Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Starfinder Masterclass Miniatures

9 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I wanted to back this, I liked a lot of the sculpts, even though we don't play Starfinder,

Grump talked me out of it, pointing at BOTH the companies involved in the figures.

If Grump could see it, so could Paizo, so why was this allowed to go forward? Are they THAT desperate for money and or miniatures?

I wanted the blue dragon with shoulder mounted cannon. :lol:

Dragon.jpg

This is literally the ONLY thing I wanted from it...Who doesn't want a dragon wielding a plasma cannon?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Always did "love" that blurb regarding the dragon

*Blue dragon is NOT included in the All-in pledge.

<_<

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NomadZeke said:

This is literally the ONLY thing I wanted from it...Who doesn't want a dragon wielding a plasma cannon?

Player characters, that's who!

calvin_and_hobbes_013.jpg

The Auld Grump

One of my all time favorite Calvin and Hobbes comics, in case no one could guess.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, HornedTurtle said:

Sounds like there would be a market for taking a bones dragon and some of the weapons from the bones CAV's and making magic happen.

... gimme a few minutes, and a lot of green stuff - I have one of those awaiting completion. ;p

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, HornedTurtle said:

Sounds like there would be a market for taking a bones dragon and some of the weapons from the bones CAV's and making magic happen.

I'm still sort of contemplating that idea for a Pathfinder Red Dragon riding on top of my resin Dictator B, but...  That's a lot of insanity for the $150 CAD worth of minis we're talking about... 

Oh wait, we're talking adding weapons to a dragon.... Hmm. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Haha 2

Not exactly about this kickstarter, but it's very relevant nonetheless:

It looks like Paizo is starting to look elsewhere for Starfinder miniature production.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, terminalmancer said:

Not exactly about this kickstarter, but it's very relevant nonetheless:

It looks like Paizo is starting to look elsewhere for Starfinder miniature production.

I rember ordering that dragon...do you think the wizkids miniatures will be all new minis or will they reuse the few Kickstarter minis that where released...hopefully Reaper makes some genaric orcs, elves, troll, etc in space type figures

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Gamingdog said:

I rember ordering that dragon...do you think the wizkids miniatures will be all new minis or will they reuse the few Kickstarter minis that where released...hopefully Reaper makes some genaric orcs, elves, troll, etc in space type figures

Probably new, as I understand it Ninja Division retains the rights to their sculpts from this project.

Also note that the new line is prepaints only--I'm guessing we won't see unpainted Starfinder models until this KS is resolved.

• Like 4

Another interesting detail is that in the Paizo post they note that Ninja Division retains a license for unpainted miniatures. Ninja Division has been selling prepaints as well to try to make some money to keep the operation afloat--makes me wonder what the status of those will be going forward.

1 hour ago, Gamingdog said:

In my estimation, definitely all-new minis. The companies have different manufacturers, use different materials, are packaged in completely different ways... compared to the molds used for plastic production, sculpts are pretty cheap (from what I understand) so the advantages of repurposing the sculpts would be pretty small. But I don't know if we've seen anything official on that.

• Like 1

There was an update today that a new manufacturer, Archon Studio, is taking over the production on the miniatures and will be producing all of them in plastic.  And will be starting with fulfilling rewards for backers and shipping them in batches as they are produced and selling the completed miniatures online.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/325468910/starfinder-masterclass-miniatures/posts/2576401?context=comment_from_email&amp;ref=ksr_email_backer_project_update_registered_users#comments

26 minutes ago, HornedTurtle said:

There was an update today that a new manufacturer, Archon Studio, is taking over the production on the miniatures and will be producing all of them in plastic.  And will be starting with fulfilling rewards for backers and shipping them in batches as they are produced and selling the completed miniatures online.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/325468910/starfinder-masterclass-miniatures/posts/2576401?context=comment_from_email&amp;ref=ksr_email_backer_project_update_registered_users#comments

Odd choice given Archon’s history with the AvP Kickstarter. Feels like an out of the frying pan and into the fire scenario.

• Like 3

Archon/Prodos were always the ones who were making the starfinder stuff as they were the company Soda Pop used to do the casting (and they were using some sort of proprietry tech the called Unicast to make the moulds so they could do fairly complex poses in resin without having to produce a cast that needed assembly)

they'd also cast a whole bunch of the starfinder stuff that didn't get shipped to Soda Pop as they hadn't been paid  so these may be sitting there ready to go out (although that stuff might also have been destroyed to avoid paying a big tax bill on assets held so they might have to start again, I wonder if Paizo stepped in to cover that bill?)

but generally acting as Archon they've been reasonably good about getting stuff done on time and in decent condition so I'm moderately hopeful this will mean backers end up getting their stuff

Edit: having now read the actual starfinder update as well as the soda pop one it says

Archon Studio will be producing plastic miniatures instead of resin. They will also be starting over with Kickstarter fulfillment; this means that backers who have already received resin miniatures from Ninja Division will receive those minis again from Archon, this time in plastic.

so even better for many ('ive got a test sprue of a mini from archon in HIPS, and it's pretty good)

Edited by Orlando_the_Technicoloured
  • Like 3

I'm pleased that I've another chance of getting the minis I pledged for.  I'm not sure it'll happen, but we'll see.  Best case, I get starfinder minis.  Worst case, I'm still in the same place as I am now.

• Like 3