Sign in to follow this  
Evilhalfling

Evilhalfling's search for a random rainbow dragon

3 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

Now now it's not a race =P

it looks good! i wish i had chosen Khryprixis for my dragon, stormwing's scales are annoying me

your dragon seems a little further along than mine anyway, depending on how much I want to re-blend each scale.

My dragon looks better at tabletop distance then under close scrutiny. 

Coporea had the better idea of painting the tail before gluing.  Its like painting a corkscrew. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 3

I may have to name this dragon "Insomnia"  

another 30 min painting session in the middle of the night.  Although in purely time spent I have used more daylight hours, even excluding the CMPA paint day... which is hard to compare, due to socializing with friends. 

I don't have new pictures as its mostly small changes, improvements to blending etc. 

really another 2 hours of steady work and the dragon part will be done.  considering buying mint green anyway, and seeing if a thin wash over the copper vergriss I have been using changes the colors in a meaningful way.

- technically this may drop me to a 2-star project.  But if it looks better ill do it.  

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 4

On 9/19/2017 at 11:16 AM, Evilhalfling said:

keeping it up :) 

I was thinking a cloud base - possibly made of expanding insulation foam.  But trials proved unsuccessful and the best cloud base examples I found online seemed to sculpt the entire cloud, or use cotton.   Added to this is the difficulty of building a base at the varying high levels of his claws.  

So ill put him on his rock base (will paint brown /red for contrast)   and then add some cotton to fill out a circular base. 

If anyone has done/seen a good cloud base I'd love a link. 

Unless ..I switch this concept for a sea base - I know I can sculpt waves, crashing against the rocky outcrop.  hmm. 

wings are still rough/wet blended, lots of detail to add. 

I think ill tint them a bit grayer, leaving the outer tips the full brightness. 

How about basing the dragon on the rocks you have and then using cotton or something similar to simulate clouds around the lower part of the base. Make 'Insomnia' look as if he/she were perched atop a very high peak that jutted through the top of the cloud layer?

Perhaps waiting on the clouds to break to see what the morning offered on the winding track far below? :)

I think that's what you're seeing..?

J--

Edited by jsalyers
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, jsalyers said:

How about basing the dragon on the rocks you have and then using cotton or something similar to simulate clouds around the lower part of the base. Make 'Insomnia' look as if he/she were perched atop a very high peak that jutted through the top of the cloud layer?

Perhaps waiting on the clouds to break to see what the morning offered on the winding track far below? :)

I think that's what you're seeing..?

J--

yes that's what my current cloud option is.  dragon perched on a cliff above the clouds 

more pictures: 

9_21A.jpg

9_21B.jpg

9_21C.jpg

• Like 14

I like it! I don't get a cloud impression off the blocks though. I get more of hunks of limestone impression, and I think that's cool. 

The pale stone with the dark dragon is pleasing - even moreso with the wing-tips being paler than the rest of him. 

• Like 3

He looks really good! Love the chest/belly scales. These colors worked out really well and I love how he is coming out!

• Like 4

The shark base was just my best work sculpting waves out of milliput and greenstuff. there will not be a shark in the fished dragons base. :huh:

I think I'm going with the water - the wave will be crashing into the dragon from behind, as the dragon (and the stairs) face the land.

I think it will be more challenging, and thus ill learn more.  I will try for water running off the back of the dragon, using gloss sealer and threads . 

Besides  I don't have a sea dragon yet. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kuroneko
      I think most GM's can sympathise, sometimes your players just get lucky going through a dungeon. Maybe the dice are on their side or maybe they're just a bunch of min/maxing little murder hobos that have destroyed everything in their path. What you need is one final encounter, one last way to try and salvage at least some of your pride and show them that they're not quite as in control as they think they are. 

There's a room. It's certainly locked and probably warded and what player can resist that? Once they force their way the find this ancient stone circle. There's some sort of mossy ooze growing on its base, but the players attention is drawn to the softly pulsing light from the giant cabochon jewels set as eyes in the carved dragon heads. How can they resist?

A massive thanks to @TaleSpinner for sculpting such an awesome piece, it was a pleasure to paint!

This is when you turn around the portal What comes out of it? Not sure, but its certainly something draconic, maybe even something with 5 heads

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms are gratefully received. Hope you liked it.
    • By Kuroneko
      A long time ago, in March 2019 to be exact, @NomadZeke set a painting challenge for that years April Fools Day. Paint something ridiculous.......20 months later I finally finished my entry for it He's based on a Pathfinder Huge pawn holder for ease of use in games.

I absolutely adore this mini, in my opinion it's the best Huge sized dragons on the market and one of Julie Guthrie's most stunning sculpts 

I humbly present to you, Kyphrixis the multi-hued Rainbow Dragon!

Hope y'all like him, as always all comments and criticisms are happily received
    • By Kangaroorex
      continuing my quest to paint down some of my metal mountain of dragons is my second Green Dragon II from Grenadier.  I wound up with multiple copies of this dragon (I wont say how many but i still have another in its original box...) so when i noticed that i had primed this one a while ago, i decided to try the painting method from Mocha's painting a Rocky class during Reapercon (thanks @Mocha I am getting a lot of use out of that technique and it has definitely helped me with contrast in everything I paint) of starting with the darkest colors and working up to the brightest.  This is the result of my trial with the dragon of the month series .  I decided that since they liked swamps and other watery environments, i would give her a bed of dry river rocks in an underground cave.  (hey everyone likes a comfy bed but nobody really likes a wet bed!) so i started with the base the miniature came with and expanded from there bringing the rocks out from there.  The first pass had them all a monotone color which left the base looking almost black and white against the green dragon.  Interesting but not what i wanted.  Some colored inks later and we have a nice bed of various colored rocks!

She comes out really vibrant with lots of shadow and contrast really nice!  About my only fault is i haven't given much thought to handling a different colored belly scale and how a significantly lighter scale would work given the steady darkening as the light lowers past the widest parts of the model. Oh well, maybe next time.

For comparison, this is the same dragon I did about a decade ago:

I like both but i dont have to guess about which one will catch the most attention, even though it took far less time and skill.  I am happy to give both of them a home, though i should probably give the older one a new base and maybe fix a few of his chips and dings (honorably gotten eating unwary PCs and their horses!)

Hope you enjoy them!

• By Kangaroorex
      As the year wears on i continue to complete my personal challenge of 12 dragons in 12 months.  (I have to go count but i think i am there...  not sure though so I keep it up!)  this is another oldie but goodie from the third Dragon of the month series by Grenadier.  this was the January offering, the black dragon.  I decided that this dragon liked his underground layer so the base is done as a broken river skree.  the large open space made me add a small geode, just to see if i could do it.

The dragon is painted with dark blacks and Purple shadow (which actually looks darker than the black so there!)  Then i used some new wax paints i acquired to bring up the colors on the highlights to give him a shiny scale and brightness.  I think this is the first time i have created a dragon that actually looks black but still has lots of texture and contrast. 

Again congrats to grenadier for acquiring some really lovely sculpts and turning them out back when high definition was not a popular feature.  there is a lot to see on this dragon, right down to the small row of teeth that line the edges of his closed mouth.  I had a lot of fun painting him.  I hope you enjoy him too!

• Who's Online   13 Members, 1 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)