Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Empire Of Men - 28mm Sci-Fi miniatures collection

About this project

Designed by Archon Studio, creators of League of Ancient Defenders and Vanguard of Warcomes Empire of Men - a miniature line of 28mm scale set in dark future, where World War I still rages on.

War that should have ended long time ago

Our miniatures are based on various military designs from World War I and II eras, with obvious dark sci-fi twist added to it. Divided into two factions, they are more closer to it's historical sources or more imaginative on the other hand.

52a1b383febc56cd5befdd7f9933ddc6_origina

Heavy boots, thick leather coats and gas masks worn by everyone - that's The Great Empire in the nutshell. What they are lacking in physicality, they will compensate in calibers and amount of shots per minute. As World War One rages on mostly on their lands, toxic warfare resulted in whole zones being inhabited by mutated people, who eventually serve as Ubermans. Nothing is wasted in Military Industrial Complex of Great Empire.

7e82c719a0acfb8f46ea76f2850ab0ba_origina

Inhuman sleekness, terrifying effectiveness and cold calculation are Echelon Dominion's traits. After mandatory "Echelon Civilian Enhancement" government programs, can no longer considered as "human". This is not a decision taken solely by The Great Empire, but also by the Echelon, who see human equating to weakness. Where other forces deploy heavy infantry, The Echelon deploy Constructs. Where other forces face fear and suffering, they welcome challenge and seek to prove themselves. Their purpose is unknown as they don’t fight solely for the purpose of land, honor or survival but whatever their plan is it will end current era for mankind for sure.

How the models are built

All models from "Empire of Men" line are multipart and 28mm scaled. You can see overview of sizes below:

4898fbd72408b2acbf5d8a78dfed4b6b_origina

Also - if you have backed any of the previous Archon's campaigns, you can compare sizes of Empire of Men models with VoW and LOAD miniatures as well.

ce72bac3b0a3a7dc8dd1b9282311ee83_origina

b6a975748a0882c1c75d8c35cbfc59eb_origina

This makes me wonder if they are going to drop warzone, as this is very similar to bauhaus.

The other thing I wonder about is why is this made in resin and not their unicast material?

I have loved the Minis I have received from Archon in the past. To answer your question Maledrakh about material they wrote this in the kickstarter comments.

Archon Studio and 3D GeekSaw Creator about 8 hours ago

@Maledrakh We should be more clear about it in first place - sorry. We are not using pure resin, same "other material" we used for LOAD, but it has similar properties to HIPS.

and the unicast material also is not HIPS. I belive it was said by prodos/archon back in the day when unicast first wsa revealed, that there was polystyrene in the material.

I have one of the unicast minis from the space crusade range, and have just experimeneted a bit with poly cement and a piece of GW HIPS sprue.

There is some tack, but the plastic does not stay glued under any sort of pressure. I dont think you could glue a multipart mini with poly cement.

It is much closer to traditional resin than HIPS as far as I can tell, and does hold excellent detail.

I do find the beating about the bush about the material a bit offputting.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

resin is also definitely not HIPS.

Actually, it is (or can be). So is PVC. Pretty much all plastics are available as resins.

Typically, "resin" as used in miniatures descriptions refers more to the method of production than the material. 

7 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Actually, it is (or can be). So is PVC. Pretty much all plastics are available as resins.

Typically, "resin" as used in miniatures descriptions refers more to the method of production than the material. 

I must disagree. I've probably never actually heard that "resin" is used to refer to the method used, but only the material.

Anyway, I love these concepts.

30 minutes ago, Grefven said:

I must disagree. I've probably never actually heard that "resin" is used to refer to the method used, but only the material.

Anyway, I love these concepts.

If you search on "polystyrene resin" or "PVC resin", you'll find lots of sources that would be happy to sell it to you by the ton.

The issue is that there isn't any actual definition of what "resin" might be when used in the description of a miniature. It probably has to be some sort of polymer, but there are a variety of plastics that can reasonably be so described and the physical characteristics of the miniatures made from "resin" vary quite a lot.

The primary common characteristic of those minis is that they're typically cast in small batches in RTV silicone molds with limited lifespans rather than injection molded in expensive metal molds by the thousands. You might reasonably say that the use of "resin" to describe minis produced by other processes is not what you expected, but it's technically correct.

IMO, "resin" is a term of limited utility for exactly those reasons. But it's short and easy to remember, so it's become common, even if not particularly specific or limiting.

• Like 1

would this then be a case of "all plastics are resin, but not all resins are plastics?"

anyway,

in the world of miniatures, "resin" would refer to a two part polymer that is mixed, cast in cold or not especially hot moulds, and when set cannot be unmixed or even melted down to be used again,

typical compounds would be polyurethane or polyester. Any miscasts cannot be recycled into new castings.

while "plastic" usually would refer to melted and pressure injected one-part material that can be remelted and injected again.

typical compounds would be polystyrene, PVC / Bonesium "board game plastic" and also the "restic". miscasts can be remelted / recycled into new castings.

I do not know which category the unicast material sorts under, but my suspisions are that technically it casts like "plastic", but handles like "resin" when it comes to modelling and painting.

You guys are messing with my head! I'll still continue to state that my miniatures for my own project is in "resin" regardless of what wierd stuff you are saying. :D

Anyway, lets not derail the topic... As a personal opinion, I hope they manage to put together the gasmasked ogre-guy. That concept looks really good, especially the more armoured one to the right. :)

• Like 1