Started Cthulhu Wars for a friend today and I think I need some help with the Yellow Sign cultists. I'm starting with the robes and I feel like something went wrong somewhere along the line, not sure exactly how to fix it. Base coated black, then drybrushed ochre through yellow, then went back through glazing ochre through yellow. Maybe a dark brown wash will help. Could use some help.

59f028b89cc1d_yellowcultiststage1(1).thumb.jpg.b2db6f3a90fd1369a1c0af06a7b8e953.jpg59f028bed8b8d_yellowcultiststage1(2).thumb.jpg.8d4b1ed89880914c1447f1abf06f42df.jpg

Edited by ThirstyBob
  • Like 2

Is your problem that the robes have green shadows?
If yes, that is caused by the mixing of the pigments in black and yellow (most black has a slight blue bias, so when mixed with yellows they create dark green). I am not a professional and have only middle-highschool level art education, so I don't feel confident to go into the colour teory behind it. I use artist paints, so some of the result I can get may not be replicable with the available hobby paints (phtalo green + quinacridone magenta = purple [I must thank Pingo for that knowledge]). 

A wash should be able to cover some of the green, thought it depends on what effect you want to have. You could also paint in the shadows with a brown, or just strip and repaint the figure.

• Like 1

Wow thanks dragon, I honestly couldn't even put my finger on what was wrong but that is definitely it. I wouldn't have thought you'd get mixing of pigments just layering over dry black, but that looks like the problem. Will remember to base coat in brown for yellow shades in future. I went over the model with a thin brown glaze/almost wash, and then went over the greenest bits with more. Will have to bring the highlights back out again, but it's looking a lot better. Second time you've rescued me!

Oh no, competition! Now I need to spend more time painting!

Nice start! My plan for Yellow Sign is to shade with Brown Liner and work up through a brown into yellows.

• Like 1

Ha, competition I think not, I've seen your work. I don't know how you get such amazing shading on drybrushing. When I try it just seems to completely cover the earlier coats. Anyway this guy has decided to go green on me again >:( I think it might be the gloss medium I'm using for glazing.

59f1bd8765dcb_CWYellowStage1_75.thumb.jpg.e5ca1091908f86e120f70fc09e0a110e.jpg

Orrr, maybe not? Am I just a green hypochondriac now? I swear there's more green than in the previous pics.

• Like 2

Allright "finished" with these guys. When I say "finished" I mean I'm overcoming my perfectionism to move on to something else because they're serviceable. Tried to use some speed painting techniques, but still took way too long, need to work on that. If anyone's got any tips on how I could have made them better without, layering/glazing/something else that takes forever, they would be much appreciated!

IMG_20171118_182444.jpg

IMG_20171118_182525.jpg

IMG_20171118_182544.jpg

IMG_20171118_182611.jpg

IMG_20171118_182621.jpg

IMG_20171118_182653.jpg

IMG_20171118_182716.jpg

• Like 2