Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator

No, I'm not neutering a 5 headed dragon, I'm fixing the sloppiness that occurred on Ma'al Drakar due to the time crunch during my 7 day challenge. 

First things first:

IMG_2667.thumb.JPG.b62556d06d30f14fe665c902bd9d959a.JPG

IMG_2668.thumb.JPG.b2bc47f7cde1df511aa0adda954c69be.JPG

IMG_2669.thumb.JPG.7cbcc2404af7a7ad251d016f50db9558.JPG

 

Those aren't spots I missed, those are spots that I just spent the last few hours scraping with an x-acto to remove the mold lines that I'd missed. 

Yes, it was absolutely as heartbreaking to do as you think it was. 

 

I thought someone might find some use in seeing how I'm going about reworking things in my attempt to bring this beastie to Reapercon. 

So the destruction's done, next step, patching things up and continuing working on the mold lines I couldn't scrape off. 

  • Like 22
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Moderator

Ok so I'm working on sections bit by bit. First things first, gotta get rid of these mold lines. 

 

IMG_2670.thumb.JPG.bd4a50693fc7a8d486847d4aa4c475e0.JPG

Ugh, look at all of them! Not a problem though, thanks to an extremely useful tip from Jessica Rich. 

 

IMG_2672.thumb.JPG.5390cf5aa127a0403b3d3973ec4cceaf.JPG

So I alternated between coats of GW 'Ardcoat (slopped on somewhat heavily along the mold lines) and my base colour, S75 Eldandil Violet. I didn't keep track of how many times I went over them. It was several times. But look how much better we're looking!

 

IMG_2674.thumb.JPG.760fd4ad608f319f987ff6b7b2e600be.JPG

  • Like 21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

I made a pretty big oopsies last night and just about completely carved this tooth off. 

IMG_2675.thumb.JPG.e0e05c91f36d2fbe5783781e65483ee6.JPG

Whoops. 

 

So this morning I mixed up a little bit of greenstuff and did my best to fix it back up. 

IMG_2676.thumb.JPG.121543dae2e1d2fe168554fcdce1255b.JPG

 

IMG_2678.JPG.d9d58e6b0028f2b05ad19eefaa103640.JPG

 

I think it turned out pretty ok. 

  • Like 22
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the encouragement!

 

i took a break for a while because I had to remind myself that I'm not still in the middle of the 7 day challenge. :lol:

I made some more progress though. 

 

This mold line was particularly gnarly. 

Before:

IMG_2679.thumb.JPG.36ab62d25416a101c4872d9d53309715.JPG

 

After: 

IMG_2683.thumb.JPG.c8fc4fc59e00fef19ef223ec92654534.JPG

 

And 4 of the heads (I'm leaving the yellow one alone so the greenstuff can fully cure so I don't create even more rework for myself) I started out with repairing with the 'Ardcoat and Brown Liner. 

IMG_2680.thumb.JPG.d53ceb6890474f740c83625dd68c9601.JPG

 

And here they are re-basecoated. 

IMG_2684.thumb.JPG.64797e23b49e9c65b6256b3be0c340fb.JPG

 

I mostly tried to preserve highlights wherever possible, but I knocked out most of the highlights on the orange head because he looked decent in pictures, but was patchy and streaky in person, so I don't mind doing a bit more rework on him. I also knocked out most of the highlights on the wine coloured head because I wasn't happy with how he'd turned out either. 

 

Next up im going to work on repairing the necks. 

 

 

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Continuing mold line repair. 

 

So this started like this:

IMG_2685.thumb.JPG.cc0c821317209621d1dc75074d44ecc5.JPG

 

Now it looks like this:

IMG_2691.thumb.JPG.4aacaede00c70311e299f9a17f1c878b.JPG

 

This part is really bad:

IMG_2686.thumb.JPG.47ec99a64cfcf0e1db057d8b3c403dd8.JPG

 

I carved some more away but it's a really awkward area:

IMG_2687.thumb.JPG.c5ff8bfbbd89c0ed988a81ae13bd3150.JPG

 

Now it looks like this:

IMG_2690.thumb.JPG.8d981b047b822fc7371cc4848e76a674.JPG

The Brown Linered parts will get metallic paint later. 

 

This neck started out like this:

IMG_2688.thumb.JPG.2c9ec9ef53125b22ba143b9b82debd03.JPGIMG_2689.thumb.JPG.45f73aa7ac2935f7dfd237e142f19f5b.JPG

 

And is now looking like this:

IMG_2692.thumb.JPG.ffbf892c634ec2e5903f69d89ef967e0.JPG

IMG_2693.thumb.JPG.3db978a0ada55354274e2d235856db81.JPG

 

 

All of these areas should look better once the highlighting's back in. That's my hope anyway. 

 

 

  • Like 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, robinh said:

that's a lot of mold lines that have disappeared!   I will have to bookmark this so I can find them when I do Mal

I would highly recommend spending as much time as you can stomach on the mold lines at the start, then Brown Liner and spend even more time on them. 

I'm not sure at this point what I purposefully skipped to save time and what I legitimately didn't see until after the paint was already down. 

 

I feel pretty good about where the scales are now on this head. Obviously I still need to do the spikes an mouth, but the scales are probably done. 

IMG_2694.thumb.JPG.a10488428d43f048225ebd11ce475ea5.JPG

IMG_2695.thumb.JPG.663add31e601b28af6edd5e56b92bfb6.JPG

IMG_2697.thumb.JPG.4bad4dbd8d3e090bdcbbfca6810f4360.JPG

 

I think the head and neck match up better now than they did before. 

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...