Sign in to follow this  
SisterMaryNapalm

Let's make a present ... Selfmade 3d Print "Friends"

Hello everyone,

So this is something special.

Not only that 2 days ago I thought I wouldn't be able to paint over the rest of the year, but this is also some kind of a very personal present.

But from the beginning - 2 days ago I got a short text message from my friend (you know the one I am always barbecuing with). He asked me if I was at home and if we could meet. I said yes.

A few minutes later a big rescue vehicle appeared in our road, so I was a bit worried, then remembered ... well, he in fact is paramedic, so I took it lightly, while some people on the road were looking for something that had happened and so on ... you know that story.

Long story short:

The friend of his mum is a big fan of LGB (Lemann Groß Bahn model scale train in 1/43 scale or so) and he always wanted to have a personalized miniature for his displays. Partnering with a fellow scale train fan, they had found someone who made a 3d print sculpt of them. Unfortunately those miniatures didn't come in color so  my friend took them and some reference photos and asked me if I could ... do the magic of colours on the figures and return them in time for the birthday of his mums friend, which is shortly before my travel to Japan in 2 weeks.

I didn't know if that would be possible, but then I got a call informing me that I had been selected for readiness duty overnight before my last shift week, which means that I would sit here and do nothing for 3 days.

Hell yeah - why not. Gimme dat!

So I took the figures and said yes. I think this is an awesome, very personal present and knowing that I was asked to make some black figures into coloured ones makes me happy. I contribut to someones birthday present. Haha. I did that before, but not on such delicate figures. No pressure, Sis. No pressure.

Well then - Lets go:

The figures arrived like this:

jykm-2l5-ed44.jpg

After I cleaned them using soap water and then water, I used my trusty Mr. Primer to get a base coat on them.

That needs to dry now. More updates later.

I think if I don't loose my patience and willingness to do everything in one run, I should be done on wednesday or thursday. We will see!

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

And here we are - base coat is dry and my trusty Mr. Primer didn't disappoint me. Everything coated - everything but the noses where I managed to scratch off the paint. *sigh*. How did I do that? Hm.

Anyway - The level of detail is pretty impressive considering that it was a private print. I didn't see any "lines" or "threads" as I normally know them from 3d prints of that level (got some 3d printed houses at home).

I am really looking forward to paint them. Guess due to the fine level of detail, I will deviate from my common method of painting and will start with a fine shadow and then build up a few layers of colour and leave it that way. I guess everything more would totally ruin those figures.

jykm-2lb-80b6.jpg

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Danilion said:

I am so excited to see how these turn out!

Yeah - me too. But if I said that loudly it would sound as if I don't know what I am doing (which would be correct - Haha)

• Like 1

Thanks!

Short update: Those figures drive me mad.

Though I cleaned them, primed them and worked the hell to make them look good, I never encountered such resistance. Even the thickest, unthinned and dried colour won't stick to the surface and it take coat over coat to cover even the tiniest bit. Thinned color won't hold on the figures at all. Instead, recesses get filled completely, while highlights don't get any colour and even if, the slightest touch with the brush wipes off even dried colour.

I tried the color on some other figures to be sure it's not my mistake and obviously, it isn't. Works perfectly.

Okay. Stay cool, take a flamethrower and BURN THE COLOUR ONTO THE SKIN OF THOSE MOTH****ING FIGURES. GNAAAAAAAAR. DIEEEE! *Foash*.

I will now take a break, eat something and cry a bit then I will continue. If, by this evening, I do not like the outcome so far, I will take drastic measures as discribed above and maybe then I will be successful. Or I will just strip the figure and start again.

We will see.

• Sad 2

What did you prime them with? A primer should provide tooth for the paint to stick to. Sorry to hear you are having a frustrating time. I hate when I am excited about something and then all hell breaks loose!

• Like 1

Hoi,

I primed them using Mr Surface Primer - A Japanese product normally used for highlevel model kit construction. I normally use it with a lot of success and as I wrote - tested it on a differen miniature and it worked without any problems.

But yeah - cannot be helped, I guess.

//

That's where we are currently:

jykm-2ls-01cb.jpg

I am absolutely not satisfied, but considering I could make everything much worse stripping off the color and colour it all again, I guess I keep it that way for now. Eyes will make a difference - hair, too. At least I hope so. Haha. *sigh* Still: great figures.

Trouser for comparison from left to right:

4 layers undiluted paint

2 layers diluted paint and 3 layers undilited paint

7 (!) layers diluted paint. Don't ask me how long that needed to dry.

3 layers slightly diluted paint.

• Like 6

Well, you may be struggling but I think they are looking very nice. If you hadn't have said they were being a pain in the tookus, I would never have known by your photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haha. Thanks Pochi,

My Quality Management Assistant Supervisor Rhinoceros said the same. Well, I guess it said more like ... "gnuff", but I think it means the same. So I will go on and see where this will end :-D

• Haha 1

Not sure then. I haven't used that printer before but the Tamiya  primer is similar. If it goes glossy, indicating that you have applied to much it's almost impossible to get paint to stick. I would be really tempted to strip them and start again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Glitterwolf
      The second Giant Snake from the Artisan Guild set.
      3D Printed on my Elegoo Mars.

WIP :https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69308-lost-world-project-glitterwolf-paints-coldblooded-creatures-and-conquistadores/page/163/#comments

I was inspired by the African Bush Viper.

Added extra pics taken indoors after applying antishine varnish below.

• By SisterMaryNapalm
      Wololo!

Haven't posted this little project here until now, because I was too lazy to translate it and on top of that not sure if it was too much skin or not enough,
      so I first had to browse through other pieces of KDM work to check if it was okay.

Found the exact same picture of one of my references, so I thought: Okay - I can try to translate it now.

After my surprisingly effective try to paint skin on this fellow (check ->here<-) I thought: Why not try and replicate the result on another figure. So I browsed through my pile of shame and found a KDM miniature with barely any clothes on her. So I thought: What perfect way to train smooth transitions.

So after wiping off the dust and priming her ...

I started working on the base layers and first shadows.

After I had applied some more shadows and highlights, I noticed I had defined the thin red line between the muscles of her thigh a bit too strong ...

And in the process of painting her feet, I somehow lost her toes - Oh, my god!

So while I was working on the other parts of her body and slowly building up the paint, I tried to work on her right thigh and on her right foot and get back the definition of the toes.

So after a full day of recovery operations, I finally had a look at my corrections and was surprised ...

In the end I had undone all my previous work and recreated the wrong transition ...

But I found the toes! Yay!

The outlining was a bit too strong, so I had to correct that as well ...

But I managed to make her skin surprisingly smooth.

In the end, I had to repaint the whole muscle section I worked on for a long time.

But now she's got beautiful buns and thighs

buns and thighs

Time for me to map out the other body parts ... making progress. Wonderful!

And while I am fighting her skin, Rhini took a reference book for NMM (In German, I used this to joke about metal painting rhinos - but unfortunately this only work in German)

But ... to be honest. I have no idea how I have to paint her dagger. I really don't know. I've got to think about it. I've painted NMM only once - it was okay, but not enough to make me feel safe doing it.

Well ... we will see.

• By SisterMaryNapalm
      Yes! We can do it again! Let's make a tank! Let's make a beautiful tank!

Once again, it's a diorama project based on a game scene, once again, it's Combat Mission.

In this particular diorama, the commander of a Panzer III M is a reallylucky  person. In a shootout during the Let's Play of German wargaming channel "TaktikfuchsTV", his Panzer III got hit around 20-25 times, prompting everyone to believe that this particular tank was dead. And I mean ... DEAD!

But to everyone's surprise, the crew reentered the vehicle and drove away - going like:

Here's the scene:

Kauder reenters his tank (In German)

So I got me a commanders figure and a tank ...

First off, some pictures to see what this project will look like:

So I got me a Panzer III from Tamiya and started to do some minor conversions ... and over the course of one afternoon, this vehicle was finished.

I am really proud of those selfmade smoke launchers.

The vehicle will be displayed with open hatches. That's a challenge due to the really lame interior, but that's not a problem. I'll use colors to make the less detailed parts dark and the detailed parts white - I hope that will work!

Tomorrow I'll go over the armor and do the shell damages. The only thing I am not certain about is the frontal armor provided by the spare tracks.
      I don't know how those look when they are hit. They are pretty massive and I simply cannot imagine them looking the same way as a normal armor plate when hit.

I've got to dig deeper into it.
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      So, after quite some time, it's time to present some minis again. This time it's a group of Forge Worlds Death Korps of Krieg soldiers.

Those are a few prototype miniatures for a friends Imperial Guard army. If he likes the paintjob, we'll do them all in this pattern.

Oh, yeah - and just in case anyone goes "nice" or "awesome" or "excellent" again - HE'S WATCHING YOU.

If you really don't have got anything else to say, leave me a "like" instead. I take a "like" as a nod to my participation in this forum. A "nice" is getting me nowhere.

So long.
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      And here we go again. I never get tired trying out new stuff and doing multiple projects at the same time.

The idea for this one approached me when I watched a Let's Play series by German Let's Player "DerHobbygeneral", who playes complex strategy games on PC.

That certain series was a mission in the strategy game "Combat Mission: Red Thunder", a game set on the Eastern Front of WWII. The mission is the recreation of the tank battle between German and Russian forces in the opening hours of Operation Bagration, the Soviet 1944 summer offensive that managed to crush the German Central Army and push the Germans back to the borders of East Prussia.

Combat Mission itself is a really complex game, simulating not only realistic projectile trajectories, armor and penetration calculation, but also randomly generating names for unit leaders and therefore emotionally connecting the player to his - or her - units.

One of these commanders was Unterfeldwebel Austermann, commandeering a Kpfw V Panther A, and throughout the game one of the main factors in stopping the Soviet tank assault at Studienka. The player and all commentators remarked on his excellent performance in the game and he became something like a meme. There were even suggestions of making a compilation of his best actions as some kind of memorial service in case he bit the dust.

And actually, a few episodes later, the Panther got hit a couple of times and was rendered inoperable. A shell even penetrated the front armor. While the battle for Studienka was raging, everyone focused on the question if Austermann and his crew would survive. And they did! What a remarkable turn in events! But I felt bad for the Panther, which was left behind.

Here's the scene - it's in German, unfortunately.

https://youtu.be/EJfQAVfhEoc?list=PLa3dxHLq2CvZBNhkqqaTX7jvSe7iOUjTj&t=752

Then it struck me that maybe Austerman felt bad, too, and when I saw a certain figure on a miniature shop website, I KNEW I was going to make a diorama about it. So I bought a couple of figures and a cheap old Panther A kit and ... now I am on a new project again - YAY!

I haven't decided which crew I take. I like both sets, but I guess I will go with the Dragon set. The other set can be used for a different project. But I guess, I will see once the overall layout is set.

Let's go!
  • Who's Online   33 Members, 2 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)