MonsterSlayer

bones strippping help

I have been away from painting and these boards for a while.

I recently got back into painting and started with some of the bones 3 ogres. I made a rookie mistake with bad lighting and decided they had to go in the Simple Green bath.

The ones that I based coated with brown cleaned fairly well.The armored ogres had Vallejo Coal Black and the stuff will not come off after 36 hours.That is not even a primer, just black model paint.

So has anyone had this problem? Do I need to step up the cleaning solution to acetone free nail polish remover? Brake fluid? Has anyone tried nail polish remover or brake fluid on the Bones? how does the plastic react?

It can take soaking in simple green for up to a week to remove some paints. Just leave it in the cleaner for a few more days and then wash it off with a stiff bristled toothbrush and warm soapy water. 

I used several Bones for test minis - direct, no brown liner - and after letting them sit for over a year decided to try and use Simple Green to strip the paint.

Reaper - After a few days it was loose enough that I could brush most of it off with an old toothbrush.  I threw it back in for another week to take care of the rest.

VMC - It took a little longer, but once it decided to come off it came off pretty easily with brushing.  Interestingly though, some of them had stained the Bones surface and left a residual color.

VGC - This hadn't come off even after I'd scrubbed the previous two off so I threw the Bones back into the SG and proceeded to forget about them... for three months.  The VGC still wouldn't come off with an old toothbrush, or a new toothbrush, or an electric toothbrush, though I could scrape it off with a nail.  I wasn't looking to attack Bones with a wire brush though, so I decided the paint could stay where it was.

In short, some Vallejo paints really like Bones.  You may have found one such formulation.

• Like 3

The only stripper I've tried on Bones is isopropyl alcohol (91%).  I haven't tried soaking one in it, but it worked to remove a small amount of recently applied MSP paint from an unprimed figure.  I haven't tested anything with Vallejo paint, though.  

I put smaller parts into a small ultrasonic cleaner I bought from Harbor Freight Tools, filled with Simple Green.  It usually takes 1-2 cycles to strip the paint (varies by manufacturer, I mostly use Reaper and Vallejo with a small smattering of Citadel).  I then scrub the parts with a stiff nylon bristle brush ( my old All-Purpose brush for cleaning my rifle from my Marine Corps days). The paint usually comes right off, depending on what you prime with. I usually prime with reaper liner, then spray Tamiya primer or an automotive primer over it, depending on what colors i am painting.  Some automotive primers can take a few more cycles in the U/S cleaner until the paint is stripped satisfactorily.

Edited by Bloodhowl
  • Like 1