Cyradis

WIP 50051, Max Decker, Private Eye. By Cyr

This is a figure for a hat-friend. I did a base that wasn't just default, go me? I don't usually do that. 

I am going to try to give him pinstripe pants. 

20171021_191206.jpg

20171021_192110.jpg

20171021_203148.jpg

20171021_203152.jpg

20171021_204715.jpg

20171021_204719.jpg

20171021_204724.jpg

• Like 18

9 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

And now some nuln oil to blacken the shadows...

20171021_231012.jpg

Coming along very nicely.

If I might be so bold as to suggest that a bit of a 5 O'clock shadow will definitey amp up the  gunsell/private-eye vibe?

The pinstrips look fantastic.

GEM

• Like 6

Awesome look already!

I can hear the narrator:

*** The moment she walked into my office, I knew she meant trouble..***

• Like 6

nice work, the pin stripping really stands out. looking forward to seeing the final project

• Like 3

That is a WONDERFULLY archtypical Private Eye. He is coming along SPLENDIDLY.

If your going for the vintage Gumshoe look, skip the 5 o'clock shadow; re, grubby is only a recent chic look.

By the way, who is Max Decker? Wikipedia doesn't know either.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

*shrug* Reaper's name. Seems fitting. 

I have been out of touch with movies, games, & stuff for a couple of decades now. I thought this might have been a character in something interesting.

I forgot that Reaper seems to need to name everything...I usually ignore the names. It does fit the mini though.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, malefactus said:

I have been out of touch with movies, games, & stuff for a couple of decades now. I thought this might have been a character in something interesting.

I forgot that Reaper seems to need to name everything...I usually ignore the names. It does fit the mini though.

Occasionally they forget names, like on my tattooed necromancer. She's just "Female Necromancer" for some reason. Usually they get a name though. 

• Like 2

More pictures!! The coat has preliminary shading and highlighting. The hat's band is meant to be two-tone, and is highlighted. The hat itself is not yet. 

20171023_224535.jpg

20171023_230005.jpg

20171024_001531.jpg

Oh yeah and the tie got stripes. 

• Like 11

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      I thought I had a WIP thread for her, but apparently not. I know I posted a half-done photo of her once, long ago. At any rate, here is a blast from the past and my past as well, the long-languishing Reaper 59037, Deadlands Noir Femme Fatale, sculpted by Bob Ridolfi.

And because I like to play around with backgrounds:

• By Rigel
      MOON COMMIES were promised, and MOON COMMIES you shall have!

Before the Last World War and the subsequent unification of the Earth Government, the Soviets established two off-world colonies. One, on Mars, used the advanced local technology and Martian social philosophy to create a pretty functional egalitarian society, where worker-owned hypertractors eke a living out of the Martian desert. Colloqually, Earth humans refer to these colonists as the Reds. They are a peaceful bunch, if given to proselytizing and boastfulness. 

The other colony entrenched itself on the far side of the Moon. Like the Reds, they correctly inferred that human-created systems will be subject to human failures. So instead of putting their planned economy in the hands of fallible humans, they put it under the control of the most advanced economy-planning machine possible: an artificial intelligence. The High Commissar,  dozens of cubic meters of vacuum tubes and hundreds of kilometers of tape. Its judgments are infallible, its calculations unquestionable to the nth decimal place. It is also programmed to be absolutely ideologically correct.

You can TRUST the High Commissar.

The High Commissar is the Working-Man's Friend. 

You can probably guess the rest. Around the time the Last World War broke out, the High Commissar concluded that all Earth transmissions were bourgeois capitalist propaganda and shut off all communications. The lunar base is on perpetual alert, ever vigilant for saboteurs and agitators. Happiness is mandatory in the Workers' Paradise; unhappiness and poor hygiene is Counterrevolutionary Activity. 

The wretched inhabitants of *this* colony are known informally on Earth as "the Lunatics."

Here are some citizens with Yellow clearance; trusted enough for oversight and maintenance. Their morale bolstered by a level of decoration precisely calculated to uplift the human spirit.

And here is another Yellow Clearance hero engaged in needed repairs (due, no doubt, to Earth saboteurs and saboteuses).

"Welp, comrades, here is problem."

The figures are Heresy Miniatures Bureaucrats. The boots and coveralls and beautifully conveyed levels of job satisfaction seemed perfect for a PARANOIA-style setting. 

• By Pingo
      This RAFM mini came in an assorted lot of female "modern" adventurers. Between the camera, the suit and the shoes she looked a little pre-modern, at least hardboiled detective noir era anyway.

Then I primed her and thought "Holy cow, this is Lois Lane, plucky girl reporter."

I mean, she isn't, not officially. Not even in a wink-and-nudge way. But by golly, that's how I think of her and that's how I'm going to paint her up.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

• By Cyradis
      I finished Mr. Decker, and he's doing swell! 

Goals with him: Pinstripe pants. Patterned tie. Two-hue hat band. Stubble. In these regards, I think he's a success! I also experimented with different shading methods on the coat and the shirt. I think the shirt kinda came out textured, and that's okay. Only the base, coat, and hat have been sealed (adds a slightly satiny finish that I didn't want on the rest). This is also the first figure I've used a stamp for - in the future I'll be making the greenstuff stamped area thinner. This isn't quite horizontal. He'd be an excellent piece for a diorama, but he's going to a friend in Minnesota instead. Perhaps I'll paint him again in the future for one. 

Story for his belt: that's his homicide detective belt. When the belt matches the hat, there's been some bad broccoli around that needs his inspection. Actual reason: I wanted more contrast areas and liked it. 

Story thus far by @Glitterwolf and @SisterMaryNapalm in the WIP below: 

Without further ado.... here he is. C&C always welcome! 

• Who's Online   34 Members, 2 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)