Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This is from a collection of STL's I purchased through some Humble Bundle deal that popped up for $20. I couldn't resist the deal of like 38 minis for such a decent price that looked high quality. Only problem - I didn't have a printer. I ended up linking up with one who I found on Insta and wow - the dude is great to work with. I have a lot more of this frog theme to paint and I'm stoked if they all come out like this.
This is now my FAVORITE painted mini. I'll need to base him, but I need to do something really special for him. Any thoughts?
* Taking my time to layer up was the biggest test of patience, but what a payoff! The skin combo was VGC Goblin Skin and layered up with VGC Khaki and a little Buff added in. Looks like...well frog skin.
* The eyes I saved for last, but they have a slight cheat to them in that they have little spots where the pupils are. I didn't want to just lay white down and then dot the eye. Instead I used an offwhite and highlighted bright white around the edges and then dotted it. They have a great look.
* The backpack area has a lot of little details! I managed to pull off a distressing to the leather backpack that I'm super happy with. I did a fun color combo on the leather straps across the top with an orange/brown combo. Finally, the barrel at the bottom has a 4 color touch to it. I think using a little black was a bit too much, but overall it looks like a believable wood barrel.
* I went a bit heavy with the metal colors, but it all seemed to tie in well. I questioned making his medallion a copper color, but after looking at it, all of the magical items (except the scroll) seem to have a tie-in with Copper. It came out looking good.
* Not using washes as much and trying to darken the lines with ink or careful placement of deeper base colors worked really well.
* Getting the hang of my airbrush and priming. Not a fan of all the cleanup with an airbrush, but I certainly love the even paint it lays down, the fact I'm not wasting paint cans, and the amount of paint needed is minimal.
* If you look at his left eye (his actual left) it has a weird little spec in the middle of the eye ball. I somehow in layering ended up pulling the paint by adding another layer too soon and it left a divit. Had to do some careful painting over it, but it's still there - darn it!
* This guy took WAY more time than I'd like it to have. I think it's about 3 hours. Now, the outcome is great, but I think a bit of it was looking for my next color as I didn't plan the scheme ahead.
* Interesting how many layers it took for me to get an even coating on over the Badger primer. Where the white DR ink was, it grabbed the paint better, but I wasn't too happy with how many coats it took. 3 in most cases. 5 in others.
* The skin took a good deal of time to hit and I wasn't sure how to use the airbrush to do that, so I only primed, but would have liked to have green skinned him first.
The wins FAR outweigh the misses this time. I usually don't get to the end and smile at my work, but this little fella was not only fun to paint, but really enjoyable to look at after and just feel happy. Lots of work, but the outcome speaks for itself.
By Chris Palmer
Back in November I posted over on the Conversion WIP sub-forum about a mounted figure I was making using the Bones 4 Giant Rhinoceros Beetle and the Mudcroak Squog figure: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/93699-frog-riding-beetle-conversion/
This past week I finally got around to painting the converted figure, and I wanted to share the results.
By Chris Palmer
Back when the Bones 4 Kickstarter was running, when the Giant Rhinoceros Beetle was revealed in the Fan Favorites set, someone posted this photo of a Frog riding a Beetle to the Enthusiasm Thread, and I knew it was a conversion I would eventually want to try. I have an extensive Frog Army, and I wanted such a figure to be a Leader or Hero for my forces.
I had the pieces I needed at hand; the Bones Black "Giant Rhinoceros Beetle", and my rider - for which i had decided to use the Bones "Mudcroak" Squog figure.
As I looked at Mudcroak, I knew I would have to separate him from his base, but I knew there was no way I could remove all those little toes from the base without damaging them. So, right off the bat I made the decision to just remove his feet along with the base, with the plan that I would then resculpted them with greenstuff directly onto the beetle's back once I had the frog glued in place.
Here's a test fit, with the frog held in place with blue-tac.
That's all for right now.
Just a water frog peddling his water crop. Agents of M.E.O.W. beware!
anyways, this mini just makes me smile. Makes me think of a grippli from an old campaign. I cant help but imagine that after saving the world, the tired frog put down roots and started peddling trinkets and goodies to the good people of the swamp. I do like the way this came out, its simple but even the base just seemed to work. hope you enjoy him too.
Who's Online 16 Members, 1 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)