Sign in to follow this  
Ironhammer

Scratchbuilt sci fi astronaut for Reapercon

Slowly the yellowish goo swallows the unwilling astronaut. Every frame it moves further up his boots. Soon it will reach his suit.

Good job on the colours and sculpting. 

• Like 2

That colour scheme is working out great, and I think it will work against that bleak, reddish alien landscape you're cooking up, too!

I know the face and hair colouring are still a work in progress, but for some reason, I kind of like the way they're looking, too... the face and hair need a little shading and so on, of course, but the very light hair colour has a sort of unnatural Doc Savage or Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon quality to it that I kind of like....

The gun seems to be begging for a primarily metallic paint scheme - google searches for "1940s toy ray gun", "antique rocket ship", and "antique power drill" seem to bring up exactly the sort of thing I keep picturing: red and gold, chrome and blue, metallic sea greens and sky blues on black....  (I bet there's enough lead involved in those old toy paints to poison the moon men long before any heat ray would ever hurt them!)

Edited by YronimosW
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, YronimosW said:

That colour scheme is working out great, and I think it will work against that bleak, reddish alien landscape you're cooking up, too!

I know the face and hair colouring are still a work in progress, but for some reason, I kind of like the way they're looking, too... the face and hair need a little shading and so on, of course, but the very light hair colour has a sort of unnatural Doc Savage or Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon quality to it that I kind of like....

The gun seems to be begging for a primarily metallic paint scheme - google searches for "1940s toy ray gun", "antique rocket ship", and "antique power drill" seem to bring up exactly the sort of thing I keep picturing: red and gold, chrome and blue, metallic sea greens and sky blues on black....  (I bet there's enough lead involved in those old toy paints to poison the moon men long before any heat ray would ever hurt them!)

Thanks for the kind words!  Right now all I've got on the face is the primer coat.  I've been debating what kind of colors to use on the hair and the gun, and I was seriously considering both blonde hair and a silver gun just as you suggested.  However, I'm thinking I'm probably going to wind up going black for both the hair and the gun.  The gun itself was heavily drawn from the laser pistols seen on the 1st season of Lost in Space, which were mostly black colored.  Likewise, jet black hair seems to fit fairly well as an alternative to blonde while still fitting a stereotypical look for a pulp sci-fi theme.

More specifically though, I'm thinking black will better compliment the overall color palette.  I still have to come up with something for the boots and backpack nozzles, and doing those in the same color as the gun and the hair will help unify the overall look of the figure.  The way I've done the orange and the green they've turned out fairly light and muted overall, so I'm thinking a strong, dark color like black would counter balance this and make the figure "pop" a bit more.  Using black might also harmonize with the orange and green in other ways as well.  If you look at this color wheel I've got below, a triad with orange and green puts the third color somewhere in the dark blue/deep violet range.

59dbfef3d04de_colortriadwithorangegreenandpurple.gif.3a77dc5e90239c2863629dad57f57ad7.gif

Alternatively, if you look at the next color wheel showing a Split Complementary scheme.  Using the light orange and light green colors for the split (which are fairly close to the colors I'm actually using) will put their opposite squarely in the dark violet. 

59dc009fa3a2b_SplitComplementarycolorswithorangmagentaandgreen.gif.987838e700580a349f2c15dc915c75de.gif

Finally, if I consider that I'll have a reddish colored base, then what I've got is a square color scheme with red, orange, green and blue at each of the vertices, just like below.59dc01bf9e772_Squarecolorharmony.gif.04fb4717f0bd060bd4bb3569faf971ed.gif

In all three interpretations, the missing color would be something in the dark blue/dark purple range.  My theory is that if I highlight the black with blue (as was done on the this practice piece I did in a class at Reapercon last year) the overall effect combined with the dark purple shadows I been using thus far will kind of fit the dark blue/violet slot on the color wheel, which will sort of/kind approximate all three of the formats I've been looking at. 

IMG_8997.thumb.JPG.afc18ff2acfe12e9fb81dc449caeacf5.JPG

• Like 4

Before going on to finish up with painting the black parts, I decided to take time out to go ahead and paint the face...and paint the face...and paint the face again.  I must confess, this face proved one the most difficult and frustrating I've ever tried to paint (or photograph for that matter), which I suspect is due in no small measure to all the various anatomical transgressions I committed when sculpting the thing.  As it is, on the third try I managed to get it to a place where I'm more or less satisfied with it.

IMG_9022.thumb.JPG.f0093e3bb291bba5d922bdd854b22a29.JPG

Meanwhile, test fitting the nearly finished figure on the base I'm beginning to question the wisdom of including the helmet at all.  It seems a shame after having gone to the trouble to sculpt it, but putting everything together this close to completion I'm really of the mind that it will simply be too much of a distraction from the central figure itself.  The whole thing just seems to have more visual impact with just the figure alone.  I took a series of photos with the (still unpainted) helmet set in various resting places, and one without it.  Let me know what you think!

IMG_9012.thumb.JPG.dbc304e0e2c1fc92e33b86f514f5c527.JPGIMG_9017.thumb.JPG.031eab21c4b2c12cb494cac4d6a4b468.JPGIMG_9019.thumb.JPG.ce68c79af54617c5a0a6e4cfc5112684.JPGIMG_9014.thumb.JPG.f3a8d4fd98e660b8f60429f54393ffb9.JPG

• Like 11

And with that, I think I'm calling him done.  I still need to go back and properly photograph him under (hopefully) better conditions, but the work itself is ready as it'll ever be.  Thanks for all the feedback and kind comments, this has been a fun project!

IMG_9024.thumb.JPG.ed3ad84ea05c5fa20d5ac9eaf49da5b7.JPGIMG_9026.thumb.JPG.4fb741394fded6526eb8c7308baff4e5.JPG

• Like 8

Really great!  Your sculpting skills are amazing!

I thought your color wheel explanation was also pretty interesting, I have been wanting to look into color theory more but it seems quite daunting! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Really great!  Your sculpting skills are amazing!

I thought your color wheel explanation was also pretty interesting, I have been wanting to look into color theory more but it seems quite daunting! 

Same here, color theory has long been something which has kind of scared me, but I've slowly picked up enough tidbits over the years that when I decided I wanted to lay this palette out really carefully I already had kind of an idea of where to get started.  I wound up learning an awful lot of stuff in the process, and most of the what I posted were things I came across while working on this specific project, which I then had to apply to my specific situation.