Well, here I go again.  With my tight schedule, there was no way I was going to get the Hakuna Matata diorama sculpted and painted. So I am going to paint my Coraline Thaddington sculpt.  I have been wanting to paint her ever since I sculpted her. This will still be a challenge, since though the volume of modeling and painting is lower, the paint job I have in mind for her is considerably more complex than anything I have attempted before.

I originally sculpted her because I was very inspired by the works of artist Sarah Ellerton, specifically, the character Anya from The Phoenix Requiem.  If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it as it is very good.  I was also heavily inspired by Jane Austin, my wife, and a burgeoning love of steampunk.

The sculpt was actually derived from over 40 different sources, so I have a lot of inspiration to choose from for a paint job.  That said, I want to pay homage to Anya from TPR first as that is where I first fell in love with the period.  I plan on painting her with a derivation of this artwork by Sarah Ellerton from TPR:

jonas_and_anya_by_artsangel.jpg

I de-flashed and polished her last night. I just primed her and took my initial shots.  When I am painting for a show like this, I always take photos of the mini with forward zenithal lighting after priming.  These I make black and white and use then throughout the painting process to check my highlight and shadow placement.  I will also print a couple out and use them to test color combinations. They also let me check to see if any areas need additional polishing, smoothing, and filling. By the pictures, I need to work on her right cheek and right side a bit more.

IMG_2544.JPG.66eae92aed0f074440c81019ba6e7109.JPGIMG_2545.JPG.7f8c2976ac507aae83e3e8cf4b8c8b69.JPGIMG_2547.JPG.6a2d014884fc6f4c95faff82c9795dcb.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG.194bcd785f8e152646cede47659a6e8a.JPGIMG_2549.JPG.c50fecbc1ae54d091fa739c829e9d704.JPG

Hopefully, paint will happen tomorrow night.

Andy

• Like 21

Wow I did not know she was one of yours, mines in trouble she is staring at a weeping angel immune a Sherlock Holmes diorama.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

*** Brings out the cheeseplatter, olives and a bottle of Merlot***

Mmmmm...I like the way you think.  I often paint while enjoying a glass of wine. Lately, I've been working through some Riesling, but Merlot is my favorite red.

12 hours ago, Humansquish said:

I look forward to this, Coraline is one of my favorite sculpts.

Thank you! ::D:

8 hours ago, Limey72 said:

Wow I did not know she was one of yours, mines in trouble she is staring at a weeping angel immune a Sherlock Holmes diorama.

I'd really like to see that.  Do you have it posted somewhere?

• Like 3

I took the photos from the last post and glued a few into my journal and started working out the colors I want to use. Here is a picture of the results:

IMG_2550.JPG.efe72d4050e7b9c5f2bdabb2c4cc8b01.JPG

I like the brightness of the first one, but the Carnival Purple and the Pale Lichen are too close in Saturation? (I think that's the right term, @Corporea can set me straight if not, as I learned this from her). Essentially, if you look at this as black and white, the purple and green look nearly the same.  

So I decided to go darker on the purple.  That way the purple will be my darkest tone, the green and pink/mauve as mid tones, and the cream on the lace and gloves as a light tone.  I also want fairly cool colors in her dress to offset/accentuate the warm tones in her skin and hair. For the purple, I tried making it by adding black to one of my existing purple colors and it turned out muddy, with no vibrancy.  Yuck.  It looked like a dark bruise.  So I changed directions and made an even mix of Blue Liner, Red Liner, and Clear Purple.  Bingo, that is what I am looking for.  I highlighted this with a bit of straight clear purple to get what you see in the second two pictures. 

I nearly have her dialed in, but didn't like the green in the front panel of her dress. So I painted the third picture with it in purple and like that best. I'll have to do something interesting with the highlighting to pick out the lace on the panel if it is the same color.  I have ideas though...

I also deflashed and polished the arm with the fan.  I won't be using the pistol arm or the top hat.

Tonight, the painting begins.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I like the brightness of the first one, but the Carnival Purple and the Pale Lichen are too close in Saturation? (I think that's the right term, @Corporea can set me straight if not, as I learned this from her). Essentially, if you look at this as black and white, the purple and green look nearly the same.  

That would be "tone" using a Hue, Saturation, Tone color model.

• Hue: Basic color from which the final color arises. Red, green, orange, violet, chartreuse, whatever.
  • Saturation: How vibrant that color is.
  • Tone: How dark or light the color is. (Photoshop calls this "Lightness" in their HSL color model.)

In that first photo, the Lichen is a midtone of a low saturation green. The purple is a midtone of a medium-high saturation purplish magenta.

BTW, I'm looking forward to this, not least because I came this close (imagine fingers really close together) to painting this figure for ReaperCon. ^_^ Which is to say that I quite like the sculpt as well.

• Like 3

I base coated her last night:

IMG_2566.JPG.bd1694c736aa6c54bb741e29bef04dfc.JPG

In so doing, I found that two of her fingers and thumb are malformed due to the mold line.  I shaved them down with my knife and will fix them with putty tonight.

• Like 11

This is great! I'm so excited to finally see you paint her.

Mine is based, but still bare primer. She's in the queue for my lunch-break painting, though, so she's closer than she was. I still want to enter at Reapercon eventually.

You showed me that picture from TPR at a RCon a few years ago, I like your basecoat choices to get something similar. Definitely watching to see where you take her.

• Like 2