Hi - I'm New Here

Just wandered in a couple weeks ago thanks to the Bones Kickstarter and decided that this might be a good time to introduce myself.

I'm one of those people who used to be an avid gamer, until my real life took over all of my time.

Well, my real life took a hard turn, accompanied by the sort of aerial maneuvers that left WWI fighters as smoking holes in the ground, a little over 10 years ago.

So now, I find myself in the position of being Forcibly Retired due to injuries caused by an accident caused by a Drunk Driver.  I am healed up as well as the current state of the medical arts and sciences permit, but that still leaves me as a disabled old phart who gets around with a cane and some other "interesting" orthopedic  appliances.  My recovery period sort of renewed my interest in RPGs, but being mostly housebound unable to find local gamers [which is problematic anyway, living on the Mojave Desert] or actually do much of anything else.  Not complaining, just when life deals you a rough hand, you either play it or fold - and I have no intention of folding.

I've really enjoyed reading some of the threads from a couple of years ago with people talking about games in progress.  My fingers start getting twitchy to start rolling up new characters.

So who am I besides an old Grognard?

A nerd who spent 6 years of my "youth" turning wrenches and monitoring 'silly-scopes in the Navy helping keep a flying brick known as the F4j Fighter operational.  After getting out of the Navy I used my G.I.Bill to return to school and acquire a BS in Business from Cal Poly, Pomona - the place where I was introduced to this "new game" called Dungeons & Dragons by classmates in a Science Fiction Literature Class.

From the descriptions given, it sounded like it might be fun so a trip to Brookhurst Hobbies in Orange County soon found me in posession of a small white box containing three brownish colored books and a set of "weird" dice.  The original D&D books were really incomprehensible unless you had some previous experience with wargames [I didn't, just the full size naval version] or somebody to teach you how things worked, which fortunately I did have.

It wasn't long before we had a regular group with regular games, I ran a campaign on Friday Nites for a couple of years.  Everybody ran 'house rules' games then, our group mostly used the Warlock rules for Magic [Cal Tech rules] and a modified combat system based on SCA combat experience.  Having people who could actually explain in detail how a fight was happening was almost as good as live action with play by play commentary.

Fast Forward into the early 80s and life was starting to make demands on my time that saw 'recreational activities' severely curtailed.  Pac Man became a big hit and the video game craze presented an opportunity for my parents to start a small video game route with me doing all the heavy lifting and mechanical/electronic repairs.  That business expanded to the point where, with the addition of vending machines and juke boxes it provided a comfortable income well into the 90s, which also saw both of my parents pass away.  As the decade progressed, the inroads into coin-op from console games and then the introduction of the PC and then the Internet pretty well ended the opportunity for small business in the area we had been so I moved on to to other business ventures, mostly involved in transportation and logistics.

In the meantime, my involvement with the Fraternal Order of Odd Fellows saw me involved in a number of charitable and fraternal projects that led to me being asked to serve as a State Level Officer, where I met the lady who was to become my wife as she was the opposite number officer for the Rebekah's, the ladies portion of our order and the oldest continuously functioning womens organization in the nation].  Out courtship saw me wear out two Gold Wings and a Honda Civic as she lived in Northern California and I was still in the Southland.

Fast forward to 2006 and I am pulling High Cube Bulk Tankers for a regional company when I got nailed by a drunk driver on a cold and windy February Night on Hwy 99 just a little north f Bakersfield, Ca. [The hard left turn]  While securing the accident scene a Chevy Pickup came off the highway and nailed me [according to the CHP Report] doing about 60  mph [cue scene of WWI aircraft screwing themselves into the ground].  By some miracle I was punted about 100-130 feet down the road, but I don't remember much of that trip because my last conscious memory was of the world flaring white with pain and then shattering into red edged jagged fragments falling into a black background.

The next few weeks involved a lot of painkillers - bandages - and time with doctors and nurses.  My convalescence was long but mostly uneventful.

My advice to all is to carry as much uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance as your underwriter will sell you.  It's some of the cheapest insurance available for the amount of coverage, and if we had been carrying the max we probably wouldn't have lost our house.  Get AFFLAC if your employer offers it, mine didn't - until about 7 months after I was put out of commission.

So here I am, another casualty of the Drunk Drivers,  looking for a game, and hoping to have a few good conversations here.

If I've bent your ear too long, sorry.  You tend to do that when you have a long tale to tell.

Innkeeper - another round - and It's my turn to buy.

• Like 22

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As one veteran to another, 

Welcome to our Asylum away from home!

There are quite a few of us here, from all branches, and we all have a good time telling war /sea stories at times...

This is a very freindly prace, where trolls are on the endangered species list, and there is no limits on them....

Heck, there might even be a bounty!

Ask questions! people are more than happy to answer, or point you somewhere that you can find the answers...

When you see text in PURPLE, that is the color of sarcasm / teasing around here, so taking those things seriously is not....

We run a google hangout almost every night of the week, where folks hobby and talk, ask advice etc...

Current link:  https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/khndtjilfjc6xjbppspg353whie (Updated 4/4/17, Talespinner)

I am usually on from 8pm to 12am (est) most nights...

Feel free to post pics of finished works in the Show off area, Works In Progress (Wips) in that section, and come hangout in the off topic rampancy section...

People will offer constructive criticism if you want, and be encouraging and offer suggestions...

You will NEVER hear "This sux" or words to that effect around here! If anything, people are too nice!

So again, WELCOME, and remember the Cardinal Rule,

If you are having FUN

you are doing it RIGHT!

George

• Like 13

Reaper's forums are probably the friendliest you'll find. 

As an aside, games are much easier to find in these days of the internet.  Google Hangouts and Roll20 are good combinations, from what I hear.

And if you're thinking of getting back into RPGs, I'll suggest you do a search for Swords and Wizardry Lite.  Not only is it a free download, it's designed for those of us who were once gamers and then had life happen to us (although I'd say you had a little more life happen to you than most).  Simple rules, just enough to scratch the itch and make us remember all the fun that RPGs can be.

• Like 11

Hiiii! Welcome. Pull up a cushion, join the crazy.

While the trolls are not common, and tend to get run out screaming, the goblins are out in force. We don't bite ... um .. much. ^^;

*points to signature* Not a bad place for the finding of PbP games, where there aren't any looking for players here. I'd offer my virtual table, but I'm kinda full up on players right now.

• Like 7

Oh - WoW!

Thank you, one and all who have responded to my introductory ramblings.

Up two hours, and on a Saturday Nite, and already 5 warm and fuzzy responses.

Thanks for the tips, is there any place in particular I should be looking for the House Rules, and just as important, the local conventions on how things are done [like the purple prose lettering thingie]?

Also, as I'm a backer for the Bones IV Kickstarter [my wallet is still making whimpering noises {and I haven't told it yet that I intend to buy ~even more~ before next July}], where might I obtain one of those Backer/sponsor banners?

A hoist of the jack in salute to:  knarthex, Doug's Workshop, Citrine, Little Bluberry, and Sylverthorne for taking time to make me feel so welcome.

• Like 9

Welcome to the forums ^_^/ We have many salty old sailors and grizzled vets (some not so grizzled), so you will feel quite at home. Aside from the google hangouts, the Randomness thread in Off-Topic is where a lot of us post about what's going on in our lives, have random conversations, and rant/vent about Stuff. Do not be intimidated by its size, keeping up isn't nessasary, and often times doesn't even help make sense of the randomness. 

You'll find board rules here:

I encourage you to read them at least once. I think one of the most important (and the one that everyone runs into at least once) is the no commerce rule. 

Other than that, have fun hobbying!

• Like 5

You sound pretty sane... what're you doing here? ;-)

As far as I know there's only three hard rules here;

1. Post pictures!

2. Have fun.

3. Never feed Buglips old Master Series paints...

Oh, and there's som silly tradition to use purple to indicate jokes...  

• Like 7

Welcome, and thanks for the introduction!  I hope you'll find this place useful and entertaining.

Board rules are here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/63672-board-rules/

There isn't really a set down place of forum culture, but you can ask anything you like.  I see you've already been alerted about purple text.

As you may have gathered, this place has an active international membership and a vastly higher proportion of women members than is normal for a gaming-related site (owing to the welcoming nature and the civil level of discourse around here, I suspect).

As for introductions, I've been a gamer since the Carter administration, my husband learned D&D about the same time you did judging by the tattered remnants of his first set, and I've got a degree in the arts and a certain amount of paint-related technical know-how.

• Like 9

You'll find that this place is like a living encyclopedia - there are folks here who are knowledgeable (sometimes even professionally) on everything from medicine to photography to farming to art to geology and chemistry, and well-versed in a number of different periods of history. Off the top of my head, I can recall people here who are technical writers, professional photographers, doctors, IT and computer technicians... I'm sure there are some other interesting occupations I'm forgetting.

One of the best things about this forum (and Reaper Miniatures in general) is that Reaper is all about promoting the hobby and everything relating to it, regardless of whether or not they're involved with it. Reaper is close with a great number of other folks/companies in the industry, is happy to cross-promote their products, and representatives from those companies sometimes even post here - in fact, a fair number of the more well-known sculptors in the business have accounts here and post with varying frequency.

So feel free to talk about and show off your old miniatures from Ral Partha or Grenadier, or post pics of your Warhammer armies. There are sections of the forums here that cover all aspects of the hobby, and the Off-Topic forum covers everything else, whether gaming-related or not. Mostly cats, and coffee, but sometimes they talk about other stuff too, lol.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

You sound pretty sane... what're you doing here? ;-)

As far as I know there's only three hard rules here;

1. Post pictures!

2. Have fun.

3. Never feed Buglips old Master Series paints...

Oh, and there's som silly tradition to use purple to indicate jokes...  

Don't let my carefully proofread and edited first post fool you.

Within this calm and Santa Claus like exterior lurks the mind of a crazy person - but crazy in a nice way, if you get my drift.

1.  Don't have very many pics to post - yet.*

2.  I intend to.

3.  There has got to be a long and entertaining story here.  Actually, Buglips is safe as I don't have any Master Series Paints, old or otherwise.  I do have some Floquil and Flo-paque paints that are well beyond their intended use by date...........

*Will this do for starters?

That's what I looked like before my unwanted adventure in Drunk Drivers land.  Add about 11 years, some small scars and road rash and you're up to date.

Ed in truck-000.jpg

• Like 14