scheme to make orange brown and lava orange actually look like they are two different colors...

sorry to hear that. 

you could tint the shades up or down to increase contrast - like always adding a bit of white to your base color. 

My reaper oranges don't have great coverage and throwing in a little white would likely make it more fun to paint with, constancy wise. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Congratulations, by opening this forum post, you have received a quest! This quest is a challenge created by the combined forces of @Sirithiliel the Queen Tiamacrab, a Wizard Most Wild @Pezler th

*squints at the Die of Incontrovertible Magnitude*    Uh, Pez? That's a count-down die, not a properly randomized one.   Here's my rolls!    EDIT: Because the print

Not seeing a meme out there for mini painting. Thought I saw one a while back but my search-fu is not working if it is out there.   Instead here is an updated pic I took last night after dry

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

My Ebonwrath got a bath...in Simple Green.

Now sitting around, waiting for me to come up with a good scheme to make orange brown and lava orange actually look like they are two different colors...

I'm going to have to mix in a little bit of a dense paint to my lava orange for it to appear well on top of the blues and mint greens. The coverage isn't great. 

I am also going to experiment to see if I can perhaps use a color darker in the triad, mix with white, and effectively get the lava orange - but denser. 

Somehow my mint green washed with heather blue ended up with a purpleish impression. I didn't expect that - but don't dislike it. 

• Like 5

This sounds like a lot of fun, however I don't have any of the dragons in question, so looks like I'll be ordering Deathsleet to paint.  And the Rolls.

59e96307339f3_RandomDragonColors.PNG.4597dd8e75ee72f0603678e856c130be.PNG

Main 20 9039 Pure White

Secondary 6 9227 Brilliant green

Miscellaneous 10 9023 Imperial Purple

And my intent is to do the 3 star challenge, I was planning this before rolling.  Interesting colors, I have the pure white but not the other two.  Does anyone know if Viper Green, Adonese Green, or Christmas Wreath would be close to Bright Green?  And is Malvernian Purple similar to Imperial Purple or should I add the paints to my order?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, HornedTurtle said:

This sounds like a lot of fun, however I don't have any of the dragons in question, so looks like I'll be ordering Deathsleet to paint.  And the Rolls.

59e96307339f3_RandomDragonColors.PNG.4597dd8e75ee72f0603678e856c130be.PNG

Main 20 9039 Pure White

Secondary 6 9227 Brilliant green

Miscellaneous 10 9023 Imperial Purple

And my intent is to do the 3 star challenge, I was planning this before rolling.  Interesting colors, I have the pure white but not the other two.  Does anyone know if Viper Green, Adonese Green, or Christmas Wreath would be close to Bright Green?  And is Malvernian Purple similar to Imperial Purple or should I add the paints to my order?

If you don't have the exact colours, I have absolutely no problem with using one of those paints as a substitute. Adonese Green is a bit more on the yellow shift, Viper Green is a bit lighter, Christmas Green is a bit darker. The important thing is to have as much fun with the colours as you can, and to heck with having exact matches!

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, arouark said:

Last day at Reaper Con this dragon spoke to me and said paint me  paint me so I heeded the call and decided to accept the rainbow challenge .

20171022_103647.jpg

Screenshot_20171022-113451.png

Always listen to miniatures that talk to you.^_^

You've got some interesting rolls, can't wait to see how they turn out!

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Mine got finished, brought to Reapercon, /entered into the contest/ .. and almost got a Bronze. ^^

It's done. I guess I should get around to posting a showoff...

Darn right!

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Evilhalfling
      So when I unpacked this Big Boi in 2017  I thought he would look really cool without wings.  but I'm it will be a lot of careful work to carve off the joins and resculpt him,  I just don't think I'm ready.  In February I did the scales for my verocthulu conversion, and thought "I could have done that better."
      So this is better.  

This Dragon will be the colors or earth.   Burnt Umber base, and a hide scattered with Burnt Sienna, Tusk Ivory, and Leather Brown with ochre and NNM gold colors on the belly. 
      perhaps some cool gray or blue washes in the shadows.   The scales will be individually shaded, and the hide below staying the color of brown liner, or umber in the well lit areas. 

So far its been about 4 hrs of work in sculpting, cleaning, gluing and mold line removal.
      it took 45 min just to cover him in brown liner.  He is a really big dragon, and I have no idea how long this is going to take. 

but im getting a little obesessed - I don't want to schedule a meeting or go grocery shopping, I want to add more paint... 
      this feels like how I ended up with a dragon named Insomnia - who was painted almost entirely between 10pm and 7 am.   I kept waking up with new color ideas. 
      Or the DDS2 dragon who I spent 2-4 hours a day painting for a solid week, and another hour a night for the week after.  

The last picture is my inspiration for the scale colors - the eyes will be much simpler than this. 

• By SparrowMarie
      I should have started this at the beginning of the year but a few months late is better than never. I've been working on getting stuff together for Q2 and some things for the rest of the year. For the quarterly stuff I'm going to continue to work on Grimtalon...that I don't think I have a WIP thread for and my large group has settled on doing a townsfolk theme and I'm doing the Fishwife from Dreadmere in Bones 4 KS. I have a diorama in the works but I really don't know if I'm going to finish it this quarter.

My list for April:

Theme: (Vampire):
      Jahenna, Female Vampire (77669)
      Limited Palette:
      Purple, Orange, Pink
      Styx Purple, Fire Orange, Runic Glow
      Giant Frog (44024)
      Player Character:
      Lysette, Elven Mage (Bones USA (30001))
      Monster:
      Gulper (44038)
      Duo:
      Cyclops (77705)
      Trio:
      Merowyn Lightstar (77675)
      New Release:
      Darius the Blue (Bones USA (30002))
      Freebie:
      D’Tenian, d10 (77647)

Will get some photos up soon.
    • By SparrowMarie
      I painted up the Annoyed Rocky as Spyro the Dragon because when I got it that is what it screamed at me to do. I even took some time to do a little basing.

• By Kangaroorex
      I am not good at telling stories on paper.  my mind races far ahead of where the story wants to go and I never get it right so I will let the diorama tell itself.  this is an original copy of the Clutch of Fear produced by Ral Partha in the early 1990s.  The piece is high lead content.  so soft infact that without some strategic pinning the joints fail (or so I have been told). 

The basic story is that 2 egg thieves come to relieve a mother dragon of one of her eggs and she comes back early catching them just as they are leaving.  The setting on the box seems to be some type of sulfur spring or volcanic hot spring and I get the impression of stillness of morning broken only by the shriek of an enraged mother.

I went pretty classic on this one, going with the red dragon and robin blue eggs like the box art but decided that the spines and chest plates should be more contrast than the slightly darker red of the box.  I took the original base pieces included in the box and expanded them to a small diorama of a hotspring using Magic water, a transparent epoxy to create the water around the spring.  The resin developed a little bit of a lip at the edge but I wasn't willing to cut it down and risk the clarity of the water by trying to sand and polish the resin. (its more rubbery that solid and difficult to polish -- I tried on two sample pieces and it didn't work out well.)

anyway the WIP is here if your interested:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/94482-a-new-year-a-new-old-dragon/

and here are the images of the final project.  Hope everyone has as much fun looking as I did creating this.  Feel free to comment and question away as always.  The project was a lot of fun and the they got the expression of the egg thief who is looking back to see an enraged mother dragon bearing down on him just about right!

One shot from the human's perspective to give an idea of the trouble they are in....

And one from a mothers perspective as she hones in on the ones who are trying to steal her precious eggs!

• By Rahz
      After 10 months, I finally dusted this off and finished it in an attempt to find some hobby mojo again.  Dragon is from Artisan Guild and was printed on the elegoo Mars almost a year ago. 

Basecoated, drybrushed tan and then multiple washes layered before another quick drybrush and a final wash.  It was printed in clear green resin and the eyes and crystals on the rock were simply given a layer of Tamiya Clear Green after the mask was removed.  Crystals on the base are from Anarchy Models, again with a quick layer of Tamiya Clear green.  Reaper base with some Vallejo texture paste. 

Thanks for looking. 
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 80 Guests (See full list)