What would YOU like to see taught next year

So many thoughts!

So I had actually thought about hosting a panel about spreading the love of miniature painting in your home town. I say panel because I know I'm not the only one who has an active local paint group and I would like it to be a forum of discussion, not just a lecture. 

Open painting events

I know they aren't technically classes, but they were sponsored by Reaper and part of the Con schedule. 

Sophie Says - @Grayfax ran these and from what I hear they went well. 

Paint by Die Roll - I ran this for the first time and I felt it went well. Although, a few people may avoid the color yellow for a while.....

Survival Speed Paint. - Probably going to keep these as an after dinner activity. 

Regular Speed Paints - There were't any plain speed paints this year. Is this something people are interested in? If so, would you prefer judged with prizes  or no judging?

@Kuro Cleanbrush I'd totally be in for a long class on NMM. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/28/2017 at 1:32 AM, Thes Hunter said:

Instead of one 4 hour class could you make a part one and part two? I may start having hard drive disk space failures in my brains storage capacity with 4 hours (even with a break.) 

that way I could take them on different days, or there could be a clear morning and afternoon session or so could take them a year apart (which I personally would be more apt to try.)

Hmm...  That is an interesting suggestion.  My feeling is that the techniques that would be introduced across the duration of the class wouldn't break evenly into halves, but rather that they would build on each other quite organically to create a whole picture of the subject (with LOTS of hands-on practice!).  That being said, I certainly would not want to overwhelm anyone with too much data, so a good class break would be a must to give people a little time to digest and reflect.

I'll think about this some more, but I really appreciate everyone's interest!  ::): 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Ludo said:

So many thoughts!

So I had actually thought about hosting a panel about spreading the love of miniature painting in your home town. I say panel because I know I'm not the only one who has an active local paint group and I would like it to be a forum of discussion, not just a lecture. 

[snip]

Regular Speed Paints - There were't any plain speed paints this year. Is this something people are interested in? If so, would you prefer judged with prizes  or no judging?

I would be interested in being on the painting panel.  I do paint events at our local con. 

As for speed paint, I prefer the plain kind.  Jumping around and getting covered in paint isn't my thing, though I noticed plenty of other people enjoyed it.  Prizes? Maybe X Reaperbucks for participating and > X for the winner?

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, Inarah said:

As for speed paint, I prefer the plain kind.  Jumping around and getting covered in paint isn't my thing, though I noticed plenty of other people enjoyed it.  Prizes? Maybe X Reaperbucks for participating and > X for the winner?

Most of the speed paint events (Sophie Says included) had a formula for prizes.  Everyone got X ReaperBucks for showing up and participating.  Then it went to Top 3 for additional ReaperBucks rewards (3rd got 1X, 2nd got 2X and 1st got 3X).  There was also a ribbon, which in some circles is at least as valuable as ReaperBucks.  Of course, having your entry judged the best of the group by one of the named artists on the row was pretty cool too.  

I need to dig out my notebook and write out what I did for each of the three days of Sophie Says for posterity sake.  

• Like 6
On 10/24/2017 at 10:43 AM, Aryanun said:

Also two brush blending that doesn't require bodily fluids. :zombie:

Really, I don't lick my brush (anymore) and spitting into my palette is just gross.

Eww.  FWIW, I took a really great TBB class from David Diamondstone this past ReaperCon, and there were no bodily fluids involved. He was really helpful and encouraging, and I left with a really good understanding of how to do TBB for the first time. 

• Like 3
On 10/25/2017 at 9:56 PM, Corporea said:

Hmmn. Well I could drop hard colors

Just my 2 cents, Corporea, but your hard colors classes were among the best classes I took this year!  I loved the handouts, and I have every one of the sample minis mounted on my painting desk for reference.  You do such a great job teaching those concepts that it would be a shame to lose that. ::):

• Like 5
On 10/24/2017 at 9:43 AM, Aryanun said:

Also two brush blending that doesn't require bodily fluids. :zombie:

Really, I don't lick my brush (anymore) and spitting into my palette is just gross. I've had a thing against it ever since my first husband spit into my ear. <_<:zombie:

Special Effects in Basing: simulated rain, drool, water puddles, Spanish Moss hanging from branches, rusted/corroded metal, acid puddles, blood spatter, using LEDs, fire/lava effects...

I got a link to the medium that Matt mentioned in his class, Ox Gall by QOR. Seems it's a watercolor medium that works great as a saliva substitute. He posted a video on Monthly Miniatures using it and the results were pretty cool. A Google search should help bring it up.

Edited by nakos
Forgot about commercial links.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 10/30/2017 at 11:53 PM, Ludo said:

So many thoughts!

A software conference I go to every year has something that might work here.  Before the conference, they ask for people to submit topics for discussion.  Then at lunch each day the tables in the hall are given a number corresponding to a topic listed in the conference program.  You then get your lunch and sit at the table that is discussing the topic you want to be a part of.  Each table is moderated by someone from the software company, to ensure that everyone gets time to talk and that the table stays on topic.

Seems like we could do something similar, but maybe have the tables correspond to a forum topic.  It could be the Reaper Forums Live!.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Heisler said:

You mean as in diorama composition?

Yes. And/or display base composition. I've gotten dinged on it in some aspect all three years I've gone to ReaperCon so I know i need to improve it, there are just precious few resources out there. I've got a couple of "how to build diorama" type books but they're largely concerned with the how to and not the what and why.

Edited by SirLarpsAlot
  • Like 6
10 minutes ago, SirLarpsAlot said:

Yes. And/or display base composition. I've gotten dinged on it in some aspect all three years I've gone to ReaperCon so I know i need to improve it, there are just precious few resources out there. I've got a couple of "how to build diorama" type books but they're largely concerned with the how to and not the what and why.

I can always help with composition, the best book  I have ever found is Shep Paine's How to Build Dioramas, that goes into a lot more composition than most of the other ones. I have another good one but its long out of print and off hand I don't remember the title.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
19 minutes ago, Heisler said:

I can always help with composition, the best book  I have ever found is Shep Paine's How to Build Dioramas, that goes into a lot more composition than most of the other ones. I have another good one but its long out of print and off hand I don't remember the title.

I have that book. I guess I need to re-re-read it for the compositional elements.

• Like 2