GlenP

Steampunk Flat Girl

Oh, stop, I mean the piece, not the girl...

This is Nemrod's flat resin pinup bust 'Sattheen' who is described as a girl wearing a tophat and corset. Because the piece is resin, it's considerably thicker than the traditional metal piece, presumably to prevent warping. The facing detail is quite small in terms of depth and very close to traditional flats. The master was sculpted by French artist Ivan Durand who also sculpted my 'Redhead Flat' buried back in the Reaper archives.

Since I sometimes have issues with leaving well enough alone, I decided to convert this piece into something more along the lines of a Steampunk bust. I've shortened the tophat, added the mandatory goggles (plastic tubing/putty), removed the necklace and added a choker (scribing/sheet plastic/putty), altered and added details to the corset (scribing/sheet plastic), and hollowed out her upper left arm to create a mechanical arm. The gizmology is composed of watch gears, plastic rod and sheet, and bolt head sliced from octagonal plastic rod. The plan is to use thin sheet plastic to build the outer skin of the arm, but leave the mechanical bits visible. This is what I've got so far...

Glen

steampunk_bust_flat01.jpg

• Like 15

Well, the additions are pretty basic. Pretty much the same techniques I use for tanks and aircraft. Being Steampunk it seems some manner of goggles and corsetry were mandatory and I have noticed a growing trend with Steampunk characters having some form of mechanical augmentation. I'm simply jumping on the bandwagon here... I have yet to finalize the light direction. I normally go upper left front, but that means the hat will cast a shadow over the face and I prefer to have the face and hair lit. I'll probably go upper right front (gasp!) to properly light the face and torso.

More later.

• Like 4

I've finished (I think...) the modifications to the figure. I've added the covers and hinge plates over the shoulder, elbow, and forearm using thin sheet plastic embellished with some engraved 'panel' lines, wine bottle foil, thin slices of octagonal rod for bolt heads, and some putty for a glove over the mechanical hand. Priming and painting next.

More later.

steampunk_bust_flat02.jpg

• Like 12

Painting now. The piece was primed with brushed on Floquil Model Railroad Gray Primer and allow to dry for 24 hours. The hair is the Carrot Top triad plus Ruddy Leather and Linen White to further darken/lighten (ground-breaking, I know...). The hat is base coated in Pine Green. The goggles have a leather(ish) strap, yellow metal bezels, and variations of the hair colors for the lenses. The arm's interior mech is painted with an assortment of 'Steampunk metals', basically red, yellow, and white metals in assorted shades. The interior was the doused with a wash of Brown Liner. I also pre-painted her choker piece and the clasps on her corset.

Face next.

steampunk_bust_flat03_goggles+hair+arm_mech.jpg

Edited by GlenP
  • Like 13

Working on the skin tones now. I'm using my standard mix of the Tanned Skin and Rosy Skin triads each mixed with its opposite color - shadow with shadow, light with light, etc, in a 1:1 ratio. These are further lightened with Linen White or darkened with Burgundy Wine where needed. The darker skin on the torso side is Tanned Skin and Shadow. This will eventually be covered by a sheer material color. Still plugging away at it until I start the corset and metal arm. 

steampunk_bust_flat04_skin_tones+face.jpg

• Like 14

A bit more work on the skin tones plus the hat (Pine Green triad + Black + Linen White for deep shading and highlighting. Also did the ribbed bracelet on her right arm (alternating Old Bronze/Tarnished Brass and Coppery Orange/Ancient Bronze and put some left over Old Bronze in her left arm. The choker ribbon is Deep/Blood/Fire Reds. Eventually, there'll be a jewel in the choker medallion. Lastly, there's a glaze of Deep and Blood Red over the Tanned Skin and Tanned Shadow panel on the corset side. I did this first so I wouldn't slop a red glaze onto the browns and greens of the corset. Now I can slop browns and greens onto sheer red panel...::o:

steampunk_bust_flat05_skin_tone_hat_etc.jpg

• Like 12

Thank you both!

Some more progress. I'm doing a bit more tweaking on the skin tones and I've worked on the corset (same colors as the hat). I have to tweak the sheer red panel on the corset some. Mechanical arm next!

Glen

streampunk_bust_flat06_corset.jpg

• Like 12

Thanks both of you!

And now ...the end. I used pretty much all of Reaper's yellow metals and some of the lighter white metals to do the out skin of the mechanical arm. The idea was to create the impression of old, but usable sheet metal to form the skin. It was cleaned, but not polished or buffed. I also wanted a grainy appearance to the metal. That meant lots of stippling - a short stab downward, followed by a short stroke along the surface. Repeat. I also finished off the choker medallion and jewel using the same colors as the hat and corset. Continuity, y'know. Or a rut; take your pick. Rather than try to sculpt/build a mechanical hand, I opted for a work-type glove. It's painted with the Basic Dirt triad to go along with the corset stays, but I went darker. There is some minor lining around the choker, corset stays and clasps, and the metal arm bits. It is now complete. Unless I find some reeeeaaaaally big goof...

steampunk_bust_flat07_mech_arm+complete.jpg

• Like 5