Sign in to follow this  
InvisibleThumb

Crypt and more display for October

These look great!  The illusion of the lantern in the last photo is especially effective.

• Like 2

I do love a good graveyard; AND you have created a BEAUTY...WONDERFULLY spooky photos as well. HAUNTINGLY WELL DONE!

The initial part of breaking out of lurker mode is the hard part. I have been trying to work up the oomph to do it on another forum myself.

Now that you have overcome inertia, keep posting; re, it gets easier as you go along.

• Like 2

Thanks Pingo and Malefactus!  I will try to post more regularly.  

Here now are three more models to add to my display.  I'll need to find room for them.  Photos are not as forgiving this time.  Really, I'm painting at what I consider tabletop level for me.  So no more than a couple sessions for the group.

image.jpg.5d92b4bba72e5b978012e2d23bd7feff.jpg

image.jpg.0e6dcf77856ac46f922ae1d8208da543.jpg

image.jpg.ea13f4e2ea73b05b295e27ae34e4b020.jpg

image.jpg.c3505344bcad18e89a03741e56a693be.jpg

wait, how'd that last one sneak in there?  Well it is still part of a seasonal display and the kids and I enjoyed pulling these out and building them for the umpteenth time.

Edited by InvisibleThumb
Ugh, can't remember how to do spoiler tags
  • Like 16

LOVE THOSE BATS...the miniature & the big plastic one are cool! That Tentacle Faced Horror Thing is starting to become something I needGREAT LOOKING STUFF one & all!

Edited by malefactus

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome!

Great creepy setting!

Thanks!  But hey, don't I get bonus points for painting a wolf?  (Or negative points on account of it being corpsifiied?) ::P:

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

LOVE THOSE BATS...the miniature & the big plastic one are cool! That Tentacle Faced Horror Thing is starting to become something I needGREAT LOOKING STUFF one & all!

Yeah, tentacled things have a way of crawling over the other miniatures in the box waiting for paint.  I had fun mixing colors to make it less drab.

• Like 3

Wow! Especially to the undertaker/grave digger. That OSL is off the charts! I will have to redo mine and copy your effect to the letter!! :) Very inspiring stuff ^_^ 

• Like 3

Very nice diorama. In addition to the lantern, the white pumpkin adds some nice variation to the pumpkin patch. Your painting looks good to me and I will say this again, "I haven't seen a bad painted version of the crypt set" and yours stands out even more with the diorama additions. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, VolksFest said:

Wow! Especially to the undertaker/grave digger. That OSL is off the charts! I will have to redo mine and copy your effect to the letter!! :) Very inspiring stuff ^_^ 

Very kind of you to say.  The grave digger has a very dark palette except for the lantern light.  I think I did this one after ordering the reaper triad with red shadow, violet shadow, and black green.  So those three played a major role in setting up the contrast for the osl.

1 hour ago, KruleBear said:

Very nice diorama. In addition to the lantern, the white pumpkin adds some nice variation to the pumpkin patch. Your painting looks good to me and I will say this again, "I haven't seen a bad painted version of the crypt set" and yours stands out even more with the diorama additions. 

Thanks!  The pumpkins were painted acorns from the neighborhood.  I did a little variety, and a couple variations made it onto this patch.  The vines are made from moss harvested from my yard.  I have lots of shade in the back and while the grass suffers, the moss thrives!

• Like 6

On 10/10/2017 at 4:50 PM, InvisibleThumb said:

Thanks!  But hey, don't I get bonus points for painting a wolf?  (Or negative points on account of it being corpsifiied?) ::P:

Yeah, tentacled things have a way of crawling over the other miniatures in the box waiting for paint.  I had fun mixing colors to make it less drab.

BONUS Points for Painting a WOLF!!!! ::P:

WOOF does not discriminate against the living impaired!

• Like 3

Great work on a very cool piece!

Your painting is fine; remember: if you're having fun you're doing it right.:winkthumbs:

• Like 2

On October 11, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I love the salivating effect on the grub worm. So creepy!

Thanks PM.  I had out the glue gun and thought, why not?  Unfortunately it may not hold up as well as if I'd used something else like CA glue or water effects.  Still, gave it a gloss coat of sealer, so I'm making some effort.

7 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Great work on a very cool piece!

Your painting is fine; remember: if you're having fun you're doing it right.:winkthumbs:

That's absolutely right.  I'm doing this for fun.  That means sometimes I rush a bit as I notice my attention wandering to another project.  Or maybe I slap together something with what I have at hand instead of waiting until I have all the tools and materials I should have.  Of course that can be frustrating, and may take some fun out of a project, but I'll learn not to do it that way next time.

so on that note, I took a quick pic of some trees I slapped together for the other side of the crypt.  These were made by painting and gluing flock and static grass to pretty much random stuff.  Foam, toothpicks, and cones of cut up grass mats.  It's really just supposed to be background for the rest of the display on the shelf.  I want to work on some lycanthropic critters, maybe something creepy-crawly.  So a foresty background was called for.  (the models in front of the trees are a small tower of dwarvenite I painted over the summer with the rest of my castles and a witch I've used as a frostgrave wizard with her cauldron)

Okay no more stalling.  Here's the photo with phone camera flash and all.  I don't think I'll take any more pics with that flash.  

image.thumb.jpg.0096ccab4b71f4cd482f61a77ccadaeb.jpg

• Like 11

Good job!

Your bashed together trees look pretty good; the irregularity of them looks more realistic than the 'cookie cutter' effect you'd get by using manufactured trees.