Cav ground/time scale

kamovdown

Come on guys. Enough with the joke about a playing table the size of a warehouse. All tabletop games are just that, tabletop. Models are always out of scale, it is unavoidable.

It also misses the point. It is the timescale that is stuffed. 4 seconds.

4 SECONDS per turn.

This would be suitable for, say, combat rounds WITHIN an attack phase WITHIN an overall gameturn.

Yes it matters. The rules need a complete rewrite for 4 second turns to make sense. Much easier, however, to simply change the rule.

Come on, its a major flaw. You are not entitled to use the term REALISTIC anywhere near CAV, without changing it.

enough said. Back the lego.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 SECONDS per turn.

During the Vietnam War Brigadier General Steve Ritchie (retired) shot down 2 Mig 21s with three missiles in 89 seconds. With very little computer assistance since he was piloting an early 70s F-4 Phantom.

A modern US Navy Phalanx Mark 15 defense system's computer can go from neutral to full track mode in 3 seconds and put over 200 rounds of ammunition in the air to destroy incoming threats in those same 3 seconds. (or 300 rounds in 4 seconds if you'd rather)

Compared to the RMI FA-45 machine gun of the CAV Universe... the "low tech" M-249 SAW (created in the 80s) carried by a US Infantryman can spit 50 rounds of 5.56mm unhappiness in the general direction of the enemy in 4 seconds... the Mac-10 (created in the 70s) submachine gun almost 60 in the same time span.

I am utterly confident in mankind's ability to mesh computer and flesh in combat situations and produce reaction times that would leave civilians quite dumbfounded (science fiction or not).

I cannot fully imagine 270 years in the future, but I am content that 4 seconds is more than ample for a single turn of combat representing at best a couple of actions (and some of those computerized).

I might add a little personal experience... when you are being shot at time seems to "delay itself" allowying you to do things that you thought impossible in a very short time. You are procesing things faster... flight or fight conditions... hence you do things that under "normal conditions" you would think impossible. (Incidentally if you have never had this experience, take my word on it... it is not the most enjoyable thing to go through) Now add to that a computer as used by the Wizzo, and you have a situation where four seconds seems quite "real." After all a well trained M1A1 crew can put steel on target quite fast, while still on the move... and none of the crews in the CAV universe, as Matt keeps reminding me, are green.

Now going fully from memory I think Merkava crews were supposed to put steel on target every five seconds... thanks to the autoloader, which the M1 does not have. Autoloaders you can bet, are a common feature in the CAV universe.

So if you add things like autoloaders, computer controlled gunnery systems, crews with honed combat reactions and skills... four second is not that far off, given what we have today in the inventory. Though you are right, CAV is not a simulation... since we do not have CAVs anywhere, but on my painting table.

Now to a "realistic" table... I wonder if I can talk the crew when I get back to just put the tables to the side, use the floor space, and have a game of CAV sans ranges, just for the fun of it.

Nadin

Nadin