Cheap Figs at Wally World

Dr.Bedlam

So someone tipped me off about 32mm Harry Potter figures at Wal Mart. For about a buck each.

3249b842-0945-4abc-bb04-7089e1f29a1b_1.e2a20ad35305fd4a0c595b5969f93f20.thumb.jpeg.d857f31cfa76beb8551fe3744c1a5876.jpeg They're a bit big and not as detailed as I would like, but DM Scotty's Facebook group has noted that when you strip that enamel off, the detail improves. Pictured here, we have the Harry Potter line, but they also have Street Fighter, WWF, Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel, and DC figures, as well as these display/playset things. It ain't easy to find metal figures for a buck a pop these days, so I figured I'd say something; my students will be earning some of these in the weeks to come... and I'll be "improving" the spares I bought...

• Like 12

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, eyeballed them. Nothing really stuck out as interesting. The HP figures aren't bad if you need modern npcs. The Dumbledore figure and most of the other adults were kind of lame, but the detail and paint on the kids wasn't bad.

The superheroes were kinda generic-looking, which I suppose is a good thing if you're repainting them as something other than who they are. The static poses didn't do them any favors - the only really cool "action pose" was Supergirl (great flowing cape), but they borked her up by making her legs way too long.

Some of the wrestlers were interesting.

Unfortunately, a lot of the figures in each line really suffer from the bad paint jobs over the limited details, which is definitely noticeable compared to the better-looking ones with more detail.

Side note: A couple of the figures in each line are exclusive to the five-packs and not sold as individual figures.

I may, at some point, pick up a few of the superheroes or wrestlers to convert with clix parts, since they're so cheap.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5

@Dr.Bedlam Thanks for the heads up. I don't care about Harry Potter, but my sister is a big fan. I picked up the big 3 for her, and Voldemort. Now to decide if I leave them as is, or repaint them.

Also I picked up a Supes figure for a friend who likes Superman. For less than I pay for a soda I call that a good deal.

• Like 7

They strip nicely with acetone, and yeah, that factory paint job obscures a LOT of detail. 

Now, thanks to Mad Jack, I cannot unsee Supergirl's freakishly long legs. Hadn't even NOTICED until he brought it up...

nanometdc8supgirl-inset1__43600.1499349954.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

They strip nicely with acetone, and yeah, that factory paint job obscures a LOT of detail. 

Now, thanks to Mad Jack, I cannot unsee Supergirl's freakishly long legs. Hadn't even NOTICED until he brought it up...

nanometdc8supgirl-inset1__43600.1499349954.jpg

Could you share some pictures of the bare figures?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Well, being an alien and all...

2 hours ago, Last Knight said:

Hey hey hey! Family friendly! Stop that!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Last Knight said:

Harry.thumb.jpg.fe33afd41cbeb34ecec71694253e3a60.jpg I'm a lousy photographer, but I notice there are eye details within the circles of his glasses. You'd not have known this from the painted figure, due to that awful thick factory paint. That, and they seemed to think metallic enamels were the way to go for their main colors, and metallic BLACK is... well... gray. I think I can do better.

Is it as good as a Reaper? No.

Is it as detailed as a Reaper Bones? No.

What it IS is cheap Harry Potter, perfectly good practice for fine details, neat stocking stuffers for friends, and handy cheap rewards that my students will cheerfully stab each other to obtain. And if they'll do that, perhaps they'll give me a week of relative peace and quiet instead...

And why didn't I realize that someone was going to make a bad joke about figs? Yeesh. You're AWARE that the figures include the three main characters from Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, yes? Including Newt Scamander? (seen at far right in the picture in the first post) Whose first name is presumably Newton? Which makes him...

...a FIG NEWTON?

Hurl your rotten tomatoes; it's YOUR monitor. ::P:

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 11