Transparent miniatures help

Cranky Dog

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the translucent minis. Lots.

Having said that, my "perfect world" would be if Reaper made ALL the translucents in the same clear as the G-Cube, and produced a transparent paint line formulated specifically for the translucent plastic. Chemistry may very well make this impossible, but it's my dream for these.

Even without my dream, I want all of the translucent pieces!

• Like 4

I haven't painted any of my translucent bones yet... but I got a translucent ice burg base which I lightly painted with blue and white. The effect is quite lovely. The blue shows through the base the way ice does, giving it that sense of depth. I'm really happy with the way it turned out ::): Now I just need to try that baking soda + glue snow effect and I'll be ready to post it ::):

• Like 1

I fail to see how they could possibly be a problem. If you like the effect, paint them to accommodate that or don't paint them at all. If you don't, then paint them as normal.

Though there was that one guy last KS who insisted that Reaper should make opaque versions of all the translucents because he didn't like the clear effect, but it would be a shame to paint over it... :rock:

• Like 3

I haven't painted any of my translucent bones yet... but I got a translucent ice burg base which I lightly painted with blue and white. The effect is quite lovely. The blue shows through the base the way ice does, giving it that sense of depth. I'm really happy with the way it turned out ::): Now I just need to try that baking soda + glue snow effect and I'll be ready to post it ::):

Don't use baking soda! It turns yellowish after awhile. Your better off getting snow from Woodland Scenics or Secret Weapon. Trust me.

• Like 1

I haven't painted any yet, but the solution to the dilemma seems obvious: paint parts and leave other parts clear. l also don't imagine that washes would necessarily cause the minis to lose their transparency.

Go ahead and do it that way - it is what I do, and it works fine.

I used grey acrylic on the tombstone of the wraith, , a light spritz of matte coat, then a green ink wash over the body.

No noticeable loss of translucency.

For another figure I used the same approach, and did a final drybrush of glow in the dark paint - which did result in some loss of translucency, but it is still there.

*EDIT* The fire elementals I am painting - white primer, yellow base, shading through orange and red, wisps of black smoke on the extreme edges.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2

Don't use baking soda! It turns yellowish after awhile. Your better off getting snow from Woodland Scenics or Secret Weapon. Trust me.

Painting Clinic guy said he'd had some for many years which hadn't turned yellow... how long does it take to turn yellow? >.>

Painting Clinic guy said he'd had some for many years which hadn't turned yellow... how long does it take to turn yellow? >.>

Anywhere from 8 months to Never. The problem is that baking soda is a base, and chemically reactive. How fast it changes color, if at all, depends on what is in the air. It's a roll of the dice.

And dice hate me.

• Like 3

Anywhere from 8 months to Never. The problem is that baking soda is a base, and chemically reactive. How fast it changes color, if at all, depends on what is in the air. It's a roll of the dice.

And dice hate me.

I've seen it argued that it's not so much the baking soda as the glue used that causes the yellowing.

Overall inconclusive for now.

I have always been happy with the reds, and always slightly dissatisfied with the greens. Most of them I try to leave alot of the translucent material visible, with the execption of the most recent "pile of ghost chicks" The wraith I tried glow-in the-dark craft paint, but it either would adhere or didn't provide coverage. After about 3 layers I gave up and started mixing it with the yellow. most of the figure has a yellow drybrush, and then I used a mix of glow/off-white to touch up the crevices

Here ill post some results. I would love some direct advice about fixing them up a little.

picts to follow....

post-12081-0-09989700-1382644138_thumb.jpg

post-12081-0-05421100-1382643851_thumb.jpg

post-12081-0-45926800-1382644118_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 2

And dice hate me.

I've seen it argued that it's not so much the baking soda as the glue used that causes the yellowing.

Overall inconclusive for now.

I can confirm it's the baking soda. Remember, people put it in their fridge because it absorbs odors. This means it also absorbs other contaminants. To what extent it will turn will depend on the environment and whether or not it is covered (i.e. used as ground cover in a display case).

For example - if you live in a low dust, low pollutant, low humdity environment and it is covered - may stay white for a long time.

But if you live in average+ humidity, it is uncovered, and you smoke? It'll be shoe leather brown in a month or two.

• Like 2