Sign in to follow this  
Dilvish the Deliverer

RIP Jerry Pournelle

4 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Evidently Jerry Pournelle passed away two days ago at home.  I quite enjoyed reading his books when I was younger.  I may have to go and break a few favorites out of storage.

That's sad. I quite like his work and always thought that he made Niven's stuff better, too.

He'll be missed.

• Like 1

I always enjoyed whet he would pop up on the tech podcasts I listen to.  He was very well researched and had some interesting opinions.  

• Like 2

Discovering his novels and the stuff he wrote with Niven was like the treasure chest at the end of a long quest... full of gold.

Thanks for the many hours of entertainment Mr. Pournelle.

RIP

J--

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jsalyers said:

Discovering his novels and the stuff he wrote with Niven was like the treasure chest at the end of a long quest... full of gold.

Thanks for the many hours of entertainment Mr. Pournelle.

RIP

J--

So much this. ..

RIP...

• Like 1

This is sad. Another of the "greats" of Science Fiction passing. But on the other hand he had lead a productive life that created a sense of wonder in a lot of people around the world. A life well lived!

Damon.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TripleH
      R.I.P. Clive Cussler. 

Author of many Dirk Pitt Adventure series passed away February 24, 2020.
    • By Standifer
      So I finally fell into the temptation and got my first ground based sci fi minis!(I do have spaceships.) 
      A Cataphract, conquerer , and a halberd by Reaper minis came in with my horsman today! Sadly the halberd is missing a piece so it may in end up being returned. 
      So my first order of business was a small conversion to the cataphract
      Before conversion

And the conquerer has donated the necessary parts for said conversion, specifically his smaller missile pods.

A bit of work with an exacto knife removed said weapons.

And a bit more exacto work to make a spot for the pods on the Cataphract.

Some super glue to assemble the cataphract and voila! It is time for paint!

And don’t worry about the Conquerer, I have a conversion in mind for it too. It just might not be a true mech when I’m done.......

More sci-fi stuff to come soon I hope!
      And maybe just maybe I’ll try to make a backstory for these guys.
      Thankyou for looking! 

• By BLZeebub
      I was cleaning up behind my barn and found this half-buried in the dirt.  Was just on the way to throwing it out when I just couldn't.  So I washed most of the dirt off, and cut a base from scrap plywood I had, and away I go!  I actually have a semi-solid plan.  I want to knock this one out fast, first of all, so maybe it'll get done this year (ideally before spring or even March, but I know how things go).  I want it to evoke a few things without quite indicating any of them.  The Tyrell building from Blade Runner is a big one.  The magitek factory from Final Fantasy VI is another.  But I also want to maintain that primitive temple look--like a Mayan or Aztek pyramid--which the shape itself lends to.  I also want it to appear as though it's either been abandoned or nearly so, and nature has started to retake it.  So lots of pipes and vines and gears (see my initial bits pile) and maybe a surprise if I can keep motivated...  Let me know what you think!

Ha, also noticed my little Narshe cottage in the background--it's nearly complete as far as building.  That'll be for another topic though!

• By Corsair
      If you like scifi, this looks like a good one and reasonably priced too.
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/292543184/starfolke
    • By Standifer
      This is a Cataphract mech by Reaper minis from Cav with added missile pods from a conquerer mech.
      Paints used: 
      Vallejo paints
      white surface primer
      Olive Green 
      Dark Brown
      Oily Steel,
      Gunmetal
      Testors paints,
      Gi. Red
      Flat steel
      Model Masters paints,
      Gun Metal,
      Burnt Iron
      Other colors
      Burnt Umber 
      and Black.
      Man! I didn’t realize I used that many colors on this thing!
      Enough about paint! Time for pictures!

I have enjoyed painting this up and even got to try something new. 
      Thankyou for looking and feel free to offer constructive critiques!
  • Who's Online   29 Members, 1 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)