Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
An older miniature I started years ago, but finished recently. I think it was mostly the weapons (shading) and dirty shirt missing. I would say the paint job is average, but I do like the miniature.
I decided to go for a simple, but interesting base, featuring a Nolzur's bottle and Thomarillion barrel.
Yar! Ahoy, lads and lasses, it be that time O' year again! A time for all land lubbers to embrace their inner sea dog and set sail. That's right, it be Talk like a Pirate Day again.
So put down yer troubles, and forget all yer squabbles and syntax for a day and lets all raise a cup O' grog or rum in celebration, to all me hearty crew! Arrrr!
I'll be post'n a traditional carol for the day shortly.
So for awhile now I've had this goal, nay, this desire, nay, this primal compulsion to build a boat. It is not enough to have hand drawn maps, or 2D terrain tiles. I need a fully functioning 3D boat! Well, maybe not fully functioning. But I want to build a cool boat!
I've been working on a nautical campaign full of swashbuckling, sailing, and sea monsters for a few years now. It's my White Whale project. Always just on the horizon. It'll happen some day, but in the meantime, I have a million small projects to complete and extend the chase. One of which is my desire to build a few different sized ships to enliven any possible naval combat.
I actually attempted this about two years ago, just winging it and making some measurements and throwing them at some craft supplies. I wanted a cheap option that wasn't too difficult to repeat that way I wouldn't be discouraged from making multiple ships. So I limited it to cheap crafting materials like foamcore, wooden dials, popsicle sticks, and thumbtacks. And the result wasn't bad. Especially for my first attempt at any kind of terrain building.
It actually turned out rather nice! To my surprise. But I got hung up on mast and sail designs and never finished.
The wood on the deck had 2x1in grid carved into it for easier D&D use.
and the figurehead was designed to be modular.
However, overtime the boat collected dust and little scratches. I should have given it a coat of mod podge or sealant of some kind, but never did. And eventually it had an unfortunate run in with an injured owl that we took in for a night.
Here's the little devil himself.
Anyways, I put this project on the back burner for long enough and feel inspired to dive back in. Especially with a certain Bones ship on the Horizon that I'm still on the fence about getting. I was doing some browsing on the web and recently found this wonderful little blog complete with loose instructions and a plan from a now defunct wargamming site. The blog creator had found the old plan and adapted it to build something using most of the same materials I have already stockpiled.
There's a few choices that I like better than my first attempt so I think I'm going to use this as some inspiration as I give this boat thing another go.
My hold up now is still those darn masts. The original plan above used wood and required drilling out holes for the masts. The blogger use foam for his ship and found random bits of tubing to house his masts. I could try to find something random like that, but I was hoping to find something simpler for easy repetition. And I would also like to keep the masts loose so they can be removed for easy storage, or to swap out the sails. Any thoughts?
Any resources, tips, recommendations are very welcome! I'll post back here with any updates.
I got my Mega Bundle for ReaperCon a few days ago. I was floored by the resin sculpt by Jason Weibe (@GwydionGreen), Dead Men Tell No Tales. I knew immediately that I wanted to paint it; I didn't know though that I wanted to paint it immediately, but I guess I did, as I couldn't stop thinking about it.
Originally, I was going to do it as a challenge, where-by I could only use the paints included in the Mega Bundle...but I have had a change of heart. I had started doing just this, but the lack of yellow choices (Rattlesnake Leather was it) really limited what I could do with mixing, and this is too nice of a sculpt to give it anything but my best.
Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.
I started by cleaning everything and removing the mold lines. The boat was pretty bad and I was forced to remove some of the runes and make it look like weathering to get the mold lines off. The rest was really good though.
Then I primed and started painting. I primed it with Army Painter White. It went on a bit grainy. Maybe my can is getting old. At first, I didn't think it was too bad, but after painting the stone of the throne and the wood of the ship, I got really discouraged. The paint wasn't adhering to the primer right; it was like painting unwashed Bones with diluted paint. It took me an hour just to paint what you see here. Second, the rough texture was really showing up.
So, right now it is soaking in the Simple Green. I hope to get that primer off and try again tonight.
Who's Online 13 Members, 1 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)