CAV color schemes

So I have 4 Rach and 4 Terran models assembled and ready to be painted.

But I'm wondering about color schemes.  I see in the CAV:SO book that a lot of Rach are red with white stripes/accent so I think I may do that.  But I'm not sure what to do with the terran's... is OD green/camo the most common or are there other color schemes that are used in the current lore?

I mean I could paint them pretty much whatever I want...  But I like to have them match the lore, but I'm also not sure I want to do camo  (just got done painting a 101st Airborne list for Bolt Action), so if there's some other common scheme I'd do that, but if not then OD Green/camo it is.

• Like 1
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the cannon response is all units have all the color schemes. The science behind it is all CAVs have a nano coating that can be changed at will so they can have camo that matches the environment or parade colors. It's not good enough to be considered cloaking but it does make them harder to see. 

I realise that leaves you right where you started, so the "Default" color schemes tend to be based on the paints available from Reaper. So Rach is typically painted with 09295: MSP Core Colors: Rach Red. Terrans have 09122: Terran Khaki. But again to each their own. 

• Like 3

On the upside, this means that you can pick whatever colors you want for your unit, and it's good. Terran forces that derive their colors from a real-world unit would be especially appropriate to me.

And if you ever get the urge to paint one in a different scheme, call it the personal colors of an ace pilot. Ritter von Richtofen, anyone? :)

• Like 2
  • Reaper User

In game terms a military unit in CAV has a parade color scheme (which you can make whatever you like) and if you are going to paint up a "canon" unit, we are working on putting those up ASAP at www.cavjournal.com once I can finish coding it.

Rach prefer reds, purples, oranges and other bright colors as they like to stand out and show they are here to fight.

Terran like pretty much what you see today in earth militaries, OD green, browns, blues.

Malverns tend towards purples, blues, silver, gold.

Adons lean towards yellows, browns, and greens.

Ritter are grays, tans, greens (typical ww2 german colors) and blues.

Templar like blues, grays, silvers, white.

Almiths use a lot of schemes and colors typical with the Russian military from ww2 on.

While in the field, as Ludo mentioned they will adjust their outer "skin" to mimic the surrounding area to aid in blending in.

• Like 4

I started a Emperor last night with red and white.  I like how it looks so far, with little more than a partial base coat of red, and some areas in gray which I will bring up to white.  I think it will look very sharp when I'm done.  

For Terran... I'll have to see what I want to do.  Part of me wants to do it in blues and grays in honor of my old unit, the 29th ID.  Which is called the blue and gray because a big part of it is the Virginia national guard, so it's a reference to both the northern and southern forces from the Civil War.  The 29th also part of the first wave at Normandy.

I guess the question is... If I were to bring a Terran force painted like that to some sort of CAV tournament, would people look at me with a WTF? type look?

Edited by Dalth
Fixed a bad typo...
  • Like 2
49 minutes ago, Dalth said:

I started a Emperor last night with red and white.  I like how it looks so far, with little more than a partial base coat of red, and some areas in gray which I will bring up to white.  I think it will look very sharp when I'm done.  

For Terran... I'll have to see what I want to do.  Part of me wants to do it in blues and grays in honor of my old unit, the 29th ID.  Which is called the blue and gray because a big part of it is the Vagina national guard, so it's a reference to both the northern and southern forces from the Civil War.  The 29th also part of the first wave at Normandy.

I guess the question is... If I were to bring a Terran force painted like that to some sort of CAV tournament, would people look at me with a WTF? type look?

Start a WIP thread here in the CAV forums so we can follow your painting progress...?

Also, what was the name of your unit again...? ;-]

J--

20 minutes ago, jsalyers said:

Start a WIP thread here in the CAV forums so we can follow your painting progress...?

Was going to do that tonight for my Rach Emperor.

20 minutes ago, jsalyers said:

Also, what was the name of your unit again...? ;-]

Don't have one yet.  The idea of the blue/gray just occurred to me this morning.  But I was planing on painting the Rach stuff first since I knew what I wanted to do with it.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Savage Coyote said:

Dalth, I think you missed where your unit's name isn't Virginia?  I mean, your post says your units name is Vagina National Guard :)

I keep following you from thread to thread it seems. 

Anyway, a WIP would be fun, but might as well start it in the WIP section and link the post here. Saves the mods from the inevitable move.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Savage Coyote said:

Dalth, I think you missed where your unit's name isn't Virginia?  I mean, your post says your units name is Vagina National Guard :)

Sorry :)

The US Army unit name is the 29th Infantry Division.  Part of that division is the Virginia National Guard... I guess the spell checker got the best of me. :)  Thanks for catching that.  It didn't look right to me, but apparently I didn't have enough coffee yet.  :unsure:

57 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Anyway, a WIP would be fun, but might as well start it in the WIP section and link the post here. Saves the mods from the inevitable move.

That was my plan.  I will be needing some advice on some of the parts of the model anyway, like how to do a decent cockpit and some highlighting.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Savage Coyote said:

"Call the locksmith!"

To answer your question though...no, that scheme would not get WTF responses. More likely, oooohs and aaaahs. :)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Weird-O said:

To answer your question though...no, that scheme would not get WTF responses. More likely, oooohs and aaaahs. :)

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions.

I think once I finish the Emperor I'll start on one of the Terran models and post the WIP so I can get feedback on the color scheme.  If that goes well then at least I'll know for sure what to paint the others as. :)

• Like 2