Sign in to follow this  
Corporea

curse you and your fun ideas!!! ie: Corporea is accepting rainbow dragon challenge thingy

14 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I feel like you just dead-dropped atomic secrets.  Perhaps there is something to this "Colour Theory".   My government will pay handsomely for the microfiche.

I hear she teaches a class on this....  :devil:

• Like 11

yeah- things were simpler when I just got to pick pretty colors that I liked.  Then I learned this arcane science stuff and it made me have to think harder.  Not to say it isn't fun... it just makes me take an extra step when planning a mini and finding maximal contrast.

It's kindof cool though, to know there really is some method to the madness!

• Like 16

I like your colors! And if you aren't doing the extra challenges, you still get tidbit colors and/or shading colors. 

The imperial purple is darker than the patch online, I believe. That might be a relief for you. Seriously though, this should turn out fabulous. 

Welcome to the madness! Take all the time you need - wouldn't want your diorama to suffer! 

• Like 5

Art Science?  In one of the only art classes I ever took, we learned a rule of thumb to squint and look at colors for values like this.  For a rule of thumb, it works surprisingly well.  Good luck with figuring these out.  At least you can add black and white to provide more separation.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I hear she teaches a class on this....  :devil:

And now I'm really excited I was able to enroll.  

• Like 7

Corporea, are you familiar with the Munsell notation? I'm still mostly working in graphite and charcoal, so I haven't dug too deeply into color. But it's set up to account for the relative values of different color, and there's some good lessons out there on using it for bracketing and mixing colors to control all three axes.

http://munsell.com/about-munsell-color/how-color-notation-works/

• Like 5

I hope you enjoy this mind-crushing challenge, Corporea! I'm incredibly eager to see how you in particular approach it. Keep in mind that there's absolutely no time limit, so don't sacrifice other projects until you have more time. Eeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

• Like 5

Great you're joining us!!!

Looking forward to see how you handle it.

As for me, I just splosh colours I like  on a mini hoping it will look decent enough.

Wolf's head gets confused with theory..

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kangaroorex
      Continuing deeper into the dry steppe I cane across a brass dragon in its native habitat.  I think she was keeping watch over a nearby nomadic tribe but she took off before I was able to ask.

Another old piece of miniature history, this is the brass dragon from the 3rd and final dragon of the month series by Grenadier.  The amount of energy put into this mini is pretty amazing and, like all its brethren, this dragon has stood the test of time.  I painted this one using a basecoat of scale 75 metallic but then did all the highlight work using a wax metallic set I recently acquired on sale.  
      Hope you like her; this series does have some seriously dramatic positions for the dragons, especially when you consider that these are all softer, lead based minis.

• By Kangaroorex
      Further efforts to produce a dozen dragons this year brought me out to the desert sands where even dragons new to worry about being spotted if they want a decent meal.  To this end desert dragons are campflaged to look like the ground from above and the sky from below.

Hope you enjoy him 

• By rubegon
      I haven’t been on the forum much this year.  Since joining Anne Foerster’s Patreon I’ve been spending more time on Discord.

I’ve been painting this guy following the paintalong she’s done for one of the tiers.  It’s the first time I’ve tried to do a “display quality” paint job.  Other firsts are NMM, freehand, leather texture, cloth texture, and sculpted base elements.

I actually started this guy early this year, but then stopped painting altogether for about 4 months after the pandemic started.  I picked him back up in July and am getting close to finishing.  I’m posting a series of pics I’ve taken as I went, and will continue to post as I finish him up soon.

Feb 29: prepped and primed, with some minor GS work

Mar 1:  base GS sculpting

— LONG BREAK —

Aug 2:  skin lined, basecoated, and shaded

Aug 6:  skin initial highlights

• By Kangaroorex
      Another of the older dragons completed.  This has to have been my favorite miniature series.  Over the course of a few years Grenadier brought out 37 new dragons, all of them unique and yet obviously part of the same world.  

This is from the third series and the sculptor is William Watt.  I love the level of detail and, in general how well these have held up over the decades.  These are always a joy to paint.

I based him on a 3 inch base and tried to give it a blasted heath effect which makes him stand out pretty well.  I'm still trying to complete 12 dragons this year and I am nearly there!  Hope you enjoy him!

• By odinsgrandson
      Ok, this is a mini that I made as a joke for a friend of mine. He GMs a lot of games, and has always been a bit fascinated by the fact that the Half Dragon template can be added to almost any kind of creature. Including ones that reproduce by dividing.
      Truly, the biology of dragons is a wonder.
      Anyway, he got to completely wreck the party with this Half Black Dragon Gelatinous Cube.
      I made it by combining some parts from an invisible dragon and gelatinous cube minis (both from Reaper’s Bones line). I used water effect for gap filling and a bit of sculpting, and added a little color with some thinned down paints. I wanted to give the impression that it picks up debris from the floor as it moves along.
      Except for the eyes, which are totally opaque so that they can show up. Seriously, I think they’re the only part that really shows up at all in the pictures, but you get the idea.

In an unrelated project for the same friend, I found a really strange bit that I think is supposed to be the head of a dragon, but seriously looks like a half dragon spider. So that got painted too.
      Man, dragons really make some poor choices.

• Who's Online   22 Members, 1 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)