77283: Necromancer

Ash Adler

Well, this isn't the prettiest miniature I've painted, but I'd intended it more for practice in getting better at blending and highlighting than to be a fantastic final product, since I think my previous minis tended to have very stark transitions.

Necromancer_1.jpg.9c95780ef39a1b006b4caabeabf116cf.jpgNecromancer_2.jpg.aeb9fce3ed96dfe0e0718ae8f737f0ec.jpg

Thought process and more photos at: link

On the whole, while it has room for improvement, I kind of like how it turned out.  The blending on the scythe blade could've been better, but I think it's a big step forward from what I was ending up with on previous minis.  The white and yellow still jump out more than I'd like, but the greens at least seem to have a nice transition from about end of the notch to the tip.  The skin could've used a little more highlighting, especially around the right knee, but at least I was able to get the sort of corpsy/sickly/necrotic look that I was aiming for.  I tried to go for a kind of "cast in shadows" look on the face to go along with the hood, and I'm fairly pleased with what it ended up being, though I think the eyes look more like empty sockets than sunken shadows.  The ribs are kind of janky, and I'll just have to live with that.  I do really like how the cloth turned out, though, looking like a dank and rotten shroud that's been smeared with all kinds of dirt and crap.  On the other hand, the base really didn't work out how I'd wanted.  I tried to go for a sort of slate look with a dark blue-grey under some lighter bits, but I really needed to either highlight further or to darken/sharpen the recessed edges, if not both.

Oh well, as I said, this was basically a practice/experiment piece, and if nothing else, I do feel like I managed to learn a little as I worked on it.  C&C welcome.  I'd especially love to hear any tips on how I could've gotten more of a "flowing magical construct" look with the scythe blade, as opposed to the current "colored piece of plastic" look.

• Like 20

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dig it. Maybe some glazes to help smooth the transitions on the energy blade? I like the color choice. It screams necrotic energies to me! I'm hardly an expert regarding techniques though (and am crap at glazes in practice), so maybe one of our more experienced folks can step in? 

• Like 2

The cloak looks good.  If you want to play with it some more sirgourls suggestion of glazes is the correct one. Get some medium and add it to the yellow you used on the blade until you can just barely see the color yellow when you paint on some whit paper with it..i.e. Very thin. Glaze over the whole blade with the mix. Let it dry. Repeat. Maybe ten or mor time to smooth it out. 

And a decent discussion on glazing 

• Like 1

I like the green scythe! My suggestion there is to do it in grey, then on top with green in thin layers - get a little steel underneath channeling the magic. 

I'm glad you enjoyed this figure. I recently completed her too and she was great to paint. A general suggestion is to try highlighting peaks more. It will give the figure more depth. Without that and they can appear somewhat flat. This figure is great for practice on that because she has cloth, skin, metal, wood, and bone. You get to work with many different effects. And, most areas are easy to access with the brush.

Happy painting!

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips.  I'll try glazing it and seeing how that affects it.

25 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I like the green scythe! My suggestion there is to do it in grey, then on top with green in thin layers - get a little steel underneath channeling the magic. 

I'm glad you enjoyed this figure. I recently completed her too and she was great to paint. A general suggestion is to try highlighting peaks more. It will give the figure more depth. Without that and they can appear somewhat flat. This figure is great for practice on that because she has cloth, skin, metal, wood, and bone. You get to work with many different effects. And, most areas are easy to access with the brush.

Happy painting!

Yeah, I think it was definitely a good mini for a beginner like me to practice a lot of things on without too much fuss.  My only problem with it was that it has some nasty mold lines, but even that gave a bit of practice in trying to clean them up without damaging the actual figure (not that I did a very good job of it, but at least those photos hid most of it apart of the one above the forearm holding the skull/talisman).

• Like 2

Mine had some gnarly mold lines too. A fine one on the hood, and then a nasty one through her fingers holding the scythe, thin one on inside of cloak, and thick one on her lower leg. Kinda wonder if the cast for her is getting worn out, since those mold lines were so prominent. 

• Like 2

Went back to try doing some glazing.  I started with trying to build up the yellow, but I went overboard in thinning it and could barely see any difference after about an hour (as in the little white mark just under the notch in on the front side still looked almost like pure white).  Adding a bit more yellow paint and trying again built it up more, although I guess I must've built up a crease in the dried paint at some point since I ended up with a kind of streak of stronger color in the middle of the blade face near its base.  Anyway, for the sake of more experimenting, I did a bit of the same thing with the darkest green in the opposite direction over about half the blade on the front and over almost all of it on the back.  Having a somewhat better idea of the translucency to aim for helped, as I started to notice the tinting starting to shift towards the darker side after just a few layers.  Here are the results:

20171008_144347.jpg.3cd2c31e606981b4f2fd379a030dfba6.jpg20171008_144416.jpg.69c731b772d5a12f0694bcf404a264b0.jpg

It's definitely a better transition than what I had before.  If I was to do it again from scratch, I'd want to work through the intermediate shades as well instead of glazing with just the lightest (non-white) and darkest colors, but one step at a time :lol:.  I'll keep in mind to try doing some more color blending like this on the next mini where I've got a nice flat surface to work on.

Thanks again for the advice! ::D:

Edited by Ash Adler
typo fix
  • Like 4