Sign in to follow this  
Cranky Dog

JAPAN, here I come! (I'm BAAAACK!)

In just a few hours, I'll be flying out to meet up with my mother, and then come Sunday morning, we'll be spending 18 days in Japan!

Ergo, my presence on the board will be sparse, and I'm missing ReaperCon.

With the travel group, we'll be going to Tokyo, and then go south. With stops at Mt.Fuji, Nagano, Osaka, Kyoto, Nagasaki, Kobe, Hiroshima, and several other places.

I plane on bringing back oodles of uniquely Japanese souvenirs. I'm particularly curious about their 200 flavors of Kit Kat bars. If I can find myself a nice nakiri vegetable knife, I'll be happy.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 19

Have fun, good luck, and don't get lost in any haunted forests.

Remember, not all kit kat flavors are created equal. Some are better than they seem at first glance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

I'm particularly curious about their 200 flavors of Kit Kat bars.

I saw about a dozen of the Japanese Kit-Kat at the Japan pavilion at Epcot this summer.  The only one I remember is green tea. 

• Like 2

Have fun! And remember, if you’re going by bus, and they make road stops, the snacks and gifts you see inside might be the only place you see them. So, I’ll give you Pegazus’s First Rule of Japanese Souvenir Shopping:

You see something you might like? BUY IT NOW! No! Do NOT debate about it. Purchase it now. You may never see it again.

I still regret missing out on the little alien worker toys from my first visit. So sad.

Bonus? Okay. Pegazus’s Second Rule of Japanese Souvenir Shopping:

Keep as many 100 yen coins in your pocket as you can stand. The toy vending machines are gold mines of weird and fun figures. And see the First Rule if you have any doubts.

And if you get free time in Akihabara and want to, there’s a tiny little miniature figure store in a back alley. Miniature Park. Close to the McDonalds; maybe directly behind it.

Edited by Pegazus
  • Like 11

23 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

In just a few hours, I'll be flying out to meet up with my mother, and then come Sunday morning, we'll be spending 18 days in Japan!

With the travel group, we'll going to Tokyo, and then go south. With stops at Mt.Fuji, Nagano, Osaka, Kyoto, Nagasaki, Kobe, Hiroshima, and several other places.

I plane on bringing back oodles of uniquely Japanese souvenirs. I'm particularly curious about their 200 flavors of Kit Kat bars. If I can find myself a nice nakiri vegetable knife, I'll be happy.

Oooh ooh! Pick up a hunk of lava rock... just because. Put it in checked bags. TSA doesn't like strange dense objects in carry-ons. :poke:

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Oooh ooh! Pick up a hunk of lava rock... just because. Put it in checked bags. TSA doesn't like strange dense objects in carry-ons. :poke:

So Mt. Fuji doesn't object the way Pele does? Did not know that.

• Like 1

Just now, NebulousMissy said:

So Mt. Fuji doesn't object the way Pele does? Did not know that.

Not to my knowledge. Pele hasn't yet cursed me for taking a rock from Hawaii; I kept my promise when I took the rock. :poke:

• Like 2

Tanoshinde!

Tanoshinde! 

(I had to look that up)

Tanoshinde! 
Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

With the travel group, we'll going to Tokyo, and then go south. With stops at Mt.Fuji, Nagano, Osaka, Kyoto, Nagasaki, Kobe, Hiroshima, and several other places.

Have fun, make lots of happy memories [especially with  your mother], and if you are into interesting wines check out Akadama.  It's a pleasant plum flavored wine and has been a favorite in Japan and among Americans who have spent time in Japan for many decades.

GEM

• Like 1

Have a great time! 
If you go to see the great Buddha statue in Kamakura (which is a common tourist stop near Tokyo), look around and ask around for a miniature shop in the town of Kamakura. I haven't been there yet, but I have heard about it, and it sounds awesome. It's not figures like Reaper, but just tiny stuff. I will definitely go next time I'm in Japan.

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp.e.ck.hp.transer.com/travel/entry/bwFC3/25800/

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this