OSL on a sword

Arc 724

Hello all,

I keep looking for pictures of dungeon crawling where they are carrying a sword and and torch. I can't seem to find one...

I have a miniature I am very close to finishing but the OSL reflecting on the sword is eluding me. So rather than stew in my own misery I would reach out to everyone hear.

It's maddening cause I got the OSL on his clothing looking good but I have not been able to wrap my mind around how it would look on a reflective surface.

THANK YOU,

`Arc 

Edited by Arc 724

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be a good time to try out your NMM technique.  You can also try to find artwork by Julie Bell and Frank Frazetta that probably have what you're after.  There's also one Dragonlance novel--second gen with Palin and his brother (s?  been a while) where they're climbing stairs and I'm pretty sure one has a sword and one has a torch.

11 hours ago, rfusca said:

Should just be an edge highlight right? Depends on the orientation of the sword though.

Spoiler

kids-torch.jpg

Thank you, most helpful. 

2 hours ago, BLZeebub said:

Might be a good time to try out your NMM technique.  You can also try to find artwork by Julie Bell and Frank Frazetta that probably have what you're after.  There's also one Dragonlance novel--second gen with Palin and his brother (s?  been a while) where they're climbing stairs and I'm pretty sure one has a sword and one has a torch.

Indeed, that was my plan. I have done TMM exclusively for years now. I have been NMM for a few miniature lately and enjoying it. I'll look them up thank you.

2 hours ago, alchemist said:

Not sure if this might help:

Spoiler

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server5200/0429b/images/stencil/500x500/products/77/303/goh_tarika1__16969.1344363360.jpg?c=2

It is helpful. Every little bit helps.

Which figure are you working on? As mentioned, the orientation of the sword blade is going to be the biggest factor in how you do the reflections on it.

You're going to be dealing with reflections from two different light sources - the ambient lighting conditions and the torch - so each will be producing it's own separate set of highlights and shadows.

• Like 1