Sign in to follow this  
Guindyloo

01450: All Hallow’s Eve

9 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

Thank you! ^_^ It's like a whole new world in painting!

I'm going to poke at you when I have pics up tonight of my sad NMM attempts, if you have time to look them over and give me any advice, I'd really appreciate it!

Sounds great!  I'd be happy to look over those pics and give what advice I can!  ::):

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

OK, not familiar with that application, but I think I can fake it. ^_^ (WARNING: Not my fault if faking it doesn't work very well.)

For color, the important thing is the white balance. I see two places that look like they might have controls for that. On the white bar above the shutter release, there's WB/Auto. This indicates that the phone is guessing at the light, which sometimes works great. For tight shots of highly colored subjects with complex backgrounds, though, it can be problematic. If that's a button, you should be able to change it from there to a color that matches your light. (You might need to experiment, but you should know when it looks on screen like it looks under your lights.) Failing that, the second icon from the right on the very top of the screen might also be a white balance button. Same comments there.

For exposure, there are again a couple of ways that might work the way you would like. First, you can try the horizontal slider at the bottom of the image area of the screen. It's currently set at "0 EV", which means that it's taking its best guess at the right exposure setting. If you disagree, slide to a positive number to brighten the image or negative to darken it. If you have consistent light, though, you might want to play with the button (assuming it's a button) in the center of the white bar (next to the WB button), which might let you set the ISO and shutter speed manually. With consistent light, setting the exposure manually can simplify any weird effects from changing backgrounds.

And ideally, with shutter speeds in the 1/40 second range (as shown here), you should be using something to stabilize the camera. This could be a tripod (I have an attachment for my small tripods that allows me to mount my camera) or a sandbag or bag of rice or the like.

Let me know if any of that helps, if I need to clarify, or if I need to do some more research before trying again.

Ok. Oh my gosh. That is so extremely helpful, Doug! I was afraid to mess around with those settings because I don't know what any of it means, but sliding that ISO slider thing made such a big difference!

Obviously I'm at my office right now with different lighting from home and Skeletor isn't exactly a miniature and it's still just a little off, but I think this is one of the closest to actual colours pictures I've ever taken, despite the bright white monitor in the background.

IMG_2927.jpg.9b6c3470327ffa490d4e82596cc6bed1.jpg

I'll definitely play around with it some more at home, but I think that alone is going to help me tremendously. I had been trying to position the Exposure box to an area that made the light balance to something close to right, but it was never exact. Sometimes by dumb luck it got close to right, but since I was just relying on dumb luck, that's why the pictures have been so inconsistent.

I do have a little tripod for my phone somewhere.....the kitten might have made off with it, but I'll dig it back out.

Thank you so much, Doug! I really, really appreciate it! ^_^

25 minutes ago, Kuro Cleanbrush said:

Sounds great!  I'd be happy to look over those pics and give what advice I can!  ::):

Awesome, thank you! ^_^

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

Thank you so much, Doug! I really, really appreciate it! ^_^

Glad I could fake it in a way that might have worked.

:poke:

• Like 1

Just now, Doug Sundseth said:

Glad I could fake it in a way that might have worked.

:poke:

Hey that's all being an adult is, right?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ok. I took about eleventy billion pictures trying to find the right balance. It worked out best with a dark background and hopefully these look much better than any of my previous pics. 

05599FA6-6768-4190-ADA4-360E0558F0A4.thumb.jpeg.e65dce39c899b1b28d77cb1589422946.jpeg

A1D08F35-8F1E-426E-949A-58F600B3B7DC.thumb.jpeg.543bc51e642f06af1474f796330941d3.jpeg

8AB72C7A-7B01-45AD-B225-1469605D4E1F.thumb.jpeg.a640753d08a7d8d2bee0b5dc5b3c111c.jpeg

I think they’re looking much truer to life. 

@Kuro Cleanbrush HALP! :lol:

So the last time I did NMM it turned out relatively decent - but I was following Marike’s Example on the exact same model, so I just followed her placement. Trying to figure out where the highlights go on my own? Yikes. 

I didn’t do much on the shoulder pads beyond basecoat and start to shade them, but that’s the point that I got frustrated and switched to basecoating the hair. 

I would very much appreciate any and all help!

• Like 13

On 10/29/2017 at 7:50 PM, Guindyloo said:

Also, I’m a little perplexed about what colour to paint that tassel that’s in the front. Purple?

What about some shade of white or silver/light blue?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, strawhat said:

What about some shade of white or silver/light blue?

That’s a thought. I’ll kick it around, thanks!

Alright, feedback heard and applied - I went up several more highlights on both the green and purple fabrics, as well as reworking the purple on the back to match the texture on the front. 

CD1C8956-2BCC-414D-B157-BC9C406C5017.thumb.jpeg.26a7475239b7eed161691266c499db04.jpeg

4890B5A4-BA98-43D9-B79A-936D630F1FAB.thumb.jpeg.80e6d0808d0a82924fae8a325ccfbdc4.jpeg

What do y’all think?

• Like 13

She keeps getting better! The hair definitely helped her face show up. I like the scythe; I'd not have thought to have a gold scythe but it works!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

On 10/29/2017 at 2:36 PM, Talae said:

I am regretting not picking this one up. Looking great so far!

Btw, Talae, she's still up for sale in the store if you're still looking to pick her up. I imagine they'll probably take her down after Halloween.

I appreciate it, but I already placed my recent Reaper order (before seeing that mini) and am out of hobby funds until the New Year.

I am loving watching you paint her, though.

• Like 1

Pretty pleased with her hair, what do y’all think?

29349D07-6B11-42CE-B57C-58D7FEC962CD.thumb.jpeg.70442bd888c0310beaf80bfa109f61b7.jpeg

BDAD24F3-4715-430B-82CD-58B999A590FC.thumb.jpeg.b9f1a77fb0e341d1180788e05bac0e67.jpeg

Basecoat was about half Nocturna Purple Shadow, half MSP Mahogany Brown. Then to that I added MSP Gory Red, did a couple of mixes with that until it was straight Gory Red. Then I added a little bit of MSP Carrot Top Red, then to that I added MSP Lava Orange until it was straight Lava Orange. Then I added MSP Candlelight Yellow and brought that up until it was straight Candlelight Yellow, then I added MSP NMM Gold Highlight for the final highlight. 

• Like 12