bojesphob

I didn't have time to take better photos of this, too much going on recently to break out the DSLR, so I just used my phone camera. Not entirely enthused about the pics, but the mini itself was a BLAST to paint - probably my favorite non-dragon/large monster I've painted up so far! Once I got the color scheme thought through, I actually painted it up rather quickly. Tried a few new techniques on the stones on the base to make them seem a little more polished, which in person really stands out well :) Critiques?

Wizard1.jpg

Wizard2.jpg

• Like 19

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work and I like that blue a lot. I think the stones also turned out nicely. It looks like you have some nice shading happening, I would push your highlights more. Glad to hear he is fun to paint. I have him in my box of "need to paint these eventually someday"!

11 hours ago, Pochi said:

Nice work and I like that blue a lot. I think the stones also turned out nicely. It looks like you have some nice shading happening, I would push your highlights more. Glad to hear he is fun to paint. I have him in my box of "need to paint these eventually someday"!

Thanks! Just for clarification, do you mean you feel I should take the highlighting of the blue up some more (ie, make a couple more layers with lighter blue) or just overall?

I was actually dreading trying to paint it, because it seemed daunting before I started. Once I got the base coat of blue down, I didn't find it that way anymore. Everything flowed pretty easily after that :)

• Like 1

Can't speak for @Pochi, but I took her to mean that you should bring the highlights up in tone (typically that would be adding more, lighter blues to the highlit parts of the robe). Assuming that to be correct, I agree. :poke:

Painter's mantra: "Higher highlights, deeper shadows. Higher highlights, deeper shadows. Higher highlights, deeper shadows." Just keep chanting that as you paint. ::D:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Can't speak for @Pochi, but I took her to mean that you should bring the highlights up in tone (typically that would be adding more, lighter blues to the highlit parts of the robe). Assuming that to be correct, I agree. :poke:

Painter's mantra: "Higher highlights, deeper shadows. Higher highlights, deeper shadows. Higher highlights, deeper shadows." Just keep chanting that as you paint. ::D:

Ah, ok, that's what I was assuming, but always good to ask LOL I do have to say, though, that the flash on my phone camera does tend to wash out color variations. The difference between the dark and light blue is a bit more stark than the photo implies. But, I still appreciate the critique! Even after ~20 years of painting, I'm always looking to improve :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bojesphob said:

Thanks! Just for clarification, do you mean you feel I should take the highlighting of the blue up some more (ie, make a couple more layers with lighter blue) or just overall?

I was actually dreading trying to paint it, because it seemed daunting before I started. Once I got the base coat of blue down, I didn't find it that way anymore. Everything flowed pretty easily after that :)

26 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Yep, that's what I meant. ::D: I do know sometimes that photos don't always give an accurate vision of your work. It is quite possible that the photos are washing out your highlights. If you are happy with it, and no reason you shouldn't be, just ignore me! I have started highlighting my stuff higher than what I think is necessary and most of the time, it is an improvement. I can always glaze it and tone it down if I go to bright. It is still something I struggle with, getting that contrast between a nice deep shadow and a bright highlight. Just like @Doug Sundseth said, "Higher highlights, deeper shadows." ::P:

• Like 1