Sign in to follow this  
jonaas33

Kavorgh, Orc Warboss

Painted this guy up for an upcoming campaign.  The party should get terrified by a large group of orcs and trolls.  If they do any scouting they will be able to discover that the whole group is blind, but still pretty effective a fight.  The real trick will be if they do enough exploring during the adventure, they'll actually come across a powerful devil that is bargaining for major power, for the minor cost of one of their senses.  The eye marking on the shield signifies the cost of sight.  The party will be able to barter their senses, or fight the devil.

The fig originally had a bunch of gloves and spikes coming out of the shield that I wasn't a huge fan of, so I snipped them off with a nail clipper.  If I could do it over, I would have used something to smooth it out a little more before I started painting.  I'm also not overly pleased with the gold colored boots, so I may go over them some day with a different paint.  Overall, pretty pleased with how it turned out though.  Of course, I appreciate any critiques and advice!  Thanks!

20171001_200557.jpg

20171001_200635.jpg

20171001_200648.jpg

20171001_200702.jpg

• Like 19

Good one. I agree with glitterwolf, eyes need some more love. Either a black dot on white or (my own preference) two white dots on black (almond shaped) eye. 

• Like 1

I would have the eyes a pale yellow-brown highlighted in white (yellow orche mixed with lots of white, and highlighted with white), they white they currently have is to bright. The theme is nice.

I like how you did the skin. Thought the red needs deeper shadows (a purple-ish or green-ish shadow would be nice) or maybe a highlight with some orange. Thought that may be due to my phylosophy of if you make the miniature black and white, the shadows should aproach black while the highlights should be near white (depending on position in relation to light source).

• Like 1

Thanks DragonWyrm.  I bought some bone colored paint soon after I finished this guy, so I think would look better as the eyes.  I'll do that when I get the chance. 

The orange highlights would look really sharp, I will definitely be adding that as well. I very much appreciate the advice!

5 hours ago, jonaas33 said:

Thanks DragonWyrm.  I bought some bone colored paint soon after I finished this guy, so I think would look better as the eyes.  I'll do that when I get the chance. 

The orange highlights would look really sharp, I will definitely be adding that as well. I very much appreciate the advice!

If you want to be quick and dirty about it just add some quick shade or a light brown wash to the eyes to "tone them down" a bit.  Just around the edges though try to avoid getting it in the center of the eyes.  The white is not the problem it just that it's too big and distracts from the rest of the work you have done.  i don't want to be negative or anything but it looks sloppy next to the rest of the work you have done on the model.  But to be fair that's looking at the model up close.  if you put it on the table and you are looking at it from 2 or 3 ft away I bet it looks just fine.

• Like 2

Thanks Logos, I appreciate that critique!  The eyes are always the last thing that I do, and at that point I'm usually pretty burnt out, and I've noticed that it's usually the worst part of all of my paint jobs.  I think I should start taking a break before I finish that part up! 

I saw a thread here earlier about eye painting that was pretty neat, but I haven't applied anything from it yet.  Any other advice for painting eyes? They are for gaming, so they don't need to be perfect, but you are right: a sloppy job can be distracting!

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Do the eyes first1!!! That way if you stuff up (which you will, since they are eyes) you will be able to fix them easily. 

On some scales it may look better to leave the eyes unpainted, instead giving a dark flesh wash in the location.

If you don't want to go into too much detail you can just make a upwards line of the eye colour in the centre of the eye.

For more detailed instruction ctrl+f "eye" in:

1. In this case first means: before you do the skin of the face.

• Like 1

Good work.

Perhaps a light wash on the boots to tone them down a little bit and make them look 'dirty'? Or are you just unhappy with the color choice itself?

• Like 1

Thanks DragonWyrm, I will definitely be starting with the eyes from here on out, and I'll for sure check out that directory!

And thanks Chaoswolf!  I don't really like the actual color for the boots.  I think the gold looks cool as the bracer, and I love it as the chainmail with the red cloth near it, but I think it ended up as gold overkill on the boots.  I just bought some of the Citadel "Leadbelcher", and I think I might give it a test run on this guy.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2017 at 3:08 PM, jonaas33 said:

Thanks Logos, I appreciate that critique!  The eyes are always the last thing that I do, and at that point I'm usually pretty burnt out, and I've noticed that it's usually the worst part of all of my paint jobs.  I think I should start taking a break before I finish that part up! 

I saw a thread here earlier about eye painting that was pretty neat, but I haven't applied anything from it yet.  Any other advice for painting eyes? They are for gaming, so they don't need to be perfect, but you are right: a sloppy job can be distracting!

Thanks again!

Yeah check out that totorial (below).  I am trying to follow it now and it is very helpful.

http://www.reapermini.com/thecraft/12

That being said just try adding a light brown or flesh wash around the eyes you have already done.  It should tone the eyes back down a bit and add some detail back that probably exists in the model around the eye sockets.  That is what I have been doing until lately and it gives great results...unless you are holding it a foot in-front of your face and then not so much. lol.

On this model since the whites are so big try attempting putting a small black dot in each eye (center more towards the nose to prevent him from looking cross eyed).  I was attempting to do this with fine citadel brushes and it was very frustrating.  I finally picked up some Windsor Newton sable brushes (0 and 1s) and it is unbelievable how much even the larger brushes in this range make in doing fine detail work.  They are around $20 Cdn a piece but it is night and day how much better they are.  They hold paint better, the points don't deform so quickly and even the larger fine brushes have very tight points.  If you can afford it look into getting one.  As long as you take care of it (don't overload with paint, keep it clean and store point down cause you kept the plastic protector for the brush head!...right?) they last a really long time so it is a good investment.

11 minutes ago, Logos said:

..snip...

I finally picked up some Windsor Newton sable brushes (0 and 1s) and it is unbelievable how much even the larger brushes in this range make in doing fine detail work.  They are around $20 Cdn a piece but it is night and day how much better they are.  They hold paint better, the points don't deform so quickly and even the larger fine brushes have very tight points.  If you can afford it look into getting one.  As long as you take care of it (don't overload with paint, keep it clean and store point down cause you kept the plastic protector for the brush head!...right?) they last a really long time so it is a good investment.

Just to note, there have been many concerns about the consistent quality of Winsor Newton Series 7 brushes.  I definitely got a bad one lately and several other members have noted the same.  The good ones appear to be very good as noted, but there are definitely some poor ones.    I ordered some Rosemary & Co Series 33 brushes and they are amazing, much better than the WN series 7 I had received and acts like other people describe their good WN 7.