Crowley's King in Yellow

Crowley

Because I couldn't not start a new project (or two of you count the Halloween Knight) days before ReaperCon...

_20171011_122724.JPG

_20171012_220925.JPG

_20171012_220940.JPG

_20171014_203318.JPG

_20171014_225103.JPG

Kinda liking the Orange to Green to Purple of the tentacles. Needs cleaning up though. 

_20171014_225045.JPG

_20171014_225213.JPG

_20171014_225155.JPG

And these are the colors used so far. Sideways apparently... 

_20171014_231426.JPG

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 19

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, cleaned up the book some more, redid the eyeball, and touched up a little on and around the mask.

The tentacles still need... Something. Blending maybe? And I need to do the stitches on the sleeve. Wondering if the book mark should be purple...

Thoughts? Criticism? Suggestions?

_20171017_065208.JPG

_20171017_065153.JPG

• Like 11

Boring critique: more highlights. Keep in mind, I'm a notorious nitpicker. You may not have interest in nitpicking so hard. You are invited to nitpick the heck out of anything I do. 

I like the color setup you have going. Each region could use a touch brighter at its high points. Even a thin glaze of something like leather white or ghost white + midtone at the top parts of the tentacles would help; if you do it more on one part of a curve, it will seem more curvy. You could even pop in some more dark gray/blue/purples in the creases too. Linen white + that mustardy color, glazed a little on the robes will make it stand out more. The bookmark doesn't need to be purple, but if you shadowed it with purple glazes, that could be sweet. A tiny dot of darker yellow on the corners of the eye will help it look more rounded. 

Looking great so far though. Keep it up and this guy is going to be mighty scary! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Boring critique: more highlights. Keep in mind, I'm a notorious nitpicker. You may not have interest in nitpicking so hard. You are invited to nitpick the heck out of anything I do. 

I like the color setup you have going. Each region could use a touch brighter at its high points. Even a thin glaze of something like leather white or ghost white + midtone at the top parts of the tentacles would help; if you do it more on one part of a curve, it will seem more curvy. You could even pop in some more dark gray/blue/purples in the creases too. Linen white + that mustardy color, glazed a little on the robes will make it stand out more. The bookmark doesn't need to be purple, but if you shadowed it with purple glazes, that could be sweet. A tiny dot of darker yellow on the corners of the eye will help it look more rounded. 

Looking great so far though. Keep it up and this guy is going to be mighty scary! 

In the few minutes between dinner, and taking the dogs to the sitter, I added a couple layers of highlights to the yellow. Really does pop... We'll see what I can get done at the Con for the rest. 

Thank you for the nitpicking!! 

• Like 1

I think the highlights on the cloak of the King could come up a little, but that the shadows need to be more pronounce/deeper...maybe all the way to brown liner or something crazy dark. The tentacles could come up a ton on highlighting so that they look almost shiny, depending on the feel you are going for.

I love the mini and you have a great start!

• Like 1