Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Bedlam

Cheap Figs at Wally World

So someone tipped me off about 32mm Harry Potter figures at Wal Mart. For about a buck each.

3249b842-0945-4abc-bb04-7089e1f29a1b_1.e2a20ad35305fd4a0c595b5969f93f20.thumb.jpeg.d857f31cfa76beb8551fe3744c1a5876.jpeg They're a bit big and not as detailed as I would like, but DM Scotty's Facebook group has noted that when you strip that enamel off, the detail improves. Pictured here, we have the Harry Potter line, but they also have Street Fighter, WWF, Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel, and DC figures, as well as these display/playset things. It ain't easy to find metal figures for a buck a pop these days, so I figured I'd say something; my students will be earning some of these in the weeks to come... and I'll be "improving" the spares I bought...

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Hmmmn, that might be worth the hassle of shopping Walmart. 

That was my thot. Don't normally shop there, but...

• Like 1

Okay, eyeballed them. Nothing really stuck out as interesting. The HP figures aren't bad if you need modern npcs. The Dumbledore figure and most of the other adults were kind of lame, but the detail and paint on the kids wasn't bad.

The superheroes were kinda generic-looking, which I suppose is a good thing if you're repainting them as something other than who they are. The static poses didn't do them any favors - the only really cool "action pose" was Supergirl (great flowing cape), but they borked her up by making her legs way too long.

Some of the wrestlers were interesting.

Unfortunately, a lot of the figures in each line really suffer from the bad paint jobs over the limited details, which is definitely noticeable compared to the better-looking ones with more detail.

Side note: A couple of the figures in each line are exclusive to the five-packs and not sold as individual figures.

I may, at some point, pick up a few of the superheroes or wrestlers to convert with clix parts, since they're so cheap.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5

Wasn't really interested in supers... got plenty of Clix for that. But Harry Potter...

• Like 2

@Dr.Bedlam Thanks for the heads up. I don't care about Harry Potter, but my sister is a big fan. I picked up the big 3 for her, and Voldemort. Now to decide if I leave them as is, or repaint them.

Also I picked up a Supes figure for a friend who likes Superman. For less than I pay for a soda I call that a good deal.

• Like 7

They strip nicely with acetone, and yeah, that factory paint job obscures a LOT of detail. 

Now, thanks to Mad Jack, I cannot unsee Supergirl's freakishly long legs. Hadn't even NOTICED until he brought it up...

nanometdc8supgirl-inset1__43600.1499349954.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

They strip nicely with acetone, and yeah, that factory paint job obscures a LOT of detail. 

Now, thanks to Mad Jack, I cannot unsee Supergirl's freakishly long legs. Hadn't even NOTICED until he brought it up...

nanometdc8supgirl-inset1__43600.1499349954.jpg

Could you share some pictures of the bare figures?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Well, being an alien and all...

2 hours ago, Last Knight said:

Hey hey hey! Family friendly! Stop that!

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Hey hey hey! Family friendly! Stop that!

:rolleyes:

I knew someone was going to interpret it that way...

Congrats on being today's someone, I suppose. ::P:

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Last Knight said:

Harry.thumb.jpg.fe33afd41cbeb34ecec71694253e3a60.jpg I'm a lousy photographer, but I notice there are eye details within the circles of his glasses. You'd not have known this from the painted figure, due to that awful thick factory paint. That, and they seemed to think metallic enamels were the way to go for their main colors, and metallic BLACK is... well... gray. I think I can do better.

Is it as good as a Reaper? No.

Is it as detailed as a Reaper Bones? No.

What it IS is cheap Harry Potter, perfectly good practice for fine details, neat stocking stuffers for friends, and handy cheap rewards that my students will cheerfully stab each other to obtain. And if they'll do that, perhaps they'll give me a week of relative peace and quiet instead...

And why didn't I realize that someone was going to make a bad joke about figs? Yeesh. You're AWARE that the figures include the three main characters from Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, yes? Including Newt Scamander? (seen at far right in the picture in the first post) Whose first name is presumably Newton? Which makes him...

...a FIG NEWTON?

Hurl your rotten tomatoes; it's YOUR monitor. ::P:

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Last Knight said:

:rolleyes:

I knew someone was going to interpret it that way...

Congrats on being today's someone, I suppose. ::P:

Hooray! I'm someone!

It's almost as good as getting my name in the white pages.

• Like 9

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rob Dean
      TL;DR: I don't understand tightly linked figure and rules ranges.

I was writing my Huzzah report for my blog this morning, and one thing led to another.  My collaborator and I agreed at the convention that next year's game(s) was(were) going to be something using the combined resources of our 16th century home cast 40mm projects.  So, yesterday I dug out my bags of castings to see what I should start working on, and, after blogging this morning I decided that the proper thing to do was to muster the troops on the table and see what I really had. (My last inventory is both hidden somewhere and probably suspect anyway.)

So, there they are: 4 artillery pieces, 18 assorted cavalry stands, 10 stands of pikes and pike command, 5 stands of swordsmen, 4 stands of improvised converted crossbowmen, and 8 stands of musketeers. (Three need repairs, which I can do today now that I've had them laid out.)  

The story that goes with these figures is this:

I have been interested in the 16th century, and the warfare of the 16th century, for longer than I can remember.  It's probably a combination of being an early music enthusiast and being exposed to Sir Charles Oman's History of the Art of War in the Sixteenth Century at an impressionable age.  In the early years of the current phase of my interest in the miniatures hobby (starting around 1987, say) I would play 16th century games at the conventions when I could, but never started my own project, being intimidate by painting all those Landsknechts.  

By the time our club, the HAWKs, had started in 1994, I was already casting some of my own figures from commercial molds.  Chris Palmer, also a member of this board, and I both had fairly extensive mold collections, including two non-compatible 40mm 18th century sets.  Mine were Prince August, and his Nuernberger Meisterzinn. He also had a Meisterzinn catalog.  I don't know much about Meisterzinn, but they were already a zombie company (things kept in production but no new products) by 1994.  They had a small range of 16th century molds, and I thought that it would be an interesting challenge to collect them, cast up some figures, and put a game together.  A set of rules called Armati had just come out, with a Renaissance section and provision for playing with a single stand as a unit, so I used that as the basis for my casting.

It took, as these things do, a couple of years to get things done to the point of playing games with them.  Not long after that, Chris decided to build some 40mm Leonardo da Vinci machines to go with them, inspired by a number of games of Leonardo Plus which were run at the cons for a few years.  Those rules didn't suit our collections, though, so we ended up staging a game using home rules at Cold Wars in 1999.  

After that, the figures got put away for a while, until Ross and I ended up in discussions about how difficult it would be to convert enough of the figures to form the basis of a 16th century English army (still using the longbow).  From there, we ended up deciding to put on a game in 2004 using a scenario from the Anglo-Scots Wars of the 1540s.  The siege of Haddington in 1548 was nearly a perfect match for our hodgepodge collections, with mercenaries from all over Europe participating on one side or the other.  Once again, we had to write rules to suit our collection of miniatures.  My pictures of that game are unfortunately pre-digital, and buried somewhere.  We even got an award from the convention for that one, because it was unusual and eye-catching.

Since then, we dust them off every few years, revise the rules again to taste, and set to.  If I'm at home, I'm somewhat limited by my collection, but I can still put on a decent two player game:

I still haven't managed to get to the Siege of Malta in 1565, but Ross wants to do Turks this next year, so we'll see what happens.

Anyway, after all of that, my point and question is this:

With my DIY background, I have a hard time understanding what seems to me to be the ever increasing trend of players buying into tightly linked figure and rules lines.  I see posts/listen to podcasts/conversations/etc. in which people grouse about the speed with which games come out and die, and how that renders their miniatures useless.  I may be a little odd, but it's not that unusual in the historical community to accept that the figures you buy are going to end up being used with many sets of rules, that you may need to write a set to match the size of your collection, and that you might want to work on something that you like the look of, because the figures are forever, but the rules are ephemeral.

Thoughts?  Are you a new person?  Another grognard like me?

• By EldritchEladrin
      This year is the year of giving miniatures as birthday gifts to the friends I game with. One of these fine fellows--my oldest and dearest friend--has a birthday in a couple weeks. He loves magic-users and is obsessed with Harry Potter, so I painted up a 25th anniversary Domur as a classic "Gandalf the Grey" style wizard for his present:

Tried to layer the flames to give some interesting and pleasing texture. Let me know how I did.

Also, given his love for all things Potter, I did my best to modify Domur's spellbook to a more familiar book cover...

I'm actually surprised I could keep the brush steady enough for it to come across at all similar, to be honest.
    • By Chris Palmer
      The first teaser trailer is out for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.   I know there's a lot of controversy surrounding Johnny Depp's casting as Grindewald, and the original movie had a luke warm reception (I liked it); but Jude Law sure does make a cool young Dumbledore and I'm interested to see what he does with the character.   

• By Chris Palmer
      So we've seen a computer name paint colors; now they have set one to writing its own Harry Potter Fan Fiction titles and summaries:

http://lewisandquark.tumblr.com/post/162668008357/harry-potter-and-the-neural-network-fan-fiction

The results, though grammatically awkward, often end up being funny or just plain surreal.

Some examples...

Mirror by orphan_account
      Severus Snape tries to get a lot of dragons and that was to be more than he didn’t expect to continue. He has always been a bit of an old and a baby to stay the way he’d been the brother at Hogwarts and he keeps the chance of meeting…

Birds of a Saturday by SasuNarufan13
      Harry Potter is drunk and discovers he is an alternate universe.
  • Who's Online   25 Members, 3 Anonymous, 195 Guests (See full list)