Help! My brush on sealer destroyed my work!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Kendal said:

I have never airbrushed. I simply poured the reaper brush on sealant and went over the model.

How about contacting Reaperś customer service about this?

Maybe they can shed some light on this?

I have used the brush on sealer on all my resin busts, never had a problem.

Sounds like a very unusual reaction.

Was your paint COMPLETELY dry? I had sealer do that when I goop'd on the paint so much it wasn't *quite* dry when I tried to seal it. It seemed mostly dry, but I found it wasn't all the way. Since then, I've started waiting 24hrs between my last coat of paint and sealing, with no further problems.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Kendal said:

Oh yeah. The model had been sitting waiting to be sold and then when it came time LO AND BEHOLD lol. I am truly baffled by it. I DID use a brand new brush when I did this. I pondered if that had something to do with it.

Well as I read this thread.  My thoughts was that the brush wasn't completely clean from the last time you used it.  The bristles may have been course.  Many people use an old crappy brush for sealing and Ive had it peel on me a couple times because of this.  Though it typically doesn't take it down past the primer though...But if its a new brush...I have no clue.

1 hour ago, Kendal said:

Oh yeah. The model had been sitting waiting to be sold and then when it came time LO AND BEHOLD lol. I am truly baffled by it. I DID use a brand new brush when I did this. I pondered if that had something to do with it.

It might have, new brushes have "stuff" in them to keep the bristles nice and pointy, if there was residue that could have something to do with it.  I'm generally baffled, though, normally if someone has problems there's an additive or lack of drying involved.  (Like if you had soap mixed in with your paints or something.)  

2 hours ago, Kendal said:

I mean when I clean minis I use warm water, a toothbrush, and handsoap. Could handsoap be a problem?

Maybe.  I once had the same problem with a mini, where I washed it with a liquid dish soap and didn't rinse it thoroughly enough.  Later, after painting, I went to wash it once more before sealing (it had been touched and had finger oils on it).  Much of the paint in the crevices, where the soap residue was, simply dissolved away, leaving only the high spots painted.  My guess is that the soap prevented the paint from drying completely.

So, now I make sure the mini is completely rinsed and free of soap residue.

EDIT: I also dilute the liquid soap before I use it, so it rinses more easily.  (...And, don't many hand soaps contain oils to prevent your skin from drying and cracking?)

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear

I've seen this, on occasion, when brushing on sealant. I don't think brand of paint or sealant is the issue. I've seen it happen with all combinations of GW/Reaper/Vallejo/P3/Army Painter paints and sealants.

I've never been able to conclusively root cause it, myself, but I can tell you that having experienced this is why I am very, very careful to use a clean brush and to very gently seal with tiny amounts of sealant at a time.

My best guess is that when we gob on too much, and humidity or cold damp, or whatever conditions are just right, the paint can temporarily reactivate, and the brush will take it off.

I think we're fooling ourselves when we pretend that any of these acrylic brands is somehow itself the culprit. They are not so dissimilar as we'd like to think.

To paraphrase Vincent Vega, "This xxxx's freaky, but it happens."

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Kendal said:

Hmmmm. Maybe it would just be better to skip soap altogether?

You still have to get the skin oil / potato chip oil / pizza grease off of them somehow, unless you never touched them.  I'd recommend diluted liquid dish detergent, without any additives.  I've also been experimenting with other de-greasers, including scrubbing it down with rubbing alcohol.  Not much difference from dish detergent, so far.

I hate to admit this, but the only minis I ever wash are resin. Everything else is painted as is regardless of how I handle it, although I do endeavor to handle a mini as little as possible after it has been primed. I have never had a problem with sealer but then I don't typically use sealer on anything but a gaming piece. I handle my competition pieces in the same way as I do any other piece.

There are no solvents in any of the acrylic sealers, so I think you can safely rule that out as the culprit (although I will not paint on Vallejo sealers they gunk up to easy, is airbrush only for those). To me it sounds like it is, indeed, the soap.

• Like 1