Scratchbuilt sci fi astronaut for Reapercon

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, that's fantastic!  I love the retro-sci-fi thing, this is some great stuff!

I kind of liked the olive-drab and beige color scheme on that navy suit, but then I saw the colors you chose instead, and I have to agree:  the colors you went with are the perfect choice!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words!

I've been experimenting with some different palettes for the olive green sections (at this point I'm thinking this will be the belt and harness, the quilted bib, the main body of the backpack, and possibly the gloves).  Right now this is what I've got lined up.

IMG_8972.thumb.JPG.1a4b756a622b4760cf90b2ccbc181955.JPG

I'm toying with the idea though of substituting the Moldy Skin with Golden Blonde.  I'm not convinced that the values are quite right (it's still fairly close in that respect to the Olive Green), but my gut instinct is that highlighting the green with it will really make it pop, as well as matching the warmer tones of the flight suit.  What say you all?

IMG_8973.thumb.JPG.fca4e8c2dcbec677f2a197970dbbccc7.JPG

• Like 3

Taking a moment out to work on the base. I picked out four colors, again keeping the with the same shadow color to try and keep the overall palette unified with the rest of the figure.

IMG_8974.thumb.JPG.ff83d1a0f1977c3132dc9a9e006024c7.JPG

The base is pretty quick and dirty right now, but I really don't plan on putting that much into it, all I want is for it to set off the figure, not distract from it.  I felt a red-ish planet surface would do the job fairly well, especially given the retro sci-fi feel of the piece (it seems to have been kind of the default color for alien planets back in the day).IMG_8979.thumb.JPG.1f9f61d03a058ff58412649402d1e3a4.JPGIMG_8980.thumb.JPG.27b946097d5889d869ab30327d07b97d.JPG

• Like 8

I was still a little unsure about the secondary palette I picked for the harness and gear, so I started looking at "orange space suits" online to see what else might work.  Low and behold, I came across images of these suits from the early space shuttle missions, which basically use the kind same color palette I had originally planned (apparently this is the S-1030 full-pressure suit, used on the SR-71 as well at least the sub-orbital space shuttle missions, as with these gentlemen from STS-3).  I dunno, but I think it kind of works.  What say you all?

59d84c864bd2e_sts-3withorangeandODspacesuitpossiblematerialforReapercon17figure.thumb.JPG.cdd085c9eabf73c0d4c8f6caad8f6a05.JPG

• Like 3