Sign in to follow this  
Ironhammer

Scratchbuilt sci fi astronaut for Reapercon

Oh, that's fantastic!  I love the retro-sci-fi thing, this is some great stuff!

I kind of liked the olive-drab and beige color scheme on that navy suit, but then I saw the colors you chose instead, and I have to agree:  the colors you went with are the perfect choice!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words!

I've been experimenting with some different palettes for the olive green sections (at this point I'm thinking this will be the belt and harness, the quilted bib, the main body of the backpack, and possibly the gloves).  Right now this is what I've got lined up.

IMG_8972.thumb.JPG.1a4b756a622b4760cf90b2ccbc181955.JPG

I'm toying with the idea though of substituting the Moldy Skin with Golden Blonde.  I'm not convinced that the values are quite right (it's still fairly close in that respect to the Olive Green), but my gut instinct is that highlighting the green with it will really make it pop, as well as matching the warmer tones of the flight suit.  What say you all?

IMG_8973.thumb.JPG.fca4e8c2dcbec677f2a197970dbbccc7.JPG

• Like 3

Taking a moment out to work on the base. I picked out four colors, again keeping the with the same shadow color to try and keep the overall palette unified with the rest of the figure.

IMG_8974.thumb.JPG.ff83d1a0f1977c3132dc9a9e006024c7.JPG

The base is pretty quick and dirty right now, but I really don't plan on putting that much into it, all I want is for it to set off the figure, not distract from it.  I felt a red-ish planet surface would do the job fairly well, especially given the retro sci-fi feel of the piece (it seems to have been kind of the default color for alien planets back in the day).IMG_8979.thumb.JPG.1f9f61d03a058ff58412649402d1e3a4.JPGIMG_8980.thumb.JPG.27b946097d5889d869ab30327d07b97d.JPG

• Like 8

I was still a little unsure about the secondary palette I picked for the harness and gear, so I started looking at "orange space suits" online to see what else might work.  Low and behold, I came across images of these suits from the early space shuttle missions, which basically use the kind same color palette I had originally planned (apparently this is the S-1030 full-pressure suit, used on the SR-71 as well at least the sub-orbital space shuttle missions, as with these gentlemen from STS-3).  I dunno, but I think it kind of works.  What say you all?

59d84c864bd2e_sts-3withorangeandODspacesuitpossiblematerialforReapercon17figure.thumb.JPG.cdd085c9eabf73c0d4c8f6caad8f6a05.JPG

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

This guy can usurp leadership of my Star Empire any day.

That sounded way better in my head.

Umm... :wacko:

• Like 2

Thanks again for all the kind words!  Moving on with the accent color, I think its turned out rather well after all (even under the dubious lens of my impoverished photography skills).

IMG_8987.thumb.JPG.60f51036d3192e1947cc1e3ffdaad5f3.JPGIMG_8992.thumb.JPG.3c6f33264b0de72f68ba4a119e83076a.JPGIMG_8994.thumb.JPG.7ad26e535ccd1ed0a274d63e2de441ea.JPGIMG_8996.thumb.JPG.d7692c4ca438dcdc0dd08cd5ca41f509.JPG

• Like 9

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Standifer
      If any of you have looked at the Hero forge interesting creature builds you may recall me posting some pictures of a squad of commandos called Crusader squad. Let’s just say I succumbed to the temptation to get the stls for my printer.
      Currently I only have four printed off. I’ll do the rest when I get them supported. 

Bombedier

Shadow, I didn’t get his arms supported right so I’ll try to do some repairs to them. If it works I don’t think I’ll print a replacement.

Thunderhead

Max Monova. I really didn’t like his original stance so I redid it and gave him two pistols instead of a pistol and gauntlet blade.

Primer

Added some black green and some blue to Monova’s pauldron.
      Thanks for looking!
    • By SamuraiJack
      If you are still waiting on your exchange mini, look at your own risk..sadly my photo skills are lacking in catching all the contrast he has.. 

• By HolkDiggity
      This one was for a facebook competition about color. The rules were, basically, don't worry about anything else but color. Do something different with color. I started with the idea of a dress palette of blue, teal, purple, and magenta. Once I had those colors in place, it was a matter of incorporating them in different areas of the model. I went with cotton candy roses and a galaxy print on the wings. The galaxy was a matter of stippling the dress colors (plus a bit of white) back and forth until the effect was convincing. Then I masked the body of the model and flicked a stiff brush at the wings to make star patterns. I then went back to the dress colors and stippling to blend them in a bit. This was a blast to paint, because I've never really done anything like this before.

• By Thrym
      Wire Tree
      Scratch Built

The Twist

One Friday evening as we played Batman: Talisman I twisted a tree to life.  Formed from 13 strands of wire of approximately 12-inches in length, the tree takes shape by folding them in half and twisting the loop created into the trunk of the tree.  The loop created is cut into the roots and the longer tendrils are twisted into limbs and branches to form the crown of the tree.

As you can see in the picture, I used one of my Armstrong sample tiles to make a base for the roots and glued it in place with some Loctite Gel Glue.  The idea is to form irregular surfaces to cover and create the illusion of a real trunk, roots and limbs.  The crown will kind of solve itself when the canopy is applied later.

The Ground and Bark

Once you have a "skeleton" for the tree, it's time to add the skin.  To do this there are a number of ways.  You can use liquid latex.  You can apply green putty or green stuff.  I chose to do the super glue and baking soda method.  You've probably seen my work with this insta-cure method before on Frulla Krung and other Frost Giants.

I use super thin, insta-cure cyanoacrylate (super glue) that allows it to run well over the wires and base and then coat that with the baking soda. The squeeze bottle, shown in the background, allows me to apply it as a wind blown sediment or just to dust it over the glue. The opposite can be done where you make a pile of baking soda or fill the crevice you want covered and apply the super glue carefully so you don't get an impact crater.  Of course, maybe you want impact craters.

As you can see above, the effect is quite "chilling."  Be careful of fumes.  It's still super glue.  And super-thin super glue runs everywhere so I suggest putting down something you don't care about.  I use box lids.

The Crown

Once you have the coating applied to your liking, it's time to finalize the branches and make the crown.  Here's where random is your friend.  Twist the strands into limbs and then twist off the limbs into branches.  You can create burls and broken limb ends by adding sharp turns with your pliers.  In this case, I left the crown relatively open.  It's a small, young tree after all.

You can see another much older tree in the works behind it below.

Our specimen is primed as well.  I added curlicues at the ends of the branches to eat some excess wire and for extra hook points for the canopy. 

The Canopy

The next step after this is to paint the trunk.  I used a pair of FolkArt Pickling Washes to achieve this.  The first was a dark gray, FolkArt Stormy Sky.  To add body to the paint in order to help fill some of the wire gaps, I mixed in some Liquitex Matte Medium.  Once the basecoat was applied.  I drybrushed the trunk, roots and limbs with FolkArt Cottage White Pickling Wash mixed with some of the Stormy Sky mixture.  This gave me a nice light ashen color to the bark.

The canopy is made from Woodland Scenics Tree Canopy Green and Yellow mixed with essentially some static grass I got off of Wish.  I mixed them into my Hamilton Beech Grinder and ground them down further.  You'll prolly have noted that there are some wires visibly still.  This has been noted.  I ran out of mixed canopy.  I will be making another batch shortly to finish it.  I used a spritz bottle of glue from Dollar Tree to apply the canopy.  It worked really well.  Once it was set, I used my favorite finish coat to solidify the canopy, Testors Dullcote. 

What's Left

That's where it's at as of now.  As to next, I will be doing a wash of the canopy to add shading to the tree.  That will carry down the trunk and roots.  Then I will apply an umber paint to the ground and a mixture of cork and bark, ground down in my grinder, over that.

Stay tuned, Stay Well and Enjoy
    • By knarthex
      So at Reapercon 2018, I scored the Duskwarden poster of Thregan Helmsplitter for my work at the auction, and of course, being the Duskwarden*, I have a couple of the minis as well.

So I was thinking of using him as my next PC, but as I have hair, I wanted my mini to also...
      While working on another project with GS, as usual, I made to much, and decided to bite the bullet and do his hair...
      What do you think?

Comments appreciated!

George

Doesn't Jacob Knochengard look like me???
  • Who's Online   18 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)