flame reflecting off of black carapace?

Crowley

I'm working on painting a big bad bug monster that's mostly in shadow. It's front claws are just barely in torchlight. My Google-fu has failed me. Can anyone point me in the direction of reference pics for flame reflecting off of black carapace? Beetle, alien, whatever... 

Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree that it should be lit at the extreme of the torchlight...but if the chitin is shiny, it will have some very bright reflections along ridges or at the height of curved areas.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeLIDqhFrvyGEWbuO7oV4YIDwz8Pv81Ry5QHugRIldr13ZIGZtzw

In this guy, you can see how bright the reflective spots are, but they get very diffuse pretty quickly. And the ridges on his forelegs have very bright reflective spots with almost no fade-away. This is lit with daylight, but I think you can shift the light's colors into the orange and red for a pretty good idea.

If there is an object like a wall that light can bounce off of, you can also get a little dimmer reflection on the far side of the bug-thing to help define its shape.