10012, Kaladrax the Dire Drake (heavy pictures)

Metalchaos

29 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

This is sooo cool!  I love it!

I will offer one critique, although it is very small.  The material you used to create the tumble weed is great and they look like tumble weed but I think they are maybe a little too white.  Just a thought.

I've had good success with putting lichen in tubs with a little paint and water, then mixing it up a bit. If you don't overdo the paint, you get a nice variety of strength in colors between the original color and the paint. Maybe a little Leather Brown or something watered down would give a neat effect as tumbleweed. Probably too late though now that it's on the base. I like lichen, but working with it is tough. Never wants to stick.

• Like 1

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just looking at the in the works photos AND, as if by magic, he is done. The Living Impaired Dragon is a FANTASTICALLY imaginative conversion, BEAUTIFULLY painted AND WONDERFULLY based creation. OUTSTANDINGLY WELL DONE!

I do picture him with a straw hat, but then I am a pretty strange Old Man.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2017 at 11:00 AM, NecroMancer said:

This is sooo cool!  I love it!

I will offer one critique, although it is very small.  The material you used to create the tumble weed is great and they look like tumble weed but I think they are maybe a little too white.  Just a thought.

You're right NecroMancer, the lichen I used was completely dry and discolored.

On 10/10/2017 at 11:59 AM, pinkymadigan said:

I've had good success with putting lichen in tubs with a little paint and water, then mixing it up a bit. If you don't overdo the paint, you get a nice variety of strength in colors between the original color and the paint. Maybe a little Leather Brown or something watered down would give a neat effect as tumbleweed. Probably too late though now that it's on the base. I like lichen, but working with it is tough. Never wants to stick.

Thanks for the advice Pinkymadigan, I will try your technique next time.

Thanks for your comment Malefactus. As I was working on the conversion, I also fancied necrotic symbiosis between the Dragon and the Wand. Go figure who's in charge...

Edited by Metalchaos

Amazing! I Can almost feel the stiff pergament-like wings and his bones bleached from the scorching desert sun.

One little thing is the rocks at his feet, I feel they should be lying more in the dirt than on top of it.

• Like 1

Looks great!

What kind of crackle paste did you use? I'm currently trying to create a desert diorama, and I bought Golden crackle paste from Michaels. The test swatches (painted thin, and a little thicker) didn't seem to crackle much overnight. :(

I might have to shell out for GW dry earth paint, but I'm hoping you have some tips!

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments ;) I'm happy you like it.

On 12/10/2017 at 0:55 AM, LarsM said:

...One little thing is the rocks at his feet, I feel they should be lying more in the dirt than on top of it.

You're right @LarsM there is a gap between the flat base rock and the dry soil. I didn't pay enough attention to this detail when I fixed the Dragon the the round wooden base. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll correct that.

On 13/10/2017 at 0:09 PM, noodlemancer said:

...What kind of crackle paste did you use? I'm currently trying to create a desert diorama, and I bought Golden crackle paste from Michaels. The test swatches (painted thin, and a little thicker) didn't seem to crackle much overnight...

@noodlemancer, I used the same product you're using. From what I red, my recomendation for Michaels Golden crackle paste is that it's better to apply it on a primed surface than a dry or smooth surface. If everything around on your base is already painted, use brush on primer. My understanding is that the primer help the product to ckracle better. If the surface is to dry, if you apply it on wood for instance, the surface will absorbe the product and reduce the crakcle effect. Also, the thicker the paste you apply, the bigger will be the space between the cracks. On my Kaladrax base, at the second attempt, I applyed a thin layer of paste. This way I got a smaller crackle effect, smaller spaces between the cracks. My last but not the least tip, is to paint the dry crackled paste two day after you apply it to your base. It takes a lot of time for this product to dry. I hope this will help.