Tristram

What Happened to Breakfast?

37 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

I guess for us who don’t socialize outside the convention, having to pay for breakfast and pay more for the rooms isn’t worth it

in the three ReaperCons I have gone to, I have never socialized at the fire pit, or outside the con at all

indeed I hardly find room at tables of forumites to sit and chat with, so for me I guess actually Cons are more for the classes and art contest than socialization, because looking back at my convention history I barely socialize with anyone and can count on one hand the amount of conversations I had with people that last more than a quick ‘hi’

That's exactly why my wife goes to Reapercon, for the classes and the contest. There's nothing wrong with that!

Bet there would be a lot of people who would save you guys seats, though. :)

• Like 4

My first 2 years at RCon were class intensive. I am not terribly outgoing or charismatic. So my experiences were very similar to Siri's.  On my third year I had to make a concerted effort to make personal connections with other con attendees. Giving rides has been the easiest way to make friends for me. I have a van and live local, so it's convenient. I also tried playing games at the con. Getting to know people is easier in a game than a class.  Plus, as much as I want to engage with others, not everyone is open to visiting with strangers. And I try to gauge if I am making them uncomfortable with my awkward conversation starters. I fear that I come off as needy when all I really want to do is make others feel welcome. It's understandable that a hobby attractive to introverts would make socializing at a convention awkward. 

My second year at ReaperCon I setup on a table and started painting. Later, I was still sitting there by myself. It suddenly struck me then that I wasn't going to make personal connections huddled over a mini. I wasn't inviting people to sit down, and everyone was being courteous to the guy who obviously doesn't want to be disturbed. That's when I changed my game-plan for the next year.

Edited by DixonGrfx
  • Like 7

I'm tempted to print out a while bunch of signs, now. "Hi! I'm 'name'! I'm not as busy as I look, please have a seat and talk to me." or so. 

Because I had a similar sort of problem, compounded by a lack of familiarity with the convention.

• Like 6

It also just occurred to me that it's a shame Siri wasn't sitting at the table with us while her dragon was on the table. That thing was like a geek magnet!  Sooo many people stopped, gawked, and wanted to ask questions about it. Using painted figures as a conversation starter at a figure painting convention works like magic.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

tables are usually packed with people, indeed extra chairs and people are normally pulled up and pushed in there.

Fitting my husband and i into that already packed table would nto be comfortable for us, or for those trying to make room for us.

I always view the forumite tables as first come, first serve, in terms of who gets to sit and socialize and we tend to not be the ones there first

For most of the Reapercons I have been to  there have been 3 people at my table. By that I mean we leave our stuff and go to class.  There is some socializing when we are all there at the same time.  I would like to sit at one of the crowded tables and talk all day, but I'm not comfortable with that level of closeness.  It would overwhelm me very quickly. 

So next time, if you want to sit at a forumite table look for me. It won't be crowded and you won't feel pressured to have long conversations. 

51 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

AAARRGGGHHHH!

My wife felt excluded this year too.. she brought out the pens and coloring books at the hotel and people pretty much avoided sitting at her table.. I don't know if they were afraid to disturb her or what... 

I wondered where that was happening. I looked but did not see it at the convention center and thought maybe it had been canceled. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mr Melons said:

I've asked a few people who went to both the Fairfield and the HGI and they all said the HGI breakfast beat out the Fairfield by a good margin. 

Also, for those that left early Monday, they finally brought out the biscuits with gravy.....I commented to a few ppl that it was pretty lazy of them this year to do only pancakes the entire con when previously they would rotate the last item in the buffet.

To be honest I thought Monday (first Monday @ HGI I was there late enough to eat breakfast), the stuff that was in the buffet line (eggs, bacon, etc etc) wasn't even there till I seen them in smaller portions at the cook counter. I thought the BnG was a new item. Either way I still got what I normally got each time I was there. 

57 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

My wife felt excluded this year too.. she brought out the pens and coloring books at the hotel and people pretty much avoided sitting at her table.. I don't know if they were afraid to disturb her or what... 

That's sad! If she had done that at the convention she might have gotten FireElemental to come visit. We didn't hit up the HGI this year at all (not even for the fire pit!) so if that's where she was stationed we never had a shot to see her and hang out. :(

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DixonGrfx said:

My first 2 years at RCon were class intensive. I am not terribly outgoing or charismatic. So my experiences were very similar to Siri's.  On my third year I had to make a concerted effort to make personal connections with other con attendees. Giving rides has been the easiest way to make friends for me. I have a van and live local, so it's convenient. I also tried playing games at the con. Getting to know people is easier in a game than a class.  Plus, as much as I want to engage with others, not everyone is open to visiting with strangers. And I try to gauge if I am making them uncomfortable with my awkward conversation starters. I fear that I come off as needy when all I really want to do is make others feel welcome. It's understandable that a hobby attractive to introverts would make socializing at a convention awkward. 

My second year at ReaperCon I setup on a table and started painting. Later, I was still sitting there by myself. It suddenly struck me then that I wasn't going to make personal connections huddled over a mini. I wasn't inviting people to sit down, and everyone was being courteous to the guy who obviously doesn't want to be disturbed. That's when I changed my game-plan for the next year.

& for this year I'm glad you did!! Thanks for the ride to Taco Bell for lunch. I tend to forget about eating, while at RCon these days, other then breakfast at HGI & the dinner later on that day.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

AAARRGGGHHHH!

FYI my survey from HGI came today, so thats a good place to let your disappointment with cost and food choices be known.  

Aw, she was at the hotel?! We kept looking for the coloring table at the convention but never thought of looking at the hotel.

As for the convention tables, we kept running into “full table” syndrome as well. Might have something to do with us getting there late every day! So we weren’t put out by it and we just made our own table as needed. We did feel pushed out by one table (nobody I actually had talked to, so it wasn’t you), not by any actions but just no talking happened and they stayed very close to the same people constantly. So we did relocate to an empty table, which did fill up with other forumites. I did try to get up and talk to people I recognized, but didn’t do as much for people I didn’t know or remember seeing. I’d like to grow that circle of people, and try to push bingo on more unknown people next time. 

• Like 5

Knarthex attempted to do that on the first day, but Reaper had to shoot down the table cluster idea. I'm guessing due to fire marshal regulations; crowded area + water + electrical items.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, pcktlnt said:

Knarthex attempted to do that on the first day, but Reaper had to shoot down the table cluster idea. I'm guessing due to fire marshal regulations; crowded area + water + electrical items.

I'm guessing emergency exiting would be difficult.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

By cluster I only meant grab a set of tables in close proximity, not actually move them.

• Like 3