Sign in to follow this  
Shindoku

Miniature Too Large For Base

I'm looking at basing some of my miniatures now that I have a few standard 25mm round bases but I seem to have run into a problem. In the Animal Companion pack, the wolf and the cat are too big for these bases as it seems they were made with cavalier bases in mind. Luckily, the bear is on two hind legs swiping so I should be able to base it with no problems, possibly having to glue a coin inside the base to give it weight to not fall over. I've seen the thread discussing the Owlbear and Iron Cobra with the same problem, but I'm not a fan of the solution of simply basing the figures with larger bases than what the size is in Pathfinder. I'm anal, and a bit stubborn. I figure the best way is to build up the platform with some slate on an angle and have the figure looking over Lion King-style or coming down like a prowling predator. Wondering if anyone has other suggestions I could try, even to mix it up a bit so not every over-sized miniature is based the same way. I'm attaching a picture to show just how much larger the figure is to the base, and where the feet are.

IMG_4029.JPG

Yeah, don't do that.  There are bases that measure approx 60mm by 30mm (or 25mm), in rectangular shape and probably oval as well.  If you have access to a saw you can cut some balsa or other thin wood and make your own custom base.  I wouldn't try that much overhang though unless it's on a larger for-show piece.

Edit:  Re: the show piece idea.  If it wouldn't look totally lopsided you could cut the integrated base off and attach only the front or rear feet to that base pictured.  That way the wolf is either landing or actively pouncing upon something.  That could be a really cool conversion too.  And you can still use your slate chip on top of the base for visual interest.  Get some grass or dirt around the feet to soften the transition of course.

Edited by BLZeebub
Furthermore...
  • Like 1

I really want to stick with the round 25 mm base to keep with uniformity and the game mechanics. I understand I'm trying to make two things that don't go together, go together. And yes, BLZeebub, I will be cutting off the integrated base for the figures. It may come down to me having to use this particular figure as a Dire Wolf (Large Sized creature, 50 mm) or something of the like should I not be able to get the 25 mm base to work.

I've run into the same problem with the Tre Manor orcs, which I wanted to use for D&D (and I didn't have any 32mm bases handy at the time). One solution for a figure just a little larger than 25mm was to trim off the integral base and let part of one foot extend past the edge of the base, and actually it enhanced the look of the pose a bit (or I've just rationalized my hack, you decide).

You could also try square bases, with the figure oriented diagonally. A 25mm square base will have a 35mm diagonal, roughly.

(I haven't painted my owlbear yet, aren't they supposed to be Large anyway?)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lazylich said:

I've run into the same problem with the Tre Manor orcs, which I wanted to use for D&D (and I didn't have any 32mm bases handy at the time). One solution for a figure just a little larger than 25mm was to trim off the integral base and let part of one foot extend past the edge of the base, and actually it enhanced the look of the pose a bit (or I've just rationalized my hack, you decide).

You could also try square bases, with the figure oriented diagonally. A 25mm square base will have a 35mm diagonal, roughly.

have any pictures???  Ive been trying to figure out what to do with my orcs as well!

13 minutes ago, lazylich said:

I was wondering how the one foot overhang would look as well. It was either going to look fairly good or look like I had run out of space on the base and just went with it. As for the Owlbear, yes, it is a large creature and shouldn't be a problem if I ever get to that part of a bestiary. The Owlbear was more an example from the last thread of a miniature that was too large for the base that the person wanted, I think for Warlord or something.

One of the reasons I've turned away from square bases is one of my players miniatures I got for them, Lem the Iconic Halfling Bard, seems to completely block the parts of the map below the base. Whenever Lem was in a square that had a wall connecting to it, almost all of my players had a tough time seeing that there was a wall connecting in that square and would try to pass through it on their turn. I cannot imagine what would happen with multiple of those on the map. The round bases fit nicely inside the grid and allow my players to see the map below the party and their enemies far easier.

11 minutes ago, edz16 said:

have any pictures???  Ive been trying to figure out what to do with my orcs as well!

I do, I just need to browse my old attachments...

These are the bones versions of Manor's black orcs, mounted diagonally on a 25mm square base.  I extended the bases a bit with some cork where needed, but as you can see they still fit side by side on a grid.

post-13211-0-09844900-1409545662_thumb.jpgpost-13211-0-73198300-1409545666_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I recently painted that mini myself. I trimmed the integral base to fit on a 1 inch fender washer and left the forward most front paw to hang over the edge. I'll try to snap a pic when I get home.