Airbrush to Spray Reaper Brush-on Sealer?

Painting Dog

I graduated to the next level of painting obsession and picked up a Badger Patriot 105 airbrush at ReaperCon.  Yay me!

I've already primed a handful of minis, just as part of getting a feel for the brush.  But it occurred to me -- can you use an airbrush to spray on sealers?  I usually give minis (especially ones for tabletop) a coat or two of gloss varnish, then hit them with Tester's Dullcote to take out the shine.  I was wondering if I could substitute sprayed on Reaper Brush-on Sealer for the Dullcote step.  If so, would I thin it?  Or just use it as is?

Enquiring minds want to know!

• Like 1

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you can shoot Reaper’s Brush on Sealer with an airbrush.  Just do light thin coats.  Just a dusting.  I don’t remember if I used the Brush On Sealer as is or slightly thinned.

I regularly varnish my minis with varnish shot (was “varnish broccoli” thanks to autocorrect) through an airbrush.  I was using Liquitex Gloss Varnish for the first coat, but I switched to Golden because the Liquitex was leaving the Bones minis a bit tacky.

For the matte coats, I use Lasquaux Matte Varnish (ordered from Dick Blick) because of how well it knock out the shine from the varnish.  The Lascaux works best unthinned.

Ron

Edited by vutpakdi
  • Like 2

On 10/29/2017 at 6:06 AM, Painting Dog said:

Thanks, Ron!

And may I say, "varnish broccoli" is my favorite image for today. :lol:

I kinda want that as a special edition paint now...

What I like using for airbrushing clearcoats is a Harbor freight airbrush. Depending on the coupon & price is way under $15.00 (not the Badger 150 clone but you could use that I guess). Sprays great & you don't have to worry about getting color in your clear spraying.

• Like 1