TARDIS Christmas Diorama

SparrowMarie

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the river cracked while it was drying so I have to start that bit over. It also didn't stick to the wood like I thought it was going to. I'm going to sand the base some while the new river base dries...for like 3 days minimum. Once everything is dry I'm going to seal the top of the river to paint on it and then glue it to the sanded base. Then if I can do it carefully enough I'm going to pin it in place. 

Meanwhile, I'm digging through rocks to find ones small enough to be suitable for a border and a couple to go in the river. I'm still waiting on my can of dullcote, it was shipped today though so I should be able to do some test runs with the decals very soon. I still need to finish the last bit of painting on the TARDIS too. 

• Like 1

I don't know if that is appropriate as your base is different from mine, but when I did the Spec Ops diorama, I scratched the surface of the diorama where I wanted to put the water/sculpt putty so it could grip into the base a bit.

But then again - your diorama base is different so I don't know if that might work.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

I don't know if that is appropriate as your base is different from mine, but when I did the Spec Ops diorama, I scratched the surface of the diorama where I wanted to put the water/sculpt putty so it could grip into the base a bit.

But then again - your diorama base is different so I don't know if that might work.

I'm going to sand off the finish and hope that it will stick with some glue once the clay has totally dried. 

My second attempt at a river totally failed. It just fell apart when I went to pick it up to see how dry it was. So I'm probably going to do my best to patch up the first one since it's only got a little cracking going on. I'm seeing Sibling on Thursday so hopefully they can help me figure out what our best options are as far as sculpting rivers goes. I really only need the clay to hold the water that I'm going to pour so maybe there is something different I can do. I can't keep making them until it just works because I don't want to have to buy more clay and it takes 2-3+ days for it to completely dry out.

Once I figure that out I need to make small bases for the trees since they didn't come with any. Then onto placement and whatnot from there.

• Like 2

Got the dullcote in the mail today. It actually fit in my mailbox which surprised me. Anyway, now I should be able to start testing decals soon. 

Yesterday I sanded the finish off the base and glued the river to it. I'm a little worried about it though because the glue made the clay wet in places. It seems to have dried out now that the glue is dry. But I don't want to paint it until I can seal it so it doesn't make everything wet again. I have some sealer made for oven dry clay so I'm going to try that, since it's made for clay, before I paint. I might have to do a little trimming of things once I've poured the "water" into it and before I glue all the rocks down on the sides. I also need to figure out how to hold the trees up since they didn't come with any sort of bases.

Sibling is coming over this weekend so hopefully we can make a lot of progress on this. 

• Like 3

I pulled out my sculpey glaze and went over the river. This seems to have sealed it from the moisture in the paint because I haven't had any problems with it again. I need to do a couple more layers of different colored paint to give it some depth. 

Sibling came over and has started sculpting birds for me. They look great. Definitely not to scale but I'll just say it's an alien planet with larger than normal birds or something. We've got a long way to go but it's looking good right now. Pictures tonight sometime.

• Like 1