Sign in to follow this  
Thrym

14626 :: Herald of Blood :: Thrym WIP #4ad6c62d-9df5-435c-9275-7c6d578b4718

YAY!  Clearance items begotten from Game Kastle and I managed to find not one but TWO of the minis from my wishlist in their clearance!!  WOOOHOOO!

HERALD OF BLOOD

This golem or construct of the gnomes from deep within the world is brilliantly painted by Martin Jones in the Reaper Catalog:

14626_p_1_mj.jpg
Painted by Martin Jones

And while I didn't want his work to influence mine I will be doing at least two things the same:

A.

Glowing Runes and Eyes

B.

Not Stone Spikes

I assembled this gentleman first with the idea of "full menacing pose" so both arms are over his head.

And amusingly, without referencing the above image, I swapped his arms.

So to start off, here he is Primed, Basecoated in Vallejo Game Color Yellow Olive and the Runes are in Vallejo Panzer Aces Stencil.

59e4380365fb9_PrimedBasecoat.jpg.3ae718e9ca72a0bfa31a33a0a3586f56.jpg

GOAL!!!!

On the base, is a piece of slate and green stuff to simulate cavern floor.  Two fallen or unused mine supports are behind him.

What's next ... well, I think the final colors are going to be Purple / Black Granite with a Green under-color.

The Runes will be a glowing Reaper Rach Red .

The Spikes will be converted into Crystals.  Which might entail some blunting of the ends to get a more crystalline appearance. 

These crystals will ultimately be Red/Purple or Purple/Green to fit the theme so far.

ENJOY and Stay Tuned!

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 8

Very cool!  I wish my FLGS had a bargain bin with miniatures!  They have a 50% off bin for paints which is where I got all the Citadel paints I have (about 20 pots).

I'm looking forward to see how this comes out!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

Very cool!  I wish my FLGS had a bargain bin with miniatures!  They have a 50% off bin for paints which is where I got all the Citadel paints I have (about 20 pots).

I'm looking forward to see how this comes out!

Thank you.

Game Kastle is on the other side of the U.S. from me.  They have a ton of clearance on their website. 

I posted about it in the Department of Acquisitions!  I got the Herald of Blood and more ...

The closest FLGS's from me that carry actual miniatures are in Rochester, Syracuse or Ithaca ... all of which are about equidistant from me (40-60 minutes away).  So, I also shop online a lot.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Samedi
      Next mini off my shelf of shame: The little mummy from the warlord familiars pack III.

Only when I painted the eyes of the scarabeus I realised that the sculpt is one eyed. And then I was too lazy to add the other one. Oh, well...

Just a quick paint up, enjoy!

C&c welcome!

• By Samedi
      Finished!

This is another one of my long term residents of my shelf of shame. Stripped, re-primed and re-painted after an unsuccessful first attempt. 
      I tried for a somewhat mayan color scheme by googling pictures of mayan art and choosing the paint closest in colour that I had.

Fun fact 1: The mayas produced a special blue-green pigment which they used in their paintings. This pigment is very resistent to weathering. It's known as maya blue.
      Fun fact 2: Mayas used the same word for green and blue, meaning different greens and blues were seen as shades of ONE colour, not as belonging to two different categories, like for example in the English language.

I had a lot of fun with the water effects. But next time I have to cut back on the sea foam, it definitely looks better when applied sparingly.

Enjoy, c&c welcome, as always!
    • By Thrym
      After assembling the Graveyard Golem I decided I wanted to adjust the warp of the gates on the golem's back.

So using two copper staples, I shaped them to an arch and gouged a notch on each wing.  Then cut the staple to leave a sharp point.  After that, I insert the staple using pliers and force.

Next I will secure the wire to the gate posts with superglue and then shape the wire and wing to the desired warp.  Once setup I will glue the wire to the remaining gate bars.

With the main new bars secured, I will intertwine some floral wire to dress up the bars and gate wings.

Stay tuned and Enjoy.  Please stay safe. 
    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, I completed this model last night. 14124 Kevis the Overlords Mage was sculpted by Chaz Elliott. This guy will be an evil evoker NPC in a campaign I'll be running.

• By The Steve
      So, a few questions:

Mercenaries.
      There was a post about how if we take so many mercenaries we will lose our faction benifits? is that true? if so, where do I find the limits and who can go in what force? Going to a shop with plentiful reaper next wed and want to have a shopping list in hand for what I can use in my necropolis and crusader forces.

SO, we can have:
      0/1 warlord
      1/3 captains(assuming no duplicates with UNQ?)
      ?/? sgts?

So after that, elites as many as fill the slots, soldiers, I am assuming we can mix and match as we darn well please?

I'll have more questions, right now I am painting up a storm, just did 8 battle nuns, 4 characters last night. so today I start basing my other solidiers and elites.
  • Who's Online   25 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)