strawhat

[SPLIT] Discussion of dark paints

On 9/29/2017 at 9:30 AM, Cyradis said:

And then there will be the October goodies coming up... I think I'll be ordering a boatload of paints. Are there colors that people will scream "YOU MUST HAVE THIS ONE?" that I need to add? Was going for some more skin tones, browns (khakis and redstones), and some purples this time unless steered elsewhere. 

I've really found a lot of use for the Redstone triad...oddly enough never as stone.  It works well for Jedi robes and makes for a nice red "leather" (I start with a base of Muddy Soil and then follow with Redstone Shadow and Redstone.  I find that the Terran Khaki triad finds its way into a lot of what I'm doing as well.

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, Cyradis said:

That reminds me, I need to add an extra Sophie & Friends to my pledge, because Sir Cyr really wants those, and I really want those, so we need to duplicate. Might just double check with him if there are others that both of us super duper want. 

And then there will be the October goodies coming up... I think I'll be ordering a boatload of paints. Are there colors that people will scream "YOU MUST HAVE THIS ONE?" that I need to add? Was going for some more skin tones, browns (khakis and redstones), and some purples this time unless steered elsewhere. 

There have been a few threads about "must have" colors. Here is a recent one:

• Like 5

You are very dedicated in dragging that one up on my behalf. :P A few that I have picked up since that thread have been from there (like walnut brown). 

• Like 6

On 9/29/2017 at 11:11 PM, Citrine said:

Nightmare Black is ones of my favorite paint colors.

Im almost empty on my second bottle... I've never finished a whole bottle of a color before let alone two bottles. LOVE nightmare black!!!

• Like 8

Ok ok! It goes on the list! 

I should plan out my colors for the core set Sophie. Because... I must. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, moose_shepard said:

Nightmare Black is a very dark blue, correct? Do you typically use it in place of black or for shading blues?

Yes?

If I need a cool black, it's a good choice. If I need a really dark shading color for a dark blue, it's a good choice for that, too.

TL;DR: Why not both?

::D:

• Like 6

Just wondering why the people who said they use it all the time use it all the time. A friend brought over a bottle of it for awhile, but I never used it because it didn't seem black enough to be black to me (unlike Pure Black or Noir Black) and I didn't happen to be painting dark blue during that time. I was especially curious how Bathory went through two bottles of Nightmare Black before even finishing off a bottle of Pure Black or Pure White. I was thinking maybe she uses it instead of Pure Black, in which case, maybe my initial assessment that it's not black enough to be used as black was wrong.

But now I'm rambling. :)

• Like 4

nightmare black is my favorite thing to use for Stone, SNow, White Dragons, blue Dragons, Silver dragons, etc

there are times where a dark blue is so much more useful than straight, pure black

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

nightmare black is my favorite thing to use for Stone, SNow, White Dragons, blue Dragons, Silver dragons, etc

there are times where a dark blue is so much more useful than straight, pure black

Snow?  Like an undercoat for it?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Snow?  Like an undercoat for it?

it's great to get deep shadows for snow or ice creatures

This guy uses nightmare black as his base, and for his deepest shadows.

DSC03562.thumb.JPG.b402d4886501a8d4008122b03da29ff7.JPG

• Like 11

Okay, I'm sold. My darkest blue paints are currently Deep Blue and Ritterlich Blue, so it will be useful to have something darker.

I still want to know how Bathory uses it, that it was the first color she ever finished. Besides Pure Black and Pure White, I've finished a few bottles of gray and brown paints, but I don't think I'm even close to finishing off any other colors.

• Like 2